Question about Saatva 11-1/2 inch mattress

I have really appreciated the general info on mattresses as well as the thread on Saatva, which is the only thing I’ve found that penetrates the cult-like feel of the “testimonials” and advertising. Despite my reservations based on Saatva’s marketing, it sounds like it might be a decent mattress. We are in need of a less tall mattress, because we will be putting it on a chestbed that’s on top of a 4" platform, so current 13 or 14" innersprings are too tall for us.

Saatva’s 11 1/2 inch mattress is shorter because they do two fewer turns of the Bonnell coils, making them 3 inches shorter. They say that durability and feel will be exactly the same. Would love your opinion of this.

We may well go with a latex mattress (Pamper or Nature manufactured by Latex Bliss–a 50/50 blend of natural and synthetic latex), where it’s easier to get the height we require, but just wondering if we should keep Saatva in the running for a decent, affordable innerspring. It turns out that I am among those who hate memory foam, so that is not an option for us. Do you have an opinion about Saatva 11 1/2 vs. Latex Bliss? The Latex will be twice as expensive, though I’m leaning in that direction.

Thanks!

Hi Lorrie,

In terms of durability the weak link of a mattress is generally in the upper layers not in the deeper layers or components such as the innerspring so if two mattresses have the same layers above the innerspring then this would be accurate yes.

In terms of “feel” most of the feel of a mattress also comes from the upper layers not the deeper layers so outside of those few who are exceptionally heavy and would compress the Bonnell innerspring much more than normal … in practical terms the “feel” should be the same as well.

Just for the sake of clarity … the Latex International blended Talalay is a blend of “about” 30% natural rubber and 70% synthetic rubber.

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here but the value of a mattress purchase always depends on what else you are considering or is available to you either locally or online and on the types of materials or components you tend to prefer sleeping on. The PLB mattresses (which has Talalay latex from top to bottom) and the Saatva mattresses (which has a Bonnell coil support core and a mix of polyfoam and a microcoil (or compressed pocket coil) in the comfort layers) are very much an apples to oranges comparison.

If you’ve read the tutorial post you will find links to lists of other options that I believe for most people would be better “value” but this would always depend on what else you are considering. If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities that I’m aware of in your area as well.

Which one would be better “value” for you would depend first of all on which mattress was a better match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

In terms of quality/durability then latex would be more durable than the materials in the Saatva.

Both of these are more apples to oranges comparisons though so much of your choice would depend on which type of materials and mattress types you tend to prefer sleeping on.

Once you have eliminated your worst options and you are making a final choice between two or more mattresses then I would decide which one was the best value for you based on the relative “risk” of each purchase (in terms of suitability and durability) along with all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the cost and the options you have after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped). While the Saatva would compare well with most mainstream choices made by major brands … it may not compare as well against many of the options that the members here have learned about and have available to them.

Phoenix

Thanks so much for your speedy and helpful response. Our zip code is 94960.

Hi Lorrie,

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the San Rafael/San Francisco areas are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix