Puffy Memory Foam Construction

Like many here, I’ve been on an extended quest to educate myself about mattresses and the industry in order to find a good long term sleep solution. This forum has been tremendously helpful.

After all the reading, I’ve determined that I would be best served by a memory foam hybrid, preferably a customizable one (zippered casing). I won’t go into all the personal details of my needs because that isn’t the point of this post. I have also been considering DIY, but I would prefer to order a fully assemble mattress because they usually come with a decent trial period, whereas most of the individual component vendors for coils, comfort layers, and covers aren’t very generous in that regard.

I was very close to pulling the trigger on a Puffy LUX Hybrid model. But I had some questions about the construction as the website was not specific about the components. using vague terms such as “Plush Contouring Layer.”

So I sent an email inquiry to them with the following questions:

  1. What is the composition of the Comfort Quilt-Fiber Layer?

  2. What type of foam is the Plush Contouring Layer? What is it’s thickness and density?

  3. What type of foam is the Cooling Cloud Layer? From the description it sounds like viscoelastic (memory foam). What is it’s thickness and density?

  4. The Cloud Comfort Foam layer also looks like memory foam? What is it’s thickness and density?

  5. What type and model are the Contour-Adapt Coils? Who is the manufacturer? What thickness are they and what is the gauge of the steel in the coils?

I received an AI generated reply within a day, but was very surprised and disappointed by the substance of the response. Every inquiry about the type and quality of the foams, except for thickness, was essentially “we don’t have that information.” What the heck?. Needless to say, I have eliminated Puffy from my list of potential vendors.

@BackScience
@yawnder
@EngineeredSleep
@DLX

It’s very hard to find out what the specifics are of who and what makes each layer of each mattress. I know with the nest and wild hybrid the exact specs of each layer would be told to you by the owner. That’s why I got one.

But also I recommend emailing them if you’d like the exact specs, they might tell you. Brooklyn bedding is happy to tell you the exact materials in all their beds and they make good beds as well.

Thanks for sharing. We’ve reached out to Puffy in the past as well and experienced similar AI interactions.

Occasionally, Puffy plants pop up here as well and I take it very personally :joy:

What was it about the LUX you liked? Happy to try and pull up some options we know are durable and made with transparency.

NikkiTMU

1 Like

Hi NikkiTMU, back in June you had replied to my message about the hip pain I had experienced with the LMZ 3 layer latex, and I also noted that I had seen a lot of mattresses that used thinner multiple layers for their comfort layers, rather than a 3" slab as many latex beds use. You told me about progressive resistance, so I did a little more research on that topic and determined that I probably needed a mattress that offered that. And I decided that full-on latex probably isn’t for me.

As I restarted my mattress search anew I came across Puffy, and it seemed like a possibility. And with a 1 yr trial period it looked pretty risk free. But the vagueness of the build prompted me to inquire about the specs, for which they didn’t provide a good answer.

In terms of a desired features, what I think I need is:

I’ve learned that with my age, weight and back problems that pressure relief is very important, so I’m leaning towards at least some memory foam included in the mattress, but support is important of course also. So as much as I would like to go organic or at least “clean natural” I think I may need memory foam.

So I’m settling on a memory foam hybrid, Centipur certification or equal preferred for all foams. If I can find good pressure relief, I could live with latex or polyfoam, I’m not committed to memory foam. And I sleep warm, which is an issue I know with the memory foam.
Probably using 8" Texas Pocket Coils in the 15.5 g size; or Leggett & Platt Quantum Edge Elite
Comfort layer totalling 3" though 2" may be adequate (I do have a 2" Talalay topper I can add)

My preference is for a mattress with a zippered cover for customization. I am not opposed to going the DIY route. But I would prefer a full ready made mattress for the trial period, and in many cases free shipping. It seems that most of the vendors selling individual components don’t have a very generous return policy, and many don’t accept returns at all.

Also, the websites selling comfort layer materials don’t seem to offer their materials in the thinner layers for a progressive build. On several at which I looked, the thinnest they offer is 2 inches.

It seems that most of the mattress makers using zippered cases are using latex in thicker layers. I’m not finding as many options that offer progressive resistance, memory foam, and a zippered case. One company that seems to make a quality product is Verlo, but they don’t have any sort of trial period or return policy, and they can be a little pricey.

As far as my budget, for a queen size mattress, I would like to stay around $1,500 or less if possible. But if needed, I can spend a bit more.I’m just not interested in a $4,000 mattress.

But if I find a suitable candidate, I can forgo the zippered case, it’s just a strong preference.

Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

Good morning,

How did you go about getting information from Brooklyn Bedding regarding their materials? I asked and was told they didn’t have the information and if they did they would not be able to share it. The failure here could be with the rep I was talking with. thank you

1 Like

Hey rookie7,

Brooklyn Bedding is very transparent regarding their mattress specs, otherwise they would not be here on TMU. Here is a link to their specs. Sometimes there is a lag on newly introduced products, but you should be able to ascertain them via their online chat. Depending on which mattress you need the specs on, we often have them, and other subscribers here who have queried Brooklyn Bedding have them too.

What specific mattress are you looking for information?

Maverick

I am confused as I’ve had a pretty good experience with Puffy overall. I’ve been comfortable with the mattress so far, and honestly haven’t had any major complaints.

1 Like

Hi N01mattress,

Welcome back, glad to see you are keeping an eye out in the forum.

That’s great to hear, and your experience is certainly valid. If you’re comfortable on your Puffy and it’s working well for you, that’s what matters most from a comfort perspective. Your experience with Puffy isn’t unusual, and there are certainly people who are happy with their mattresses.

One of the things we try to teach here at TMU, though, is that comfort and the quality of the materials used in a mattress are two separate issues. A mattress can feel very comfortable and still contain lower-quality or less durable materials, just as a mattress made with higher-quality materials may not be comfortable for a particular person.

In other words, comfort is personal, while the quality and durability of the materials can be evaluated more objectively. The quality of the foams, springs, and other components, along with their specifications and how they are used in the overall construction, can give us some meaningful indicators of how well a mattress is likely to hold up over the long term.

A well-designed mattress using good-quality materials can certainly be made comfortable. But when we’re looking beyond how a mattress feels on day one and considering how it is likely to perform over many years, the materials and construction become an important part of the equation.

So TMU’s focus isn’t to say that someone can’t be happy with a Puffy or another particular mattress. Rather, we encourage people to look at both sides of the equation: PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) for suitability, and the quality and specifications of the materials for durability and value.

If your Puffy is comfortable and continues to perform well for you, that’s a good outcome. We simply encourage shoppers to understand what is inside the mattress so they can make a more informed decision about both comfort and long-term durability.

Cheers and congrats on your Puffy!

Maverick

2 Likes