Pure Latex Bliss mattress on platform bed

Hello,

We are looking at purchasing a Pure Latex Bliss mattress and have tried several models before deciding that we liked the all natural Renew mattress for its soft springiness. However, after reading about the durability of all natural latex here we are thinking of going with the Beautiful and adding a 2 inch all natural topper. Do you think this is a comparable alternative to the Renew? Also, we will be putting putting the mattress on a platform bed and was wondering if there will be a different in comfort as the floor models we tried were on a different base. Thanks for your help.

Hi TossingSquirrel,

I’m not sure of the specific ILD’s of the Renew (although you can see the design here) but if I had to guess I would say the top layer would be N1 which is between 14 - 19 ILD, the second layer would be N2 which is between 20 - 24 ILD, and the bottom layer would be N5 which is between 35 - 40 ILD (you can see the ILD ranges of each here). According to Pure Latex Bliss … the Renew and the Beautiful are both a 9 on their plushness scale so the Beautiful may be very similar to the Renew without the topper. If I was in your shoes I would test the Beautiful by itself first to see if it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP and see how it compares to the Renew based on your actual experience before adding a topper.

If the base you tested the mattress on and your platform bed are both rigid, evenly supportive, and non flexing surfaces then they would both have the same effect on your mattress. If one of them had more flex than the other then this could affect the feel of the mattress compared to a non flexing base (although the effect would be less noticeable with a 12" mattress).

Phoenix

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I went and tried the Beautiful the other day and found it to be very comfortable. But I’m a little nervous to commit as this will be an exchange purchase and the store is already charging us an arm and a leg for it. We originally bought a 10 inch natural memory foam mattress which I found great sleeping on my back but too hard when I slept on my side. The 12 inch memory foam felt comfortable initially but I felt myself sinking too deep and not getting enough back support. I am 5’6’’ and weigh 120 lbs. My partner is 6’ 205 pounds and actually loves our current mattress but thankfully he is open to exchanging it :slight_smile: My biggest concern with the latex mattress is that I will find myself with back pain after I bring it home because it was too soft. I lay on my back for 15 min and did not feel back pain there. I also tried the Nutrition but did not find it as comfortable.

Also, with the weight difference between my partner and I is it possible to find a mattess that we could both be fully comfortable and supported? I would hate to exchange our mattress for a one that my partner would not enjoy.

Lastly, I got to try the 3 inch PLB all natural topper and liked it even better than the 2 inch topper. I loved the conforming feel without the sinking. But the salesperson thought that was overkill. Could having a thick topper lessen the amount of support I would get from the Beautiful? I am starting to realize how difficult mattess shopping is and find myself thinking of the story of the priencess and the pea.

Hi TossingSquirrel,

I’m not sure which mattress you currently own but I should clarify that there’s no such thing as “natural memory foam”.

It may also be worth considering adding a topper to your current mattress to add some additional pressure relief rather than buying a whole new mattress. If you do decide to go in this direction then the topper guidelines in post #2 here and the posts it links to may be helpful although there is always some risk when you are buying a topper if you can’t test the specific mattress/topper combination in person.

I would also make sure that you do some careful and objective testing using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post and with both of you on the mattress so that you have some confidence that it’s a good match for both of you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). Your own testing is the most reliable way to know whether a mattress is a good match for you.

Yes … there are certainly some mattresses that would be suitable for two people with different needs and preferences (see the first part of post #2 here) but once again your own testing will tell you more than any theory about whether any specific mattress is a suitable choice for both of you. I would also keep in mind that you can always add a softer topper to a mattress that is too firm but if you choose a mattress that is too soft for one of both of you then there are no great solutions for making it firmer because the only effective solution would normally involve removing and replacing foam layers rather than adding a topper.

I would be very cautious about adding such a thick and soft topper to a mattress that is already on the softer side because while it may have a great subjective “feel” it may not be the best choice in terms of support/alignment. When you are choosing a mattress then “just enough” pressure relief to relieve your pressure points in your most pressure prone sleeping position (usually side sleeping) is usually the safest choice in terms of support and alignment. I would make sure you are clear about the difference between the “showroom feel” of a mattress and whether it’s suitable for you in terms of PPP.

You can always add a topper afterwards and there are also other sources for toppers that use the same material that are considerably less than the PLB toppers.

Phoenix