Purchase for a Condo in Maui

What a wonderful resource! I’ve read tutorials and found terrific post such as list of LA vendors. I’ve only purchased three mattresses in my life, cheapo out of college and two high-end Airloom innerspring mattresses…which I’ve loved but now that I read all this I have to wonder if I really got what I paid for. Oh well, they’ve been good.

Now, I’m looking to replace a mattress at a condo in Maui. It’s a relatively high-end place and we try to make sure our unit is quality to encourage rentals. Id like to replace with something in the $3-4,000 range. Research from your tutorials has me leaning towards an all natural latex mattress for some reasons below, but I’d appreciate your input on my approach…

1. I was looking to go try configurations at two Latex manufacturers here in LA, that are members of the Mattress Underground, FoamSweetFoam and Flexus Comfort. I was attracted to the way they provide the mattress in three sections so you can customize materials and comfort. But have some questions. I think I need to buy a 9" (there are some height issues with built in’s) though I’d prefer 12" both for comfort and because many renters are large/older people in the 220+ weight range. I’m thinking that I’d buy a firmer foundation than I would for home, for longevity and to support larger people. I might even buy a medium (vs soft) comfort layer as the resort manager can add a layer of memory foam for renters who want a softer bed. Do you have any suggestions for the IDL I should be aiming for in these layers?

2. I’m thinking that with these two manufacturers if one layer (say the comfort zone) wore out before the rest, I could replace one layer at a time and extend the use/value over time. Does that make sense?

3. FoamSweetFoam seems more expensive and they can provide all Talalay layers, with extra cost. Flexus is less expensive and use Talalay in the comfort layer and two layers of Dunlop in the foundation. I was leaning towards paying for all Talalay as it sounds like it’s more durable and would provide a better long term value for a high usage situation. Does that make sense? Are there other questions I should be asking to assess the quality between these two manufacturers?

4. I compared both these manufacturers to a Sleep Science 9" Latex mattress that Costco sells for $2999.99. This appears to be all Talalay. Watching video it implies the 6" foundation layer is 32 IDL and the 3" comfort layer is 19 ILD. The layers are glued together and hence can’t be replaced (like above) but buying from Costco has some benefits including delivery and return policy. The FoamSweetFoam is a bit more expensive but more customizable. The Flexus is less expensive but not all Talalay. Any advice on these option vs. going with the Costco?

1. I found another topic with long list of retailers in Los Angeles so I’m also rethinking the entire Latex vs. Innerspring which I’m more used to. Any advice on the longevity or price/value ratio of these two technologies for this kind of use?

2. Finally shipping and in particularly removing the old mattress are a big deal in Maui. So I might need to go with a local provider. I didn’t find anything searching forum. Do you have any trusted sources anywhere on the island of Maui.

Thanks so much for any insight and advice! :cheer:

Hi ssackett,

There is more in the foundation post here about the types of foundations or other support systems that tend to work best for different types of mattresses but latex mattresses and “foam” mattresses in general tend to do best with a rigid non flexing slatted foundation so this is what I would choose for any latex mattress regardless of the weight of the people sleeping on it. If height is an issue then a low profile foundation will be just as “supportive” as a standard foundation.

There is more about the effect of thickness in both layers and mattresses in post #14 here. Most people will be fine with about 8" to 9" of latex unless they are in much higher weight ranges (in the upper 200’s or higher) but there are certainly some that may prefer the “feel” of a thicker mattress even in lower weight ranges. It may be worth considering a 9" mattress that is a little firmer and then having a softer 3" topper for those that would prefer a softer sleeping surface.

I would also be aware that not all people like the resilience or “feel” of latex so it may also be worthwhile having a topper with a different material for those who aren’t used to sleeping on a more resilient material and may prefer the “feel” of something else. This way you could have a “base” mattress that you can use by itself for many of your tenants but which can be fine tuned with one or two toppers so the tenants can customize their sleeping surface without needing to rearrange any layers. Of course I don’t know if this would be practical in terms of storage space or the effort involved with a typical renter.

There are many variables involved in choosing the ILD’s for any specific mattress and each online manufacturer or retailer will know more about their own mattresses and components and “matching” the options they have available to specific people or applications than anyone else so a more detailed conversation with each of them would be your most reliable source of guidance about your firmness and design choices for the specific mattresses they make (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Yes … outside of the ability to rearrange or exchange layers … this is one of the significant benefits of a “component” mattress with a zip cover.

There is more about the differences between Talalay and Dunlop in post #7 here and there is more about the different types and blends of latex in general in post #6 here (as you can see there are different blends of each type of latex which can affect the price). I would treat the choice between Talalay and Dunlop as a preference choice though not a “better worse” choice. Latex in general is the most durable type of foam material and they would be very comparable in terms of durability.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between different mattresses, materials, and options based on the criteria that are most important to you … but both of the manufacturers you are considering are members of this site and compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency and IMO either one of them would make a great final choice.

You can see my thoughts about buying from Costco or other big box stores in post #4 here. The Sleep Science mattress you are considering use good quality materials but I would want to know the specifics about the type and blend of latex they use (most likely blended Talalay) so you can make more meaningful “apples to apples” comparisons. While they would be a “better than average” choice compared to most mainstream mattresses … for most people they wouldn’t be in the same “value” range as the other options you are looking at. It would be an “all or nothing” choice because they don’t have any options to customize or exchange the layers after a purchase either initially or down the road. I’m not sure of the prices you were looking at but I think it’s also more costly than either of the other two 9" options you are considering.

Again … these are preference choices rather than “better/worse” choices. There is more about latex support cores vs innerspring support cores in post #2 here but in most cases the weakest link of a mattress in terms of durability is in the quality/durability of the upper layers … not in the support cores they use. There is more about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to each person in post #4 here.

Post #2 here includes a link to a list of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Hawaiian Islands and also includes links to several other topics with more feedback from members there as well.

The tutorial post also includes this link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (including latex) and I believe that most of these would probably ship to Hawaii.

This topic also has more information about recycling or disposing of old mattresses that may also be helpful.

Phoenix