Question about quality of Logan & Cove medium plush versions

I’m trying to find a good hybrid bed in Canada, but from anything that I’ve found in multiple stores the only one I like is the Tempur Medium Hybrid, but it is only available in a single store with terrible reputation, and the prices is too high ($3200 cad, although I’ve seen it as low as $2200, but there is no sale in sight right now).

So for the Logan and Cove, their medium specs are as follows:
The specifications are:
L1: ¾" Cooling Gel Foam 1.8 lbs Density
L2: ½" Bio Foam 1.5 lbs Density, Soy Infused
L3: 1" Visco Cooling Gel Foam 2.5 lbs Density
L4: 1" Tri-Zone Bio Foam 1.5 lbs Density, Soy Infused
L5: 2" Bio Foam 1.5 lbs Density, Soy Infused,
L6: 8" Zonal Pocketed Coils 14.5 / 13.5 / 14.5 Coil Gauge , 828 coils

The densities look lower than recommended, but the layers in general also seem pretty thin. It’s supposed to be a softer bed, so just wanted your opinion on this. I’m fine if the durability is 5-6 years, for the price of $1000 cad. Thoughts?

Hi flowerdealer,

Correct, the densities are lower than what is recommended by TMU and with over 5" of comfort layers it will be a softer mattress. For $1000 and with a 120 night sleep trial you can’t really go wrong. Try for a while and see if you like the comfort, if not return it and get your money back. You should get a good 5-6 years out of this mattress.

Please let us know what you decide to do

All the best

Thanks for the awesome advise. I’ve ordered it and see how it goes. For clarification they do have a firmer bed that has better material densities mostly in the 1.8 lb range, but many people consider it very firm, so I decided to get the medium soft instead. Will report back with the experience.

Just got this and slept yesterday night on it. Love it so far. Immediately super comfortable and felt refreshed over night. No back/hip pain that I was getting with the mattress it replaced.

Hi Flowerdealer,

Thank’s for following up with us. I’m really surprised on how quick you received the mattress after your ordered it. From your post it seems that you ordered the mattress on Thursday Feb 20, and by Sunday the 23 you had already got the mattress and slept on it?

Can you please let us know about the shipping and delivery process, because this is quite impressive!

I’m happy you’ve found the mattress that’s right for and that we were able to assist you in the process,

All the best

Yes, it was blazing fast. Requested the return of a Casper last Tuesday, ordered the Logan & Cove on Wednesday, it was scheduled to get to me on Monday but surprisingly it arrived on Saturday (shipped from Calgary). The Casper was picked up the next day and I’ve slept on it for 2 nights now. I had back and hip pain with the Casper and now it’s all good it seems.

Hi flowerdealer,

Wow, that’s amazing service, I’m happy that you found the right mattress for you,

all the best

Quick question, reading on the documents from mattress underground here:

It says that ‘The lower end of the scale especially (1.5 lbs) should be used in thinner layers’, so it seems like this mostly qualifies for the layers in the Logan & Cove except for the L5 transition layer with is 2 inches. But why does it being a thinner layer matter? Why would it not be as bad as with a thick layer?

Hey flowerdealer,

Congrats on your new mattress :cheer: ! Happy to hear from your previous post that your experience has been good so far and hope that it stays that way.

Good question! … Using a thin layer of 1.5lbs is not as “bad” as using a thicker layer of the same density. L&C has 1" + 2" @ 1.5lbs which for all practical purposes is the same as having a 3" layer or the same density (so we’ll call this a 3" layer). Generally speaking, a 3" @ 1.5lbs layer under mechanical stress and temperature variations would develop thicker impressions than a single 1.5" of the same density which makes this a weak link in terms of durability of the mattress.

In the link you reference above,Mattress comfort layers- Polyurethane foam, the article discusses the use of various grades of polyfoam in the comfort layers of a mattress. When foams of 1.5 lbs are used in comfort layer(s), they have to be thin enough so that any foam breakdown that may occur over time (impressions) cannot go past the layer thickness. In L&C’s case, a 3" layer of 1.5lbs will develop deeper impressions than a 1.5" layer. As the article points out, typically 1.5 lbs would still be OK for a flippable mattress as long as it is no more that around 1.5’ or so because, when flipped (every few months or so), the layer would have the chance to recover. The layer situated at the bottom of the mattress would be mostly evenly compressed as opposed to the layers on top, which is under mechanical stress (shear and elongation forces) when sleeping upon it. Additionally during the course of a night, we tend to drift in the same area of the mattress … which is where the foam would first start to degrade, break down and where impressions would form. In the case of L&C, even though there is a 1" of 2.5lbs layer on top that would mitigate some of the mechanical stress, the 3" lower density layer is under…the 3" is still too thick and not deep enough into the mattress to be “shielded” from the constant stress.

And thanks to @Mario/ trusted member MFC for your valuable support and guidance to TMU consumer subscribers.

Looking forward to more updates flowerdealer as your sleep trial progresses…

Thanks,
Sensei

Thanks for you interesting insight. It’s a shame that they picked these materials, as otherwise the quality feels excellent. I have noticed the mattress on my side (I’m heavier than my wife) getting softer after a week, although I did expect this as the mattress is supposed to be medium/plush. So far the comfort continues to be excellent, but I’ll try to make a call before the 4 month trial as to how worth it the risk of early degradation is. I’ll report back.

flowerdealer - It’s normal for comfort layers to soften a bit over the first few weeks of use as part of the break in process as they lose some of their initial firmness. Each person then needs to determine whether that feel is right for them or if it’s too soft and fails to provide sufficient support. Fortunately most mattress trial periods allow us with enough time to allow for normal break in to make that determination. Good luck and I look forward to hearing your further report. - Bill