Question on firmness

What firmness should each layer be, given my weight to be 101kg , 163cm? I read that I need a firmer mattress , is 44 ild as support layer, 36 ild as transition layer good? What ild should a latex comfort layer be? Are there any substitute for latex layer like wool for an asthma person?

Hey there B,
Latex has a unique feel to it, particularly as a comfort layer. If you are worried about latex having an affect on your asthma, perhaps try a horsehair comfort layer mixed with wool. Something like this. Horsehair and Wool Pad These folks are in Italy. Since you are in Singapore, you may be able to find something similar. I happen buy my horsehair pillows from them, and they are legit and very nice to deal with. I am not certain of your budget or other considerations, but if you want to maintain the firmness of the mattress, which an amazingly comfortable sleeping surface, you will love this.

Norm

Latex doesn’t trigger asthma but animal fur like wool and horsehair does

Are the firmness for support and transition layer ok? How much firmness do I need for top comfort layer for medium firm feel?

I want to make sure I have this correct, 5’3 220lbs, A 44ILD is a good support layer for that weight. If you are referring to a Latex support layer as that is typically, the firmest most companies go as their standard stock extra firm Latex. The 36ILD latex is certainly compatible with the firmer support layer. What type of thickness are you looking at here. I am assuming a 4-6" support, 2" transition and a 3" comfort layer?

The support and transition layers are polyurethane foam, I read that spring is less durable than foam mattress, how true is this?

Looking at 8 inch support layer, 2 inch transition and 2 inch comfort

Ok, put the brakes on a second. I would refer you to our tutorial Tutorial.
Polyurethane as you know is a synthetic. (full disclosure, my mattress is 6" 13.5g springs, with 2" 1.8lb 36ild HD foam, with a quilted 50ILD .75" cover panel on the side of the mattress we sleep on, as it is 2 sided) This is considered one of the firmest mattresses you can buy on line. If I had a choice would I go the same route in so far as longevity is concerned? Perhaps depending on my own understanding on my price to longevity ratio.

I call it the price to longevity ratio because I know going into it, that synthetic foam is never going to out last natural foam, and certainly is not going to provide as much support as quality hardened thicker gauge springs (1-12.75-13.75g). I know folks will say, latex will last 20 years etc etc, and it may be true with proper maintenance, but for my money, over 200lbs, I am using a quality spring support layer. Just my opinion. We have a lot of TM’s here that build superior all natural foam, firm, long lasting mattresses. It just seems that most complaints are when the foam mattress comfort layers can not handle the higher weight and depress down to the support layer and start to wear down. Even as resilient as latex is. Not all latex is made to the same quality standards. The sap flowing out of the tree may be the same, but if the process is not done to exacting standards, the final product can vary.

The same is true for synthetic foams. The materials do not start with sap flowing from a tree. It is a formula based on each manufacturers ingredients, and it can vary greatly in quality.

If you are looking for a non latex comfort layer (which will save you money) look at a latex alternative much like energex, or titanflex types of fast response foams, that act like latex. Although they dont last as long. A 2" comfort layer would then be acceptable. You can still do the natural fiber upper comfort layer, which is going to outlast the rest of the system and you can use it for the next, but I would go 3" as natural fibers compact down (although they can be springy and bounce back) and become firmer as they contour to your curves.

Naturally, the all foam mattress with the specs you are building is not going to be a bouncy style mattress. You are actually building something similar to the Plank Firm all foam Mattress.

Ok, so if you are going PU route, you are still in the firm category, and should be using at least 1.8lb (preferable 2.0+, but 1.8 is the min) density HD Polyfoam for the weight class. The wool or wool/horsehair 3" top comfort layer would be a great option as it will contour to your body, offer amazing pressure relief, and most likely keep you from sagging your mattress, PROVIDED, you maintain it. Rotate it every 3 months.

Price isn’t the main issue for me but breathability and weight of latex is, it’s denser than polyurethane foam on average which means the overall mattress is going to be over 20kg for a 12 inch latex+ poly foam hybrid

Speaking of wool topper, I just had to throw out my kapok originally fitted in my topper because it’s causing my to sneeze and cough when I woke up, I think wool does the same?

My understanding is kapok is closer to cotton as it is wool. Kapok and cotton are plant fibers and Wool is an animal fiber. Anyone can be allergic to anything, even “hypoallergenic” materials. That is a research project for you to seek out. No one knows you and your systemic conditions, so it would be impossible to answer some of those questions. I have horsehair pillows, 100% wool pillows, even TP memory foam pillows, I only sneeze and cough when I have a cold. You may want to buy some 'test" kits that they sell with samples of the materials. For all you know, you may be allergic to the petrochemicals in PU.

For certain, latex is going to be heavier than PU. I do like the idea of wool over PU over springs.

I have done quite a bit of research overall, first I was considering the breathability and durability of the foams, now I am taking into account how much dust mites can grow in the mattress

Seems like spring is cheaper,less dust mites can grow in it,but less durable than polyurethane foam?

Do you have resources to read for this?

Springs are not less durable than PU. You can always use a 6 sided 360⁰ mattress encasement protector if you are worried about dust mites. Wash your sheets and pillowcases with a cap full of eucalyptus essential oils and that will do a nice job of repelling dust mites. I will try find you articles on springs vs foam in the morning.Mattress Cores

Innersprings in general, as long as they are of reasonable quality, the steel has been tempered, and they have an appropriate degree of firmness, are among the longest-lasting parts of a mattress, and will outlast most polyurethane and memory foams

If I am considering a flippable mattress ,should I use 44 or 36 ild 1" foam on both side of the spring layer?

You could use one of each, there will only be a small difference between the sides, but it would offer you the firm and firmer option.