Reccommend platform bed frame

Looking at getting a new mattress and box spring. Size Full XL.

I believe the mattress I’m looking at can be supported by a flat surface. I’ll need to recheck with the mattress company as it has been a while, but I believe being told that.

Anyways, looking around and thought of getting a platform bed frame and just get a mattress. Platform frame something like 14"-15" high to match the height of my current bed frame and box spring. Reason is I’d have to pay for a new box spring and an expensive bed bug cover, where as I could take that money and just get a platform bed frame and not have to mess with a box spring and cover.

Any recommendations or things to stay away from?

I think I’d stay away from platforms that use slits. As I’ve read complaints of those bending when sitting on the mattress and them breaking. So I’d probably stick to all metal, or if wood a solid piece of wood for the platform.

Also, for mattresses that don’t need a box spring. Do they feel different if on a box spring or on a solid surface? Or is there no noticeable difference when laying on them and moving around?

Hi jasonsmith,

There is more information about the different types of support systems that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses which also includes some good sources as well in the foundation post here and the posts it links to (in the second paragraph).

Phoenix

Looks like since I’m going with a flippable, then I’ll need a boxspring. So I’ll go along as planned.

Hi jasonsmith,

Whether a box spring or a foundation would be the best choice for a two sided mattress will depend on the type of mattress you are looking at but I would follow the recommendations of the manufacturer. A mattress that you test on a support system that flexes can feel different on a support system that doesn’t (and vice versa).

Phoenix