Pure Echo firmness

Hi-

I am considering purchasing a Pure Echo mattress from My Green Mattress.com for my son in a twin (he’s 4 yrs old). I’ve seen some reviews from parents and they seems to really like it.

We also wanted to purchase one for ourselves in a Queen, since we wanted to buy a more traditional mattress, specifically without latex, memory foam, etc (just personal preference). But I haven’t seen any reviews where the bed was bought for adults.

We were told by the owner that the bed is really firm and we were wondering if anyone that has had experiences with this bed could comment on the firmness and let me know if the firmness is similar to a bed that I could actually try out from a big name store that has a showroom i.e. Sleepy’s, Macy’s, etc. I’m in NYC.

In addition, I know they use wool as one of the materials for this bed, which I read is a natural flame retardant. But I forgot to ask them if they use anything else additionally as a flame retardant.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Hi shch,

There are a few people on the forum who have purchased this for their kids so hopefully they will see your post and chime in with their own personal experience as well.

There really wouldn’t be an equivalent mainstream mattress because the Echo doesn’t have any foam at all and an innerspring with cotton and wool is a very different material and design than foam and has less resilience. If there is a local manufacturer that still makes a firm cotton/innerspring mattress you may be able to get some idea of what it feels like (if you let me know where you live I can certainly take a look to see if I’m aware of any). I would believe them though when they say it’s very firm and it’s probably firmer than most if not all of the mattresses you would find in a typical showroom like the ones you’ve mentioned.

It would probably be best to give them a quick call or email them about this because the presence of wool in a mattress doesn’t always indicate that it’s the actual fire barrier.

Phoenix

Thanks for the help. We are in New York City. In addition, do you know of other mattresses that might be available in the NYC area that you would recommend that are:
2 sided ( flippable)
Innerspring
Do not have harmful chemicals
Do not use chemical flame retardants
Offers some degree of pressure relief
Memory foam free
Latex free

While I don’t specifically know anything specific about NYC, when I was buying one mattress we looked at was the Green Sleep Nature’s Nest Nui.

http://www.tmasc.ca/pocket-coil-mattresses/green-sleep-niu-organic-mattress.html

It has some latex in it, and while the latex is 100% natural, it doesn’t entirely meet your criterial. It’s not really 2 sided either, although much like a latex mattress you can unzip it to access the internals and flip those apparently. Green Sleep does a good job of no chemicals and generally comfort. Green Sleep tends to be premium priced.

If nothing else, it might give you a reference point to use.

Also, this link might help (they may even have a showroom in NYC)

Finally, royal pedic probably have some mattresses that match what you want, but I’d guess their prices higher than Green Sleep.
http://www.royal-pedic.com

Hi shch,

Post #2 here has a list of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the NYC area and post #7 here has a more categorized list with some more detailed descriptions as well.

I don’t keep a list of the specific models or mattresses that each manufacturer offers (that would be an impossible job) and of course only your own testing and experience can tell you whether a mattress is suitable for you in terms of PPP … you are fortunate that there are several in the area that still make innerspring / natural fiber mattresses that may be well worth a phone call … although they would be significantly more costly than the Pure Echo (and would probably have more wool and other materials as well).

Phoenix

Vi-Spring mattresses use all natural materials - zero chemicals. No foam, no latex. All natural fibers with chemical-free processing. They’re made in the UK but they are sold in various retailers throughout the US. There is a retailer in NYC. You can also go to their website and find the closest retailer to you.

They’re pricey but if organic/natural is a priority, they’re the rolls royce. They’re very big on their material sourcing and maintaining a low carbon footprint.