Purple vs All Latex vs Latex Hybrid

I would appreciate your help in trying to narrow down mattress choices to replace an 18-year-old latex/coils hybrid. And I’m sorry this is so long, but it’s background that I hope will help you. Things would probably be a lot easier if we lived in Tempe Arizona and could just shop in your showroom :slight_smile:

I am a 50-year-old male, 6 foot, 200 pounds (recently lost 45 pounds and still another 20 pounds to go). I have a history of low back pain, periodic sciatica, was just fitted for CPAP, and recently experiencing lots of neck pain that I suspect is due to my pillow, but perhaps also complicated with our badly sagging bed.

My wife is the same age, 5‘2", currently about 260 pounds, and suffering from persistent hip, shoulder, and occasional neck pain. She tends to be a light sleeper and hasn’t slept well in months.

Due to our varying and emerging needs and stage of life, we are pretty certain that a split king adjustable base with split king mattresses will give us the best chance at achieving our collective goals.

Here in MN we have showroom-tested purple mattresses (hybrid/2, premier 3 inch), savvy rest (all latex), harvest green (latex/coil Hybrid) avocado, nest owl, and an original mattress factory serenity latex. We have no interest in memory foam or beds that largely utilize polyfoam (for the feel, temp, and durability concerns).

After we both agreed that the purple hybrid/2 felt the best to both of us On the first night we went looking for mattresses locally (re: pressure relief and coolness) we did some reading online and became concerned with potential long-term durability/sagging issues and reported pain issues from those who used their Purple mattress for months or years. And there obviously isn’t long-term data available on the hybrid purple mattresses because they’ve only been out since 2018, I believe.

The Savvy Rest we tried yesterday (soft talalay over medium Dunlop over firm Dunlop), Avocado and Nest Owl felt decent, but my wife was aware of some shoulder and hip pressure on those, also resulting in a bit of low back pain and sciatica for me). Then we laid on the purple hybrid/2 again and it both felt really good to both of us.

Cost wise, the most expensive of all the options was savvy rest, with purple next, then avocado, and then the owl. Everything that I have looked at online from SleepEZ seems less that most of those options, and comparable to the owl… That’s pretty amazing. I also like that lots of people here speak highly of SleepEZ, which matches my experience when calling in to ask questions this past week, and that they are involved in this site/forum.

So here are my questions:

1. Could it be that my low back and sciatica pain I am feeling (when getting In and out of show room beds) isn’t the sign of a bad new mattress, but more the result of adjusting to a more firm (proper?) support as seen in the non-purple mattresses, and perhaps the Purple is mimicking our backs’ familiar!sleeping posture in our sagging mattress we have at home?

2. If we’re thinking correctly, it would seem that the most flexible option for tweaking down the road would be a mattress line the savvy rest (i.e. SleepEZ, etc.), then the owl or other hybrid options with a swappable top layer, followed by purple and avocado I only have their sleep trial/return option.

3. We have read online that one of the drawbacks of a traditional cotton/wool mattress zip case for an all latex mattress is it’s thick top cover layer, somewhat mitigating the potential benefit from a conforming soft talalay top layer. Would you agree? That website said that they would sell a stretch knit cover (by prescription only) in order to offer the most comfortable/conforming option, but it doesn’t have fire retardant properties… which is obviously a trade-off.

4. So, my ultimate question is do you believe we might be able to configure an all latex or latex plus coil bed (with swappable parts down the road) that could provide comfort and support for both my wife that might feel as comforting as the purple hybrid/2 but with more pain relieving support down the road? And if so, what product and configuration would you recommend?

Hello Roscoe and thanks for reaching out and welcome to the forums! Yes, what you’re describing in your first question sounds like a bit of an “adjustment” issue. If I lay on the floor for 10 minutes or more, when I get up I have back pain, for sure. My muscles just aren’t used to being in that position, and it sounds like you’re having a similar issue laying on something different. As such, I think it’s likely that you have some adjustment pains when switching to any new mattress that’s properly supportive.

I don’t normally recommend our hybrid (or any latex and coil hybrid that uses the Leggett & Platt Quantum Edge with Bolsa coils) for folks over 230 pounds because it’s liable to lead to back pain from a lack of support. Of course I’ve talked to several customers that weigh 250, 270, etc. pounds that say the hybrid is their perfect mattress. However, most people that contact us to return the hybrid weigh 230 pounds or more and return it because of back pain.

Nonetheless, regarding the differences between the Hybrid and the Organic line - Our Hybrid is an enclosed mattress that quilted on both sides and is adjusted by flipping it, and the Organic mattress has a zippered cover that is adjusted by unzipping the cover and rearranging the layers. Aside from that, the Organic line is fully customizable and fully adjustable. So you can customize the mattress before purchasing so that it’s as soft as you’d like, as firm as you’d like, has as much contour and pressure relief as you’d like, has as much support for your back as you’d like, etc., whereas the Hybrid has limited options for customizing the mattress. Furthermore, if you start with a certain setup in the Organic line and find that it’s too soft, you can unzip the cover and rearrange the layers to get a firmer feel out of the mattress, or you can exchange a layer to make the mattress softer. Additionally, latex mattresses typically last 20 years. If, in 5 or 10 or 15 years you decide you want a softer or firmer mattress you would only have to buy a new layer instead of an entirely new mattress. Aside from that, the Hybrid has a bouncier and springier feel, and feels more similar to a traditional spring mattress than all-latex mattresses do. The Hybrid is an outstanding value and has an incredibly low return rate (all of our mattresses do, actually), and is ideal for people that already know they prefer the feel of a mattress with springs in it.
Given the extra options you have to adjust the all-latex mattress, combined with the fact that I don’t normally recommend the hybrid for folks over 230 pounds, I think the 10" organic latex mattress is the best choice.

As far as the cotton & wool cover goes, please keep in mind that anything you have between yourself and the latex affects the way you contour into the latex, making for a much firmer feel. So the wool in the cover gives the mattress more surface tension, for sure. We no longer make a stretch cover tall enough to hold multiple latex layers, although we’re looking to start making them again by the end of this year or early next year. However, you can get a similar feel by ordering the 10" mattress but mention in the comments section at checkout that we send it out as a 7" mattress with 3" topper. You would still have the same latex layers, but the bottom 2 layers of the mattress would be in a 7" cotton & wool cover and the top 3" of soft Talalay would go on top of that like a topper. Having a top layer that is not encased with the rest of the mattress will allow that top layer enough spatial freedom to move upwards when you lay on it, making for a very plush and enveloping feel. This is what I recommend to customers that are used to pillow top mattresses, memory foam mattresses, or people that are looking for a softer or plusher mattress in general. Aside from that, most toppers have our organic cotton topper cover, which is a thin, stretchy cover instead of the cotton & wool cover that’s on our mattress. So having a topper on top of the mattress makes for an even more plush and enveloping feel, not just because it’s not being restricted by the mattress cover, but also because you no longer have an inch of wool impeding how much you contour into the top layer of latex.

Based on the information you’ve provided, I would normally recommend the 10" organic latex mattress with medium Talalay over medium Dunlop over firm Dunlop for your side and medium Talalay over firm Dunlop over extra firm Dunlop for her side. The top Talalay layer should provide all the contour and pressure relief needed to avoid any pressure point issues and will add secondary support to the mattress. Secondary support is needed to fill in the gaps between your body and the mattress – back sleepers normally need secondary support to fill in the gaps between the small of their back and the mattress; side sleepers normally need secondary support to fill in the gaps between their mid-section and the mattress. If these parts of a person’s body aren’t supported by the mattress, their muscles will work throughout the night to hold these parts of the body up, and by the time they wake up they’ve got back pain. So the top 3" of Talalay latex will provide contour, pressure relief, and secondary support. The remaining Dunlop layers should provide all the support needed to maintain proper spinal alignment and avoid back pain. Please keep in mind that our initial recommendations have a 90% success rate (we only have a 10% layer exchange rate and a 3%-4% return rate) so there’s a 90% chance that the above recommendation works perfectly for you.

Thanks SleepEZ very much for the helpful and thoughtful reply…as well as a follow-up discussion today by phone. Your customer service has been wonderful to experience during our mattress research process.

We’ve narrowed down to all latex options and will for sure be buying a setup that incorporates a stretch or tencel-like cover in the topper (if going with a two-piece solution) or stretch cover over the entire mattress. Sounds like some manufacturers have had supply chain issues with sourcing those types of covers. Thanks again.