Recommended Pocket Coil Manufacturers who sell online

I think I have decided that at my price point (around 1500 tops) that a pocket coil mattress will be my best choice if I want to get a lasting bed with no toxic chemicals. I am concerned mostly with the use of flame retardants; firefighters have been lobbying for law changes regarding these chemicals. I also want a bed that has very little or no poly foam which seems to be the main cause of beds not lasting if I am reading the comments on this site correctly. Memory Foam beds such as Tempurpedic don’t do it for me either and just from browsing manufacturing websites a little from the member list it seems that the pocket coils are a great choice for motion transfer and price.

Just for information purposes: I have been shopping local stores here in Las Vegas for a couple days and am so glad that I stumbled on a review of the Saatura manufacturing company. That led me to here and at the moment Saatura seems to be a great choice. It is just at the top of my price range for the Cal King so if I can find the same thing or better at a cheaper price all the better.

Hi Magicdream,

If your testing has confirmed that your preference is a latex / pocket coil hybrid (and it’s not just based on theory without personal experience) then they can certainly make a great choice.

The tutorial post here also has a link to the members of the site who sell mattresses online. Two of them (Baybed and Flexus) sell latex / pocket coil mattresses that have no polyfoam in them that can ship anywhere in the country. Dreamfoam also has a lower budget pocket coil mattress that has both polyfoam and latex in the comfort layers. Baybed is a component mattress where individual layers and the pocket coils can be chosen individually and/or exchanged for different options after a purchase (it has a zip cover) and Flexus also has several firmness options but they are a “finished” mattress.

There may also be some latex / pocket coil mattresses available locally to you (there are many manufacturers who make this type of mattress) and if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know of any of the better options I’m aware of in your area.

I don’t keep a list of specific mattress constructions made by each manufacturer or the specific materials or components they use so I would make sure that you find out the specifics of the materials and conponents in each mattress you are considering so that they meet the criteria you are comfortable with in terms of how “green” they are (there really isn’t a clear or specific definition or consensus of what a “green” material really is).

Phoenix

I live in Las Vegas 89147 although Las Vegas is not known for it’s manufacturing. I would be surprised if there are any manufacturing plants here at all. If you know of any of course I would love to check them out.

I should mention that both my wife and I have tested several beds from the Mattress Firm, Best Mattress, RC Willey’s, and Walker Furniture. The BeautyRest Recharge with the pocket coils seems to be the best feel from the few minutes we tried them but I did not do the 15 minute test on any of them. These beds were pretty much the only acceptable beds under $1500 in these stores. I didn’t bother testing anything outside of my price range. After reading several review sites and seeing that the sagging issue was a major concern and the return policy did not allow a return if the sag is less than 1.5 inches I obviously can’t buy from them. In fact, you get a clue when the salesman starts writing up a document similar to what a car salesman writes up for a used car.

I realize that I would be taking some kind of a risk buying online but I have had a good experience when I bought my 2002 TransAm WS6 Convertible from a Texas dealership without ever seeing it in person and it was awesome. Online buying doesn’t automatically deter me from making the purchase.

Hi Magicdream,

I somehow missed your mention of Las Vegas in your last post.

In any case … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in Last Vegas are in post #2 here.

I’m guessing you mean Saatva?

If this is who you meant then they are not a latex / pocket coil hybrid. They use a microcoil and polyfoam in their comfort layers and they use a Bonnell coil for their innerspring … not a pocket coil.

Polyfoam can be low quality and less durable material or high quality more durable material depending on the density of the polyfoam but it’s not what most people would call “green” since it’s made mostly from petrochemicals. If you are OK with good quality polyfoam in the comfort layers then you would have more choices in a pocket coil mattress and it would also reduce the cost significantly compared to using latex comfort layers which is a more costly material but it’s also more durable than even good quality polyfoam.

Phoenix

I went to Post #2 which you referenced above and have posted my comments there since it seems more appropriate to keep it all in the same thread.