"proprietary materials"

I really like diamond and stress-o-pedic. tried to get more information on both. got some basic information but it appears that density and ifd / ild is “proprietary”

anyone else bump into this.

what is proprietary about a bed?

Hi domiagnew,

You can read a little more about “so called” proprietary materials and using this as a justification for not disclosing what I would consider to be essential information here and here and here.

While I can certainly understand that “comfort specs” such as ILD would legitimately be proprietary because they aren’t particularly useful or necessary to know (your testing will give you all the information you need about whether a mattress is either soft or firm enough and is a good match for you in terms of PPP) and there is also other information that would be legitimately proprietary as well such as the names of their component or foam suppliers, the quality specs of a mattress (including the density of any memory foam or polyfoam layers in a mattress or the type and blend of any latex) are important to know to identify any lower quality and less durable materials in a mattress and are an important part of making meaningful comparisons. I would avoid any mattress where the manufacturer or retailer either can’t or won’t provide them.

Diamond unfortunately seems to be less transparent than I would have hoped they would be (you can see some comments about them in post #2 here and the posts it links to).

Stress-O-Pedic on the other hand has committed to providing their customers with the information that they need to make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses (see this topic) so the information you need should be available to you (and the retailer you are dealing with should be willing to call them to find out any specs that they don’t already have available).

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here and the quality specs that I would consider to be an essential part of any mattress purchase are in this article.

If a retailer or manufacturer either can’t or won’t provide these then I would look elsewhere because you would be making a blind purchase which is always a very “high risk” choice that would have a much higher chance of buyers remorse much too quickly after a purchase.

Phoenix