Question from Southwestern Ontario Canada

Hi, my parents have a Kingsdown Comfort Collection Lexus Orthopedic Royale that they bought about 15 - 20 years ago. We can’t find any information on what material it is made from, but my parents say it is a latex mattress. We have been searching and cannot find any mattresses that seem comparable in the area. We have found a few latex mattresses but none seem quite as soft. We have found one mattress that we are considering purchasing from The Brick. It is called Sterns and Foster Taurus Luxury Plush Eurotop. These are the specs: Latex Core
The latex at the core of this mattress provides extra support to the body’s sleeping position, no matter what position it is.
Silk/Wool Fibre Technology
Luxurious natural wool and silk breathe better than synthetic fibres, allowing for a cooler sleep in summer and a warmer sleep in winter.
Pressure Relief System featuring Smart Latex
The natural properties of latex allow it to dynamically conform to your body for optimal support in any sleep position. It is also antimicrobial.
Zoned Pressure Relief
The Zoned Pressure Relief system divides the mattress up into sleep zones, allowing it to provide the right amount of support to each part of your body. This foam system is also infused with Smart Latex.
CertiPUR
All Sealy Posturepedic foams carry the CertiPUR seal made with LOW VOCs (low emissions for indoor air quality). This “voluntary health checkup” ensures that our foams are healthier and more durable for you. More information is available at www.certipur.us
Foam Edge Core Support
This Foam Edge Core Support offers uncompromising comfort and support at every point along the mattress’ sleep surface. It gives you a firm seating edge, and helps to stabilize the mattress from motion transfer.
StayTrue Comfort
Your mattress should feel as good as it did the first night, every night, for years to come.
Bendability
This mattress is bendable up to 25 degrees, helping larger sizes pass through tight doorways.

It is not quite as soft as my parents’ mattress but the warranty seems very good and I know we prefer a latex mattress. Could you give us any idea on the quality of this Sterns and Foster mattress?? Or any ideas where we could find a latex mattress in the area?

Thanks,

Coleen

Hi supergirl1348,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place I would start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how to avoid the worst ones (which would generally include major manufacturers and chain stores like the Brick)

Outside of testing a mattress for whether it is a suitable match for you in terms of PPP … a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer so you would need to find out the specifics of the mattress to be able to identify any potential weak links and make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses. These aren’t really meaningful specs that tell you much if anything about the quality of the mattress.

To assess a mattress what you need is a list of all the layers and components from the top down that includes the type and thickness of each layer and component (so you can make sure they add up to the thickness of the mattress), the density of any polyfoam layers, and the type and blend of any latex in the mattress so you can compare them to the guidelines in the tutorial post. Once you have this you can make sure there isn’t more than about an inch or so of lower quality/density materials in the comfort layers of the mattress which can become the weak link of the mattress. If a manufacturer or retailer either can’t or won’t provide you with this I wouldn’t consider the mattress. Sealy typically uses fairly thick layers of lower density polyfoam in the comfort layers of their mattresses which I would avoid but at the very least you would need to know the details of all the layers (which they are unlikely to provide you) or I would pass the mattress by.

Some of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in Southwest Ontario are listed in post #8 here.

Phoenix