Regarding spring layer

Should I encase the spring layer side with foam?

No, edge foam perimeter will break down faster than edge to edge coils. Unless you prefer the initial support of a hi density edge foam, if you sit on the edge of the mattress like it was a chair to put shoes and socks on etc.

I assume you are referring to perimeter edge foam surrounding the spring layer. You would then need a truncated spring support layer to accommodate a 3-5in perimeter edge foam support.

I am not a big fan of perimeter edge foam support on a mattress. Others prefer it. I am not one of those folks. Personal preference, but in the long run, edge to edge coils win in my opinion.

Maverick

Edge to edge coils require steel to encase it right,currently the vendor I am buying spring layer from is only using non woven cloth to encase the springs if i am buying just spring

Or could just coil with non woven fabric work?

If they are pocketed coils the are normally individually covered, or sometimes quad coils are 4 coils packed together.

It’s hard to say without knowing and seeing exactly what you are buying.

Video on edge support

Video on various pocketed coils

Check these out.

Maverick

https://m.tb.cn/h.5GGamvhWgrAO0MV?tk=AHndWPiiFlr

Basically I am just buying pocketed springs without the quadcoils, how do I get edge support, is it a must? I can only either get a full spring layer or foam edge support+ spring

The way that spring layer looks, and it is hard to discern from the picture, it appears that the size is intended to have a foam encasement around it, unless you can find a “surrounding coil edge support” caliper style coil edge support like you see here.

I found some but they are from wholesale factory, the import price is very high but I can still afford it, are these worth buying?

It’s not letting me see it, but I can not imagine it is very high quality. But it impossible to know, without at least the specs.

1.8-2.0mm diameter springs,17-18cm tall, there are also 3,5,7,9 zoned options

1 Like

I seem to be finding different conversions. Some list 1.8-2.0 between 12 and 13g and others between 14-15 gauge. Either way the 12-13 is a reasonable firm gauge, assuming it is harded steel and on a turn that creates a supportive coil. Seems ok in terms of numeric value. Hard to speak about quality though.

I was told it’s high carbon or something like that,also is zoned support important?