Q on Switching from memory to firm w/ 2” pad

Hi! No idea if I am asking this in the proper section but here goes (please let me know if I should paste it somewhere else!)….

I want to replace my 11 year old tempurpedic with a firm mattress (no longer memory foam, coiled do you call them?) that has either a 2” topper (is that the term?!) built in or buy one separately… Correct me if I’m wrong but the latter seems to make more sense, since I assume the topper will eventually flatten so you can just replace the topper rather than the whole mattress :woman_shrugging:)… Can anyone tell me what to look for if that is the set up I am wanting? I’ve barely glanced at mattress and holy cow there are a million variations nowadays!

I don’t care as much about the cost as I do finding the right mattress/set up. My handicapped daughter is fully dependent on the health of my back and I believe it’s being compromised by my current mattress. (I trust my back dr implicitly and he is recommending this change).

Thank you so much for your advice!

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

It sounds like you’re on the right track in considering a new mattress setup that suits your needs. You’re correct that purchasing a separate topper can offer flexibility in terms of replacing it when needed without having to replace the entire mattress.

You may also benefit from perusing our tutorials. 5 Steps to the perfect mattress

Then there is the comfort issue known as PPP’s (Personal Preferences, Posture and Alignment, and Pressure Relief concerns). I will do a quick outline to guide you but ultimately you have to be the final arbiter of the mattress decision.

When looking for a firm mattress with a separate topper, here are some things to consider:

1. Mattress Type: You mentioned wanting a coiled mattress, which can provide firm support. Look for mattresses with high-quality coils that offer good support and durability.
  2. Topper Material: When selecting a topper, consider materials like latex or high-density foam for durability and support. These materials can provide pressure relief while still maintaining firmness.
  3. Thickness of Topper: A 2-inch topper can provide some cushioning without compromising the overall firmness of the mattress. However, you may want to experiment with different thicknesses to find the right balance of comfort and support for your needs.
  4. Density of Topper: Look for a topper with a high density, as this indicates better support and durability. A higher density foam or latex topper will better maintain its shape and provide consistent support over time.
  5. Compatibility: Ensure that the mattress and topper are compatible in terms of size and design. Some mattresses may come with compatible toppers or offer recommendations for compatible toppers.
  6. Trial Period and Warranty: Since finding the right mattress setup is crucial for your back health, make sure to purchase from a retailer that offers a generous trial period and warranty. This allows you to test the mattress and topper at home and return or exchange if necessary.
  • A note on Trials and Warranties. I like to suggest what I call the 4 R’s (Refund, Restocking Fee, Return Policy and Reviews by individual and independent offsite reviews to see if there is a trend or common theme among them.

Many places do not tell you what their restocking fees and return policies are until after they hand you your register receipt. Many reviewers often are surprised that that 120 day trial and “xyz” super store charge as much as $800 to return a mattress. Plus those free pillows, base and other cheap give aways they offer are often not returnable and carry a hefty retail price that gets subtracted from you “refund.”

The best suggestion is to narrow down the design choices, Latex, Hybrid, Natural Fibers, Hardened Springs, HD foams and so on. Get acquainted with the terms, benefits, and foundation concerns. Learn about the various support layers of a mattress and the types of edge support mattresses offer Mattress Makers Edge Support Styles.

Good luck starting your search.

Maverick

This is so helpful, thank you so much for taking the time and effort to respond with so much detail! I will definitely heed your suggestions!

1 Like

Hi again, I looked up your Brooklyn Bedding Plank Luxe bed and I’m confused, when layers say “foam,” is that latex? memory foam? a different kind of foam?

From all the replies I got it made we wonder, being a side sleeper with back problems, should I stick to my original plan of innerspring with topper, or consider a hybrid, or just all latex!? While my head is spinning, I’m going to try and find some stores near me but so far in San Diego I only see a Yawnder and Brooklyn Bedding (none of the other mattress stores carry the brands you’ve all mentioned)!

The Plank Luxe has 2 sides the ultrafirm and firm sides.

The foam on the firm side of the brooklyn bedding plank luxe is HD foam (the firmer side 9-9.5/10), which is High Density Polyfoam, specifically 1.8lb with an ILD of 36. This is on both sides.

The firm side (which is considered the less firm side 8-8.5/10) adds another layer of foam which is a 1.5lb 28ILD.

The one other difference on the less firm side is the cover, it is 1.5" of 50ILD quilted foam. The ultra firm side is .75" 50ILD of quilted foam.

Ok so just because it’s called foam does not mean it feels like memory foam… correct? This foam feels/performs differently? Just wanted to be sure I wasn’t going to find myself in the same predicament as my tempurpedic!

Correct!
Latex is a foam, polyurethane, viscoelastic polyurethane are examples of foams as are HD and HR foams are foams. There are others that are used in mattresses. Each have their own distinct feel, function and characteristics. There are several others in addition to the list. There is latex alternative foams that are “memory foams” that act like latex and synthetic latex.

Polyurethane Foam (PU Foam):

This is one of the most common types of foam used in mattresses. It’s a type of synthetic foam that comes in different densities and firmness levels.
Polyurethane foam provides support and comfort, and it’s relatively affordable compared to other types of foam.

Memory Foam (Viscoelastic Foam):

Memory foam, also known as viscoelastic foam, is a high-density foam that contours to the shape of your body when you lie down.
It’s known for its pressure-relieving properties, as it distributes weight evenly and reduces pressure points.

Memory foam mattresses are popular for their ability to provide personalized comfort and support.

Latex Foam:

Latex foam is made from the sap of rubber trees or synthetic latex materials.
It’s naturally breathable and resilient, providing both comfort and support.

Latex mattresses are known for their durability and responsiveness, as they quickly bounce back to their original shape.

High-Resilience (HR) Foam:

HR foam is a type of high-density foam that offers excellent support and durability. It’s often used as a base layer in mattresses to provide structural support and prevent sagging.

HR foam is known for its ability to maintain its shape and resilience over time.

High-Density (HD) Foam:

HD foam is similar to HR foam in terms of density and support, but it may have different characteristics depending on its formulation.
It’s commonly used in mattress comfort layers to provide firmness and support.

Gel Foam:

Gel foam contains gel particles infused into traditional foam to enhance cooling properties and provide additional support.
It helps regulate temperature and can provide a cooler sleeping surface compared to traditional memory foam.

Polyethylene Foam:

Polyethylene foam is a lightweight, durable foam often used in mattress encasements or as a comfort layer.
It provides cushioning and support while being resistant to moisture and mold.

2 Likes