Recommendations for a Cuddling Mattress

Greetings Mattress Underground!

I did a quick search for the word cuddle and didnt see any topics like this so please forgive me if there is already a thread out there that covers this.

My girlfriend and I bought a Green Choice Relaxation mattress at the Denver Mattress store on Furniture Row (king size) and its a decent mattress, if you sleep on your own side. However, we are crazy cuddlers and like to sleep tangled up with each other, spooning, etc. and this mattress falls short when we are in the middle all tangled up together. I’m pretty sure that the weight of memory foam that Green Choice uses is less than say a full blown Tempur-Pedic but those cost some serious money, so we opted to try Green Choice. Like I said, not very happy with it.

So we have another month or so to return the mattress with no penalty… and now the hunt begins… again. I wanted to see if there are any other cuddlers out there that have some recommendations on mattresses for us to try. I am 6’ 2" and about 245lbs and in the process of trying to get down to about 200lbs and she is 5’ 10" and about 150lbs.

We spent $1000 on the Green Choice Relaxation and figure we are probably going to spend more…

Any advice and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!

Hi Sundown,

You can see some comments about the Green Choice mattresses in posts #9 and #13 here. They use lower quality/density 3 lb memory foam and I would tend to avoid them because of potential durability issues.

I’m not sure what you mean by “this mattress falls short” but if you mean you are sinking in too far when you are both in the middle then you would either need firmer/thinner comfort layers and/or a firmer support core that would prevent you from sinking in as far so you don’t experience “roll together” or sagging issues when you both sleep in the middle of the mattress.

I would also be very cautious about using other people’s reviews or experiences on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how suitable a mattress may be for you or the durability of a mattress and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else either in terms of suitability and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or in terms of durability (see post #13 here). Reviews about the knowledge or service at a particular store can certainly be helpful but when it comes to the specifics of a mattress they won’t provide you with the type of reliable information you will need to make an informed choice about how well you will sleep on a mattress, how long you will sleep well, or the “value” of a mattress purchase compared to all the other options that are available to you either in your area or online.

You are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are always too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict which mattress or combination of layers or materials would be the best “match” for you in terms of PPP or whether one mattress will be a better match than another one based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own personal testing or sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

The most effective way to choose a mattress is to follow all the steps in the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the more important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to buy a suitable mattress that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

Once you get to step 3 in the tutorial if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Wow… I got some reading to do!

I had no idea that mattress shopping could be this difficult or complex… but I guess it makes sense. If you are going to spend half your life laying on something I guess it is worth the research and time to make the best decision as possible.

Thanks for all of the links and I will start reading right away!