Recommendations on queen mattress for 1000 or less?

Hi, I have been researching Mattresses for a bit and just looking for some suggestions for a bed. I’m currently sleep on a very old spring Mattress that needs to go. I am a 6’0 180lb Mostly Stomach Sleeper. Probably looking for medium firm mattress, with some amount of latex and will last a long time. I know latex tends to be more expensive but any suggestions would be great! :slight_smile:

Hi Jordan the hobo,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m glad you’ve found us, and I hope the information on the site proves useful in your mattress shopping search. If you haven’t yet, the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for, and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase (especially when you’re in a more restricted budget range) which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While the terms of “firm” or “plush” aren’t standardized within the industry, those who sleep prone generally are advised by sleep ergonomic researchers to look for something that is on the “firmer” end of the spectrum for surface comfort, and of course has strong support to help maintain neutral alignment. Sleeping prone presents special challenges where you don’t want the mattress to allow too much sinking into the deeper area of the waist/hips region, as this can allow for accentuation of the normal lordotic curvature of the low back and cause poor alignment and pain. When you’re not available to test out a mattress in person, I’ll always recommend a detailed phone conversation with any company or manufacturer you’re considering, as they will be most knowledgeable about matching their products to your particular sleeping style and somatotype.

Latex is one of the most durable comfort materials, and you’d want to be sure that whatever you choose is combined with other materials in the mattress that don’t prematurely shorten the mattress comfort life. I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

A good place to start would be with the site members listed in post #21 here who are all very experienced and knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices. There are a wide range of latex options included in the choices there and many have offerings under $1000, and I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

You may also wish to look through posts #1 and #2 in this topic that includes more information about the new "breed’ of “simplified choice” mattresses (aka “one choice fits all” or “universal comfort” or “bed in a box” or “disruptor” or “millennial” mattresses) that are available online as well that are typically in a budget range of between $600 and $1000 (queen size). There are also quite a few offerings here that contain latex.

For an even more restricted budget then post #4 here and the posts it links to also include many of the better lower budget online options I’m aware of as well, but there will not be as much containing latex here.

If you come up with any more specific questions as you go through your search, I’ll do my best to answer them, but this information should be a good start for you.

Phoenix