Pure Latex Bliss Beautiful

We purchased a Pure Latex Bliss Beautiful a couple months ago - added PLB 2" topper and it’s perfect for us - both side sleepers in our 60s.

We liked it so well that we had another Beautiful delivered to our second home but after sleeping on it three nights, found it a LOT softer than the first one we bought!

Has anyone else had this problem? We contacted the company we purchased them from and they are supposed to come and check the mattress. I hope they can change it out. I know the PLB company has had some financial problems but understand they are still in business?

BTW, we tried a Nature first with the 2" topper and found it way too firm. That said, it might be perfect for back or tummy sleepers.

Hi scubamom,

Latex International (who owns PLB) is currently in Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection (see this topic) and for the most part (with a hiccup caused by the fire) things seem to be running fairly smoothly and going according to their reorganization plans. I doubt that they are anywhere close to going out of business since they are one of only two companies in the western world that make Talalay latex.

Your experience certainly isn’t the norm but mistakes in construction are always possible and I hope that when they visit you they also feel what you are feeling and are able to replace the mattress.

I also hope you have the chance to update us after they visit you.

Phoenix

Many thanks… I’ll let everyone know what happens.

I grew up with a Latex mattress in the 50s and always wanted to have another, so was delighted to find the PLB Beautiful Latex. We had two latex mattresses made (local firm) in the '70s for two antique beds and both are as good today as they were on the first day!

That said, one does feel a bit firmer than it did at first. I read somewhere that latex may slowly firm up over the years?

I DO wonder if those were all Dunlop or some sort of Talalay… whatever, they are definitely long lasting and enduring.

Hi scubamom,

This depends to some degree on the type and blend of the latex, the firmness of the layers, and on the design of the mattress. Some latex mattresses will become softer over time (generally a long time) and others will lose some of their resilience or height and become firmer. Synthetic latex can become firmer or “stiffer” as it oxidizes and in some variations can lose height more than natural latex which tends to become softer over time.

It could have been either natural Dunlop or Blended Talalay since both were in fairly widespread use in the 70’s (see post #9 here). You can see an example of a Dunlop mattress that was almost 50 years old in the video here.

Phoenix

Sorry, Phoenix, I would appreciate your thoughts on a new development…

Company A carries PLB Beautiful, Nature and Pamper and has for years.

Company B started carrying PLB World’s Best Bed and Nutrition at the beginning of this year.

Both are dropping PLB because of their financial problems and the question of whether PLB will stay in business.

Company A offered the floor model Beautiful for $1,800 with their own 20-year NPR (non pro rated) warranty.

Company B just called saying that they can order a new Beautiful mattress for me for $1,800 and would offer the same NPR warranty.

Both local companies have serval locations each; however, Company A appears to be a stronger company–more likely to be around in the long run.

The floor model of company A is in great shape. Given the recent two fires at the PLB factory and the pending auction of their property and assets, I am hesitant to order a new, yet to be manufactured mattress from them.

Am I nuts to pay $1,800 for a floor model (the devil I know) versus ordering a yet to be made mattress from PLB for $1,800?

Next year, we are relocating to Bend, OR. Company A has a store there; company B does not.

Thanks!

Hi dfisher,

You are finding lots of “Beautiful” options :slight_smile:

While I can’t tell you what to do because your criteria or risk tolerance may be very different from mine … I would keep in mind that if there are any defective materials in a mattress they are likely to show up in the first year or possibly two and after that the quality of the materials is much more important than the length of a warranty. I also wouldn’t “expect” any mattress to last for 20 years because in many cases your own changing needs and preferences (we all “age” unfortunately) may be the limiting factor in how long a mattress is suitable for you. I would treat anything more than 10 years as a “bonus” although you are much more likely to have “bonus time” with latex than with other materials.

While I also can’t read the future … it would surprise me if Latex International went out of business.

Other than that when you are looking at a final choice between “good and good” and when there are no clear winners between them I would choose the one that you feel most comfortable dealing with or that you find that you are leaning towards most strongly since it’s almost 6 of one and half a dozen of the other and neither one would be a “mistake” IMO.

Phoenix

We may be about to purchase yet another PLB Beautiful to replace one that appears to be sagging like a marshmallow on the sides.

Our original one bought in 2013 at our second home is still as comfortable as the day it was delivered. Firm and supportive, yet pressure relieving.

The other which was bought shortly after the company came out of bankruptcy (6 months later than we bought the first one) is going really soft and unsupportive. I noticed the sides are starting to bulge and overhanging the platform base a bit. Maybe it suffered a glitch in the processing with all the turmoil the company went through to come out of corporate problems and return to normal production. Both the mattresses came from the West Texas facility.

So I guess my question is… have they changed the layers or configuration in the last two years? I’m hoping if we purchase a new one, it will be like the first.

Shouldn’t a laytex hold it’s shape as our first one has and maintain straight sides?

I really can’t figure this one out!

Hi scubamom,

[quote]We may be about to purchase yet another PLB Beautiful to replace one that appears to be sagging like a marshmallow on the sides.

Shouldn’t a laytex hold it’s shape as our first one has and maintain straight sides?[/quote]

While a mattress that has a more stretchy zip cover vs a tighter tape edged cover may bulge slightly or be slightly rounded on the sides … I haven’t heard any feedback about similar issues with significant bulging on the sides when you are off the mattress so I’m not sure what could be causing it.

It would probably be worth removing the cover and/or the fire barrier to see if you can identify the cause of the bulging and it would also be helpful if you could post pictures on the forum.

It’s possible that the two mattresses you own could have slightly different firmnesses because latex doesn’t come in exact ILDs and are manufactured to be inside an ILD range so two layers that are rated as the same firmness may be slightly different (although it normally wouldn’t be enough for most people to notice the difference). You also have a very soft mattress so it’s possible that they have softened to slightly different degrees or at different rates if you are using one more than the other. It’s also possible that it may be related to the bulging and you may be able to identify any internal issues if you open up the mattress and examine it. I’m assuming that your mattress doesn’t have any significant sagging in the sleeping surface that would indicate a defect (or be a reason to initiate a warranty claim)… is that correct?

As far as I’m aware they haven’t changed any of the specs in the last two years.

Phoenix