quilting layer / mattress pad

ok not really quilting layer, since i will not have a finished mattress - just layers of foam stacked on top of each other - but i want to put something on top of the uppermost layer ( which is most likely going to be talalay ) to give it a nicer surface feel like all those fancy quited mattresses with bamboo cover etc, and also to help it regulate moisture.

i was thinking this would do the trick:

https://www.amazon.com/SnugFleece-Elite-Wool-Mattress-Pad/dp/B000GB31A4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1365175904&sr=8-3&keywords=wool+mattress+pad

and while i’m pretty sure it would work, i would prefer something cheaper.

maybe there is an article on this site about this, if so i would certainly like to read it, but the question is - what do i put between the uppermost layer of bare foam and the sheets ?

i’m doing this mostly for myself - so * I * feel better, but maybe also the foam itself needs some kind of protection from wearing out ?

in particular if i use a fragile 1" or 2" thin layer of 14 ILD natural talalay to get that pillowy surface feel - how would i need to protect it from getting shredded as i move around on the bed ?

what is really the purpose of all those zippered covers that toppers come in ? i don’t particularly care about fire retardation as i don’t smoke and i live in an all-concrete building - but i do like the way fancy mattresses feel on top - certainly bare foam doesn’t feel as nice.

also if i do end up goign with that snugfleece thing or equivalent - could i also throw something underneath it for additional moisture management - or perhaps just to have another layer that can be machine washed to keep the bed fresh ?

something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Concept-Organic-3-Inch-Mattress-Topper/dp/B004S2CC34/ref=sr_1_6?s=bedbath&ie=UTF8&qid=1365177643&sr=1-6&keywords=wool+mattress+pad

but perhaps thinnner, and certainly cheaper.

finally could i buy a complete mattress cover somewhere for the custom foam that i would put together myself ? a complete mattress cover would be nice because it would stay in place better and keep the foam together better as well, but at the same time i am guessing it would cost more and probably provide a less pleasant surface to sleep on than a dedicated mattress pad ?

once again, if this is already discussed somewhere on here i would gladly take a link.

Hi g1981c,

Some posts that may help.

Some information about mattress pads and different fibers is here.

Information about wool mattress pads and toppers are here.

Some information about wool quilting and the need to protect latex with a cover is here and here.

More about wool quilting is here

Pictures of what can happen to latex if it’s not protected is here

Some of the reasons for quilting layers here … and this article

Some sources for mattress components including covers are in post #4 here.

More than this the forum search will be helpful. If you use it I would suggest that the “find posts from” option is set to “any date” and that you choose “show 20 search results” so you can scan them more easily.

Phoenix

great ! i think this stuff is very important - because the closer something is to your skin the more directly you experience it ( obviously ).

my eyes are tired now, but i will read the links when i’m in shape :slight_smile:

since the forum keeps track of all my threads i periodically revisit your replies to me for the links i didn’t have a chance to dig into yet.