Professionals providing mattresses

Suffering from severe back ache, will changing my mattress help it ?
I have consulted a doctor and he says it might be due to the soft foam mattress and is like it would be better if I change it to the hard sponge/posture care mattress.
Can this help ?
Quality mattresses at St. Catherines, “Surplus Furniture & Mattress Warehouse”

Hi marionjleblanc,

There is more about the most common symptoms that people may experience when they sleep on a mattress and the most likely (although not the only) reasons for them in post #2 here.

One of the most common reasons for lower back pain is a mattress that is either sagging or is too soft and if your pain tends to go away over the course of the day after you get up and then you feel it again when you wake up the next morning or if you sleep on other mattresses and don’t experience the same symptoms then it’s very possible that your mattress could be the cause of your back pain and if you are sleeping on a softer mattress then you may do better with something firmer.

It may also be a good idea to check the support system under your mattress to make sure that it is perfectly flat and doesn’t flex or bend under the weight of your mattress and the people sleeping on it. You can check this by putting your mattress on the floor to see if it makes any difference (a suitable support system should have very little to no flex and would be very similar to the floor).

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

The best place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps most importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Southwestern, ON area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply) are listed in post #8 here.

Phoenix