Question about custom configurations

Hi,

I was finally able to try out some mattresses this weekend. I am a petite (105 lbs) side-sleeper. I prefer firm mattresses because I like feeling supported, but also need cushioning for my shoulders. I discovered a couple of configurations that felt good in the stores after laying on them for 20 min:

Dunlop 3" 19 ILD + 13.5 gauge 8" pocketed coils (plush latex over firm coils)

and

Dunlop 3" 28 ILD + 16 gauge 6" pocketed coils (medium latex over plush coils)

They were in different stores, so I didn’t have the opportunity to compare them side by side.

My question is – is there a difference between the two configurations in how they would perform/feel over time?

elle_h:

Comparing side to side wouldn’t be as big of an issue. It seems you had plenty of time to try out each item to see if you liked the feel in each store.

As for componentry, latex is a good durable material. Generally the firmer latex could provide a bit longer and more consistent comfort life, but the softer latex should last long as well.

Of course the entire mattress works as a complete system and you don’t have complete specifications on the innerspring units used (geometry/spring counts), but the innerspring unit usually isn’t the weak link within the mattress. On its face, both mattresses are quite simple and seem to use better quality componentry.