Pulling the Trigger - Ultimate Dreams 13" Gel Memory Foam Mattress

Hi Synd95,

Thanks for a great update … and just wait till the button your hubby hits is the massage button … on full force … and the remote control is hidden in the bedding somewhere :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi, I came upon your site today Phoenix! I am thrilled as this is going to save me so much money, time, hassle, and feeling “cheated” by the mattress industry:)

I would like to find out if there are any updates on Jax Mattress? I am thinking about going with his Golden Mattress: Their Lexington Gel Euro Top. It is a hybrid with latex foam and pocket coils. It is under $800 out the door for a king. I was also told by another person (not from Jax Mattress) this was like or is what they use at the Hyatt? If so, I really like the beds at the Hyatt.

We were thinking about taking a family vacation early January to Daytona. I would like to visit Fox Mattress, but their lowest price point for a king is 1k! I am willing to pay an extra few hundred if it is even better than what I just mentioned by Golden Mattress!

Help please:)

Hi maximizedmom77,

Based on their website they still appear to carry Golden mattresses and Bedboss memory foam mattresses and they now seem to carry mLily mattresses as well (BedBoss and mLily both use memory foam and polyfoam that come from the same factory in China).

I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses or their specs that the retailers and manufacturers in the hundreds of forum lists throughout the forum carry on their floor or have available online (it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market) but checking their websites and making some preliminary phone calls to the retailers/manufacturers that are on the lists is always a good idea before you decide on which retailers or manufacturers you wish to deal with anyway. This will tell you which of them carry mattresses that would meet your specific criteria, are transparent about the materials in their mattresses, and that carry the type of mattresses that you are interested in that are also in the budget range you are comfortable with. Once you have checked their websites and/or talked with the ones that interest you then you will be in a much better position to decide on the ones that you are most interested in considering or visiting based on the results of your preliminary research and conversations.

There is more information about the 3 most important parts of “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While I can’t speak to how a mattress will feel for anyone else because there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person … outside of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress always depends on knowing the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you can find out the information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to confirm that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

I don’t see a Lexington Gel Eurotop on their website but if you can find out the specifics of all the layers and components in the mattress and post them on the forum I’d certainly be happy to let you know if there are any lower quality materials or obvious weak links in the mattress that would be a cause for concern in terms of durability.

There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover, layer thicknesses, layer firmnesses, and overall design (which would be very unlikely) then there really isn’t a way to match one mattress to another one in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) based on the specifications of the mattresses.

Mattress manufacturers generally try to differentiate their mattress from the mattresses made by other manufacturers and don’t normally try to “match” another mattress that is made by a different manufacturer so while you may find several mattresses that use “similar” materials or designs and there would be many others that are in a similar general category or firmness range … they will generally have different combinations of foam layers and components.

Unless a manufacturer specifically says in their description of a mattress that one of their mattresses in the same general category is specifically designed to “match” or “approximate” another one in terms of firmness or “feel” and PPP (or they are very familiar with both mattresses and can provide reliable guidance about how they compare based on the “averages” of a larger group of people) … the only reliable way to know for certain how two mattresses would compare for you in terms of how they “feel” or in terms of firmness or PPP would be based on your own careful testing or actual sleeping experience on both of them.

If you know the specifications of all the materials and components in two mattresses you are comparing then making durability comparisons based on the specifications of both mattresses is simpler than trying to compare “comfort” and PPP (which is much more subjective) but the durability of the materials in a mattress has very little to do with how if feels or performs because a mattress that uses lower quality and less durable materials can feel the same or very similar to a mattress that uses higher quality and more durable materials in a showroom or when it is still relatively new … it just won’t last as long.

The Golden Mattress you are considering would certainly have a different design and have different materials and components than the mattress you slept on at the Hyatt and while two mattresses that are different from each other can feel “similar” to some people … they would probably feel quite different to others because how a mattress “feels” is very subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual sensitivities and perceptions.

As you know I think highly of Fox Mattress and they are one of the members of this site and would certainly be well worth a visit if you are going there anyway.

While the price of a mattress is certainly one of the more important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase … there are many other parts to the “value” of a mattress purchase as well and unfortunately there isn’t a “formula” that can be used to assess or “calculate” value because there are so many different variables and criteria involved that may be more or less important to different people. In other words … the “value” of a mattress purchase is always relative to how they compare to the other finalists you are considering or to the other mattresses that are available to you in your area or online (if you are also looking at online options) in terms of PPP, the quality and durability of the materials, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. There are many reasons that a mattress that may be “good value” for one person may not be worth considering for someone else.

In its simplest form … choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to first finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in (either locally or online) and that can provide you with all the information you need to know to make an informed choice and make meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Thanks for your detailed reply!

Here is what I found out about the above said mattress:

2" cool action gel memory foam
2" resilient super soft foam
750 luxury individual pocketed springs
Cool breathable Matlasee knit cover

Anything else I should find out?

Hi maximizedmom77,

The information that you need to find out is listed in this article.

The information you listed is missing the density of the foam layers and the thickness of the innerspring (so you can add up the layers and components to make sure they equal the thickness of the mattress).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix

This string arrived in my mailbox this morning and I just had to say hi and give an update. It’s been several years since we purchased our adjustable bed and we are still super happy. The bed has been terrific and through some life changing events we’ve been able to tailor our needs easily with the bed. Husband had a serious head injury (sports related) and he was kept comfortable throughout rehab in this bed. No need for hospital bed or any thing. I had a bout with vertigo and thank goodness for the bed through that time. It was critical I stayed upright when sleeping and I never woke up with a backache or any discomfort! When I drive by Holly Hill I send good thoughts to Fox Mattress. They sold us the right mattress and frame for us and we couldn’t be happier!

Happy New Year to all!

Hi Synd95,

Thanks for taking the time to come back and share another update a few years later … I appreciate it!

It’s great to hear that all your choices worked out so well for you … especially considering some of the challenges you were facing…

Happy New Year to you as well.

Phoenix

That is great to hear about Fox Mattress! Sounds like the drive out there is more than worth it:)

Does an adjustable bed from there run more than 2k? Do they use organic materials?

Hi maximizedmom77,

A phone call to Fox Mattress would be the best source for specific information about the materials in their mattresses or the prices of their adjustable beds (I don’t keep a record of this type of this type of information). Online advertised prices for adjustable beds are often price controlled so I would always contact the stores you are considering to find out their “best” prices rather than just looking at websites for their “advertised” prices.

I would also keep in mind that none of the other mattresses you mentioned in your previous posts use organic or even all natural materials. Organic certifications may be important to a few people but they aren’t particularly important to “most” people who are more concerned with the “safety”, performance, and durability of the materials in a mattress than with organic certifications and I would keep in mind that an organic certification doesn’t affect the quality, durability, or performance of a material.

There is more information about the different levels of organic certifications in post #2 here and some of the benefits of an organic certification in post #3 here and there is more about the different types of organic and safety certifications in post #2 here and more about some of the differences between organic and safety certifications in post #2 here that can help you decide whether an organic certification is important to you or whether a “safety” certification is enough.

Phoenix

Hi again! We still have not bought a mattress. If you were to choose between golden mattress from jax mattress and a mattress from fox mattress, would fox be a much better choice?

If we go to fox, I really hope they will be extremely knowledgeable in knowing what a good fit is for my husband and me.

Hi again

It’s been 3 years since we bought out mattress at Fox. It is still in perfect shape and we are as comfortable as the day we purchased it! Amazing it truly is like new.

I cannot sing the praises of Fox Mattress any louder. They came through with what they promised and here we are 3 years later and everything is still true. You absolutely can’t go wrong if you take the time and spend the effort to try out mattresses, ask questions and (I know this sounds silly) but stick your nose in the mattress materials to see if you get any scent from them. I’m super sensitive to smells and when I have to sleep on a memory foam mattress when away from home, I can’t stand the smell. Once the foam comes in contact with body heat, the smell (to me) is unbearable. Fox let me go into their warehouse and let me smell all their materials. I know they thought I was crazy but there is NO SMELL from our bed and never has been.

Good luck finding the perfect bed. Sleep is way too important to make the wrong choice.

Cyndi.

Thank you! So glad to hear you got a great mattress! So rare these days! Do you mind me asking what exactly you got? We plan to go there in next few days. Do they offer any discount if you mention the mattress underground?

Phoenix,

Here are the rest of the specs by golden mattress from jax mattress:

9 inch pocketed spring system. 2 inch of 2 lb soft foam. 2 inch of 4lb slow recovery cool gel memory foam. 2 inch of plush foam quilted at the top. 15 inch profile.

Thoughts?

HI

Look back in this string to message #5. I posted a lot when I was looking and in 5 listed what we got (I don’t remember just know it is GREAT!) Yes we got the discount with no problem at all. Good luck! Hope all works out well.

Cyndi

Cyndi,

Thanks so much for your time and confirmation of a well built product! Something that gets the most use without us ever remembering!

Hi maximizedmom77,

It would depend on the specifics of each mattress I was comparing. There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Having said that … Fox Mattress is a member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency so all else being equal in terms of the mattresses themselves I would tend to lean towards making a purchase from them.

They are certainly knowledgeable and can provide you with good guidance about the pros and cons of different mattresses but again you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress so any final choice about which mattresses you prefer or which mattress to purchase will always need to be based on your own “informed best judgement” since nobody else can make the choice for you.

Yes ,., they provide a 5% discount to the members of the forum if you let them know you are a member here.

If you can provide the density of the top 2" layer I’d be happy to make some comments about the durability of the materials and the mattress “as a whole”.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

1.5 lbs in top layer

Hi maximizedmom77,

That’s a little thicker and lower density than the “no more than about an inch or so” of lower quality/density materials that I would normally suggest in the guidelines here.

Once there is about 2" or more of lower quality/density (less than 1.8 lb density in a one sided mattress) and less durable materials or “unknown” materials in the upper layers of a mattress then the odds of more rapid foam softening and breakdown that can result in the premature loss of comfort and/or support would be higher and foam softening and the loss of comfort and support isn’t covered by mattress warranties (see post #174 here).

Phoenix

Thank you for all your help! We actually were in the car travelling to fox mattress when you wrote. We bought their chiropractor’s dream and it will be delivered this Friday:)

Hi maximizedmom77,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix