Purchased an IComfort Savant. Mistake?

Hi worldastage,

The potential “good news” about your purchase is that even lower quality/value materials such as those used in the iComfort can provide good PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) in a showroom and for some time after that. The problem is that lower quality materials will soften and degrade faster than more durable higher quality materials and the loss of comfort and support that this leads to is not covered by warranty (unless it includes impressions in the mattress which are deeper than the warranty exclusion which is not the norm). You can see more of my thoughts and some of the specifics of the iComfort lineup (including the savant) in post #11 here.

The “not so good” news is that there are many mattresses made by smaller independent or local manufacturers in the same or lower budget range that would provide you with similar PPP that use better quality materials, will last you much longer, and have better value.

I guess this would depend on what the details of their return policy are but from the site return policy information here it appears that their return policy only covers an exchange which means you would be limited to the mattresses they sell.

They do have a house brand which they design themselves and have manufactured for them and out of the mattresses they carry … I would consider these to be the best overall value. They list the quality and density of the foams they use (which is what all manufacturers should do) and IMO compare favorably to the iComfort mattresses. Their gel memory foam is a better quality “swirl” gel memory foam than the gel memory foam used in the iComfort, the “regular” memory foam is slightly lower density (4 lbs) but is deeper in the mattress (under the gel memory foam), and the polyfoam base layer is probably higher quality than the Serta as well and the price is also lower.

In my conversations with him … he is more knowledgeable and more service oriented than most retailers and is committed to providing the best quality and value he can inside of the brand limitations he has so at least you have purchased from a retailer with integrity.

Whether it s worth exchanging would depend on all the factors involved because you would be exchanging for a lower cost (probably better value) mattress but you wouldn’t be able to get a refund on the difference. It would also depend on how suitable the Savant is for your long term use and how much effect foam softening will have on your alignment (if you are on the edge of good alignment now then foam softening may take you over the edge more quickly) but if I did do an exchange it would be for one of the Summerfields. My tendency though now that you have bought the Savant would be to keep it for as long as it provides the comfort and support that you need rather than incur the cost of an exchange (unless it becomes obvious within the exchange period that the mattress wouldn’t be suitable for you in the long term) but when it comes time to replace it I would look next time at smaller local or independent brands with better quality and value.

Phoenix