Recommendations for Back Problems; La Quinta,Ca outlets?

We are looking for two queen size mattress sets for a vacation home, one for us (he is 72; she 76 with back problems—sciatica,
prolapsed lumbar interverbral disc, cervical splondylosis; both side sleepers), the other for younger guests. The bed for us will only be used for several weeks at a time in winter months. The other bed only occasionally. At our primary home we have been sleeping on a Lady Englander latex mattress set for ten years and are very happy with it. The mattress sets we see on the site are mainly on the expensive side except for Tuft and Needle, but theirs are polyfoam and seems to be made for floor or platform bed use. We are not sure this is a good option. We are considering mattress.net latex set but the less expensive option it is said not to order if one lives out of state as the cost of freight to exchange for comfort would be hefty. We are also considering the Flexus Comfort set but the core is not Tanalay, which seems to be best for us. In that $1660 a set price range we could get the natural latex set from Spindle but we do not know what kind of latex this is. They also have a synthetic set but they do not say what it is comprised of. Can anyone tell us? Would we be OK with synthetic? Brooklyn offers the Bamboo set (hybrid) with some discounts when you chat. Or, for the use that we intend, would be be OK spending less money for a Serta or a Beautyrest with coils?Or would the quality be so poor that it would cost us more money in the end? We are trying to limit expenses as we have a whole house to furnish. Any advice would be most welcome.

The vacation home is located in La Quinta, CA (92253). Are there any mattress makers or outlets with good value located nearby?
Palm Springs is half an hour drive.

Hi scg,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place I would start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how to avoid the worst ones.

Their adjustable ultra plush that ships across the country is actually lower cost than the ultra plush sold locally and has more options available to customize it as well.

This may be well worth testing because your Englander also uses Dunlop which it seems you like.

They will tell you anything you wish to know about their latex if you talk to them but you can read some of my thoughts about Spindle and the latex they use post #6 here and post #38 here and a forum search on Spindle (you can just click this) will bring up more information and feedback about them as well. Post #6 here has more information about the different types of latex.

There is really no way to assess the quality of most of the major brand mattresses because they usually won’t tell you the quality of the materials inside it but even if they did you would find that they are not in the same quality or value range as mattresses made by many smaller manufacturers across the country that use better quality materials in the same or lower budget ranges. I would avoid major brands or any mattress where you don’t know the quality of the materials inside it.

The better options I’m aware of in the area are listed in post #3 here and this thread has some feedback that may be of some interest as well.

Phoenix

Hi scg, just a thought, my parents live in La Quinta, Ca and they recently bought a mattress at Banner Mattress in that area.

Thanks, jbake37, so much for the suggestion. But from what I read on this Forum Banner Mattress basically sells name brands and does not promote their own brand perhaps because it is more expensive, and it seems the general advice is to stay away from the name brands. But, in case your parents found a good latex mattress at Banner, I would appreciate knowing the details.

Hi scg, I talked with them today and in fact, they bought a mattress at Banner, however it was Tempur and it cost them about $3200. Something we are not trying to do here. Good luck on the search.