Recommendation for mattress

Hello -

My wife and I have just been to a Parklane store and were impressed by one model in particular, the Crestwood. It seemed to offer quality, comfort and support. We’re both in our 50s, I am 6’1" and 230 lbs. and my wife is 5’7" at 140 lbs.; both have lower back and neck problems. The main difference between our sleeping habits is that she normally sleeps pretty much like a “log”, while I thrash around. I sleep on my side; she sleeps on her back and side.

Anyway, it seems that the Crestwood is a pretty good fit for our sleeping habits.

If you have any recommendations or other advice on this or any other model, it would be much appreciated. We have heard about “troughing” and wonder if this will be a problem. Do you know if these mattresses have a good track record of lasting 10 years or so?

Thanks very much.

Robert

Hi rcon,

I don’t recommend specific mattresses because local testing at a better manufacturer or retailer (particularly with their help and guidance) is always much more accurate than any “theory at a distance” I could offer. My goal is to help the forum members to eliminate their worst options so that they are making final choices between “good and good”.

Having said that … Parklane is one of the recommended members of this site which means I consider them to be among the best quality/value in the country in their price ranges so if you have tested (with their help) to make sure that a mattress is suitable for you in terms of PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) then I wouldn’t hesitate to buy any mattress that they made. They all have great value IMO.

Assuming the “troughing” you mean is the “hills and valleys” or “soft spots” that can develop in a mattress … then these are usually the result of mattresses that use less durable materials that soften too quickly … particularly in the comfort layers of a mattress which are the most subject to repeated compressions and the softening and breakdown that goes with it. Parklane used higher quality materials than most other mattresses in their price ranges so this would be much less of an issue than a similar mattress that used lower quality materials (even if it cost much more which would usually be the case).

The Crestwood uses the following layering …

600 Offset Coils Provide a Stabilized Surface and Great Overall Support
3 Layers of 100% Talalay Latex
Foam Encased Edge Support
Bamboo Knit Fabric—Allergen & Bacteria Resistant
A Layer of Cotton Felt
High Density Comfort Foam
High Density Support Foam
A Total Thickness of approx. 13"

The offset coils are a good quality component and the innerspring of a mattress would not normally be the weak link of a mattress anyway.

Talalay latex is also among the highest quality materials available and these layers would also not be the weak link of the mattress.

The high density comfort and support foam are both polyurethane and these layers would be less durable than the other layers. How much of an effect this would have would depend on the density, thickness, and firmness of the polyfoam and on where it was located in the mattress as well as on your own body types and sleeping styles. You can read more about durability in post #2 here. As you can see … deeper layers of foam are “shielded” from wear and softening by the layers above them so lower density materials will last longer than if they are closer to the top of a mattress.

While the Crestwood is certainly great value … if you are at all concerned about the durability of these layers (and I would ask them about the density, firmness, and thickness) in relation to your body weight or circumstances, then you can always consider a mattress that doesn’t use these materials (or replaces them with other higher quality materials) with similar levels of comfort and support such as the Dunthorpe or the Rogue, or the Vale (which also use different support layers) but this will also increase your budget. My guess though (subject to you finding out the details of the layers) is that these layers would probably not be an obvious weak link for most people of typical weight and circumstances which means that for most people they would be meet your 10 year criteria or better.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix -

Thanks very much for your detailed response. It was very helpful.
Best wishes and happy new year!

Robert

Hi rcohn,

You’re very welcome … and best wishes back to you :slight_smile:

Phoenix