Ready to purchase - have a few questions

OK I am ready to purchase an organic latex mattress but I do have a few questions.

Firstly I am down to 2 online bed suppliers: Flobeds and SleepEZ. We do not have any all latex mattress showrooms in the Cleveland Ohio area so I drove to Cranberry Twp, PA this morning to try out their latex mattresses.

At Savvy I liked the following configurations pretty much equally (top to bottom)

Option 1:
3" Soft Talalay topper
3" Medium Talalay
3" Medium Dunlop
3" Firm Dunlop

Option 2:
3" Soft Talalay topper
2 - 3" Medium Talalay
3" Firm Dunlop

The first question I have is per Savvy Rest they use Radium Latex – does SleepEZ and Flobeds use Radium or IL latex?

I spoke with Sean at SleepEZ several times (many questions) and he recommends the following (I am getting a split king mattress for me and my husband) again top to bottom for both sides:

Option 1 (10000 + topper)
3" talalay topper
3" talalay medium
3" Dunlop firm
3" Dunlop Xfirm

Option 2 (13000)
3" talalay soft
3" talalay medium
3" talalay (or Dunlop) firm
3" Dunlop Xfirm

So is there a difference in the latex of Savvy Rest / SleepEZ or are they the same ILD’s?

Now for Flobeds:

I called them also and there recommendation is the following or their Delux mattress:

my side
Top to Bottom: soft/medium/firm (with 2"convolute on top)

My husbands side
Top to Bottom: medium/firm/ xfirm (with 2" convolute on top)

again is there a correlation between Flobeds and Savvy??? I haven’t tried a bed with the convolute what does it feel like? I think this is my biggest question with Flobeds. Does it feel like a super soft latex ILD??

Please help — I like Savvy rest but they are saying their latex is “better” (Radium) because it is “more” pure latex than IL and the “online” mattress companies. They are saying the Radium has less impurities (fillers) than IL

Thanks again for all your help.

Hi MarinaMist,

Both SleepEZ and Flobeds use Radium Talalay in their mattresses. SleepEZ and Flobeds both offer the choice between the Radium Blended Talalay and their 100% natural while Savvy Rest only offers the 100% natural. If all the mattresses you are considering use 100% natural Talalay layers then for those layers there would be no difference in the quality of the materials.

Savvy Rest uses 100% natural Dunlop latex made by CoCo latex that is certified organic for their Dunlop layers while SleepEz uses 100% natural Dunlop made by Latex Green for their Dunlop layers. They are very comparable in terms of quality and performance with the only difference being that the Coco Latex has an organic certification while the Latex Green doesn’t (although SleepEZ has the option for organic latex made by Latex Green for those that are willing to pay the extra cost for certified organic layers regardless of any performance benefits). There is more about organic latex certifications (GOLS) in post #2 here and in post #6 here. Flobeds doesn’t offer Dunlop in their mattresses … only blended and 100% natural Talalay.

There is more about how SleepEz compares to Savvy Rest in post #2 here and in post #2 here and a forum search on Savvy Rest SleepEZ (you can just click the link) will bring up many more posts and topics that discuss both of them. While Savvy Rest doesn’t disclose the specific ILD range of their layers … they would be very comparable if not the same as SleepEZ.

You can also read more about the difference between using a topper on top of a mattress and having the same layer inside a mattress in posts #3 and #4 here and in this topic. This would be a preference choice.

Flobeds on the other hand is a different design so it isn’t directly comparable with a mattress that has a different combination of layers although the quality of the materials is the same. It may be a better or worse “match” for you. There is more about the difference between their convoluted latex top layer and a non convoluted layer in post #2 here (in reply to question #4) and in post #12 here but it’s one of the “unique” parts of their mattresses. It has a different “feel” that is initially softer than a solid 2" layer that isn’t convoluted but then “catches up” with the firmness of the solid layer as you compress it more deeply. Flobeds would be more familiar than I am with the differences between their mattresses and a Savvy Rest design. While most of the “feel” of a mattress comes from the upper layers … there are also some differences between the “feel” and performance of Talalay and Dunlop even in deeper layers and some people prefer one over the other (it’s a preference choice). There is more about how they compare in post #7 here.

All of the mattresses you are looking at are certainly high quality mattresses and any of them would make a good choice but post #2 here has more about making final choices when you are comparing “good vs good” and there are no clear winners between them.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks for all your help and all the information provided by everyone on this site/forum. I read all the information you recommended about toppers, convolute, talalay/Dunlop. Driving 2+ hours each way to Savvy Rest. Talked with Shawn at SleepEZ a few more times. And after being on this site off and on for almost a year (the past several months more diligently)…I purchased my mattress!!

I purchased it from SleepEZ and Shawn couldn’t have been more helpful.

Here is my mattress configuration - top to bottom - Topper with Organic 10000 Mattress:

3" topper w/ wool quilt cover Talalay soft (Radium) not seamed (this will give us options if we need to rearrange especially for my husband)
3" Talalay medium (Radium)
3" Dunlop Firm (Latex Green)
3" Dunlop XFirm (Latex Green)

I can’t wait for it to get here!!!. Shawn said it will ship out tomorrow and should arrive next Tuesday. Only 7 more nights of horrible sleep!!

Thanks again,
Sandy

Hi MarinaMist,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you made a great quality/value choice and there are also many forum members that have purchased from SleepEZ that share your high opinion of them and the service they provide to their customers and of course the mattresses they make.

I’m looking forward to your feedback once you receive it … although I know that the “final wait” once you’ve ordered can be the hardest part of all!

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Well it’s been 2 weeks since the mattress arrived and I have slept on it for about 10 nights now — went out of town a few nights.

The bed is GREAT!!

As stated below we went with SleepEZ and their service couldn’t be better!! In addition to the Topper with Organic 10000 Mattress I added the “protect a bed” mattress protector (a little hot) and on top of that I purchased the St. Dormier wool mattress protector so I wouldn’t feel the “protect a bed” protector (and equalizes the “hot”). Yes that is a lot of “protection” but I have 2 Portuguese water dogs that sometimes share the king sized bed with us.

I sleep so well. I longer have hip pain nor do I have shoulder pain! I sleep so well I don’t want to get out of bed now (I actually slept almost 11 hours last night). I don’t constantly wake up anymore every few hours or so ---- I just sleep!!

Thank you so much for your help.

Hi MarinaMist,

Thanks for taking the time to share such great feedback … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It sounds like you (and your dogs) are getting along with your new mattress very well!

Phoenix