Recommendation for Guest Bedroom Queen Under $1k

Hi! Coming back to this forum again after many years away, enjoying our BE Oslo.

We just moved into a new house, and need a queen mattress for the guest bedroom. I saw a Sealy at Costco and almost bought it, then remembered this forum! Given this bed will not be getting nightly use, and will need to accommodate various types of sleepers, I was thinking something in the medium firmness, but don’t want to spend enough to get full latex.

Any thoughts/recommendations on a high quality queen bed for this purpose under $1k? Thanks!

Hi campbellsa.

Welcome back to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

This Phoenix post is from 2014, so it may not be especially accurate at the moment, but it does list the budget recommendations that he was familiar with at the time he wrote the post, particularly for a guest room.

You mentioned that you are (wisely) considering medium firmness as it will be the best fit for a wide range of sleepers - I agree that this is a smart choice for mattress firmness in a guest bed!

Sleep On Latex has the Pure Green all-latex queen at $1000 even.
Luma’s Natural Latex Hybrid is currently on sale for $1195.
Sleep EZ’s flippable latex hybrid is also on sale for $1099.

As always, feel free to browse the offerings of the Trusted Members I didn’t include here, as it’s likely I’ve forgotten some great options.

I hope this helps!
NikkiTMU

Thank you so much, this is really helpful! I’ll check those mattresses out.

One follow up question, is it important to have a foundation like the natural wood foundation that Sleep EZ sells, or am I able to place any of these on either a solid surface or slatted frame (less than/equal to 3" apart)?

Hi campbellsa.

While the slatted wood foundations tend to be a “best fit” and very popular with latex (and other) mattresses, many people do choose to use platform bases or metal slatted (or even wire grid) frames. Wood is often the most supportive and offers the best breathability and tends to have just the right amount of “flex.” A firm mattress on a platform base (as an example) tends to feel a bit more firm than atop a slatted base.

I would just check with whichever manufacturer you buy from to make sure that using a particular kind of bed frame doesn’t void the warranty and that if it’s an all foam build, it doesn’t require any special airing out/flipping if being used on a solid surface.

NikkiTMU

Pay attention to Idle Sleep. A few months ago, they had a special offer where you could buy a queen bedroom and 2 free pillows for $700.

Idle Sleep made a lot of very attractive offers, bought up several competitive companies in rapid succession and then went out of business and disappeared from the market. Idle Sleep had the same owner who previously started Nectar Sleep. Customers of Idle Sleep and the companies they purchased were left without any path to address issues with their products or the possibility of making a warranty claim.

Hi! Congrats in the move I’m Richard from Mattress Firm and I’d highly Recommend a Beautyrest Pressuresmart medium to firm mattress which is on sale right now for $899.99 (Orignal price $1399.99) it also comes with a 10 year warranty and are Mattress Firm 120 night sleep trial, give me a call to discuss at 929-499-4405

They also offer a free trial (18 months) and a refund if something goes wrong.
I have been sleeping on it for a year and am satisfied.
Puffy is another great option, but a little more expensive. Very cooling, soft, and designed for all body types and sleeping positions(seems to be what Home Staging Services for Premium Results | OnStage 888-503-2177 uses ).
If you still prefer latex, Botanical Bliss is worth a closer look. It provides decent support and absorbs moisture well if you sweat a lot at night."