Purchased Latex Mattress from Flexus!

Made the plunge and have slept a couple of nights on the new 10" mattress from Flexus. Soft upper 100% Talalay with split his/hers sides; Dunlop latex in firm, firm, and the other side in medium, medium. Good dealing with James from Flexus! No charge for delivery and two employees set the mattress up for us, changing the layers as they had soft, med, firm on each side. The medium side is just slightly thicker than the firm but nothing significant. However, a couple of layers along the outside edge have jagged edges where they were cut which was placed inside towards each other (in the center of the bed). I noticed a bit of a snag where a piece of latex is separated slightly from the edge (just a sliver about 2 inches long) along the edge and a bit of crumble here and there along the edge of the layer. Is this something that would affect the wear or is it a normal condition of the latex when cut?

The bed is quite comfortable and for the first time I can sleep on my stomach which is lovely! The medium is a little firmer than I thought it would be but will I think the softer density would not support my weight so am not sure I want to try it. Husband likes the firm and is glad he didn’t get extra firm (he loves a firm mattress).

Hi Archaeo,

As you know you made a great quality/value choice … and Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Both the “sliver” and the “crumbles” are a normal “side effect” of the cutting process and won’t affect the feel or the durability of the latex or the mattress.

It sounds like you are in the comfort/support range that is suitable for you but there will be an initial break in and adjustment period with any new mattress over the course of the first few weeks as the latex loses any of its initial “false firmness” and the cover loses its initial stiffness (see post #3 here) so it will soften up a little but it’s always nice to know that you can do some fine tuning if you need to.

I’m looking forward to any comments or feedback you’ve had the chance to share once you’ve slept on it for a few weeks.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix for your comments. It is good to know that the edges of the latex layers are nothing to worry about and are a normal condition of cutting. I will send along my impressions of the mattress after a few weeks. It is already so much of an improvement over the too too firm Serta box spring mattress we had been using for many years. I could not sleep at all on my stomach so moved onto my side and even with the use of a tempurpedic topper on my half of the bed, my hips would hurt by morning. The latex is so much cooler to sleep on and I don’t sink down into it. Instead the latex offers support, yet yields to the hip and shoulder area which takes the pressure off those areas of the body. I believe the configuration of Talalay over Dunlop is a good fit for us and we are both very excited to have sleeping surfaces that differ but offer each of us the comfort level we require.