rejuvenite topper

To continue from the “new bed too plush” topic… We finally decide on an extra firm lumina spirit from urban mattress ( an amazing place in austin to buy a mattress!) to replace the plush one weve had for a month now . Now we have to decide on whether or not to add a rejuvenite topper. We love the feel of latex but couldnt really afford an all latex right now. The rejuvenite topper is the next best thing i guess. It seems more economical than getting a bare latex topper that you would have to add a cover to. Its also from latex international which is known for some of the best latex in the world. Im worried though that the 19 ILD might be too plush because when we layed on the memory foam topper at the shop it was nice but we sank in a bit too much. Anyone have or tried the rejuvenite 19 ILD topper?

Also ive found arizona mattress to be about $15 cheaper than sleeplikeabear on the rejuvenite. I recieved some bed legs from SLAB in a couple of days in the actual bedlegs box so i know they are a good company. Does anyone have info on arizona mattress co? Do they get new products or rejects they sell for less?

Hi bettinamonk,

19 ILD latex would typically allow less sinking in than memory foam (which is typically 15 ILD or less once it softens) but it is also different because it is an “instant response” foam so it may feel softer than some memory foams that take more time to soften. The best way to know for sure though is to actually test a mattress that has 19 ILD on top. If you go to the Pure Latex Bliss site and enter your zip code, you will get a list of outlets that carry the PLB mattresses which uses 19 ILD in the top layers with various layers underneath it. This may give you a sense of the feel of 19 ILD although the layers underneath it will make a difference in how it feels. For example 3" of 13 ILD with a firm layer underneath it will feel different than 3" of 19 ILD with softer layers underneath it. Interestingly enough … Urban mattress is listed as one of the outlets in Austin that carries them although I didn’t know they did (and it’s possible that the listing is incorrect).

To share my personal experience (and I’m 6’5" and 195 lbs) … 3" of 19 ILD (this was not the rejuvenite topper) on top of a layer that was 32 ILD or less was fine for me on my side (the position that has the most pressure points) but over a much firmer layer allowed me to feel the firmness of the layer below it. Of course your own experience may be much different from me or anyone else.

Arizona mattress (AKA mattresses.net) is a member of this site and like the other members here offers some of the best value in North America. They sell only new materials and are an actual factory that manufactures mattresses. Regardless of where you order though … make sure you are clear about any return policies and shipping charges as they will differ between outlets.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

I remember trying the memory foam layer and it was completely fine. I think it was a 3" layer with bamboo cover, broken in and on a humid warm day. The top of the extra firm wasnt too hard but i think might be for the whole night which is why i think a topper might be necessary. We did try the PLB topper they carry which was 2" and probably 14 ILD. It was too soft. You just sink through.

We do have a PLB shop out in bee caves (Austin natural mattress) which is about 15 min from our apartment. I might go out there to try one out today when get off work.

Arizona mattress has no return policy and SLAB has one you can buy. SLAB also charges a 25% restocking fee. So i guess ill contact both and see who can have it here faster.

Hi bettinamonk,

As you mention, this extra firm would probably be a little firm over the course of the night for most side sleepers. 2" of 14 ILD is also a thin and very soft layer which would not isolate most people from much firmer layers underneath it that didn’t include some “softness” in the mix. Having 3" of 14 ILd would isolate most people more (and may even be enough for some people) but would still likely allow many side sleepers to feel much firmer layers underneath it. Increasing the ILD to 19 for a 3" layer would isolate firm layers even more yet and would likely be enough for most people who liked a softer top layer but didn’t want to feel firmer layers underneath it. It would certainly be a lot safer than 3" of 14 ILD but not quite as “safe” as a topper say in the low 20’s. It would depend a lot on height, weight, and body shape and the sensitvity of each person.

Phoenix

The delivery people from urban mattress came today and brought in a new mattress. I looked at it before they sliced open the wrapping and it turned out to be the luxury firm. Woops! The delivery folks said that the last line they carried labeled them differently so there was only one firm instead of two like the luminas. They said they will bring it first thing thursday morning.

We went to try the PLB mattresses and it turned out they also sell PLB toppers too. We layed on the 3" 17 ILD topper on their firmest bed (memory foam I think) and it made a rock of a bed feel super nice. That pretty much seals the deal on buying the 19 ILD rejuvenite topper. Now I have to decide who to buy it from. Im thinking either arizona mattress or SLAB. Ive contacted both and they both have sent replies. SLAB has it at $420 with free shipping. With the discount arizona mattress it would be about $392 with shipping but im worried about it being seconds from LI. The email i received said they would ship it from their warehouse in wichita falls. I thought they were located in arizona? SLAB guaranteed it to be firsts quality directly from LI. Im still just sour about the overstock talatech pillow I guess.

Hi bettinamonk,

If the 3" 17 ILD topper worked for you … then the 19 should be a good choice.

While the price difference is not a lot so either one would make a good choice … as I mentioned in post #2 … Arizona mattress is a long time mattress manufacturer who I know and respect (like the other members of this site and many who are not) and they don’t sell or use “seconds” from LI or any of their other suppliers. They also have co-operative relationships with other suppliers and outlets not unlike many other smaller manufacturers who work together in various ways for their common benefit.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

I ordered the queen rejuvenite plush topper from sleeplikeabear today and was sent an email saying that it would ship today as well. We’re excited to see how it feels but based on the PLB 17 ild topper im sure it will feel great. Its just crazy to think the topper was almost as much as the mattress we bought! Will update when it arrives. Hope the puzzle is solved.

Hi bettinamonk,

I hope your puzzle is solved as well!

Just imagine you had ordered a 3" topper from here instead. At least you’d have a very nice zip cover and some wool quilting for your $1589 :unsure:

Phoenix

wow…so Phoenix…based on the materials this is essentially the same topper but for 200X the price?

just trying to get my mind around it…

Hi nola,

In all fairness, the Savvy Rest uses 100% natural talalay instead of blended talalay (and if anything the natural would be slightly less durable if it was the same ILD), is probably a little higher ILD, and also has a thick layer of wool in the cover so they are not exactly comparable but having said this … they would perform a similar function and there’s no way that the difference in materials justifies the difference in price IMO.

I could buy a LOT of wool for the extra cost :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Just recieved the topper and it was in the LI packaging just like the bedlegs were. It is compressed a bit where it was folded over to get it into the box, but no big deal. It is heavier than i thought. I cant believe how heavy an all latex mattress would be! It feels fantastic to lay on and almost seems like you dont need a pillow. We will see how the pillow situation is now that we have a plush sleep surface. Im wondering if it would be ok to just put an extra sheet on the topper instead of the mattress pad? I noticed that the pad takes away from the luxuriousness of the latex. I did read on the covers tag to not machine wash it so that rules it out as a pad substitute. We will use the pad for now and see how it goes. Cant wait to test it out tonight!

Hi bettinamonk,

As far as performance goes, using just a sheet would be fine but of course a mattress protector will protect the topper from stains and accidents better than a sheet. Different types of mattress protectors will have different effects on the layers below them as well. What type of protector do you have?

I would decide about the protector based on how important it was to protect the topper from accidents and stains and on the likelihood this might happen vs having having something on top that affects the feel. The topper itself would protect the mattress (stains on a mattress void the warranty).

Phoenix

The pad is an inexpensive kohls one that i bought years ago. Im not so worried about spills as i am stains from body oils and sweat.

Hi bettinamonk,

There are many different types of mattress protectors and pads and each of them have a different set of tradeoffs between breathability, elasticity (and how much it affects the feel of the mattress) and water resistance or waterproofness. The ones that tend to affect a mattress the least are the thinnest ost stretchable ones. Some of these have a thin waterproof membrane bonded to a natural material like cotton which affects the mattress less but are not as breathable as a natural fiber without the membrane so can be a little warmer. Others like the Dormeir are a thin layer of wool which is much more breathable and water resistant (not waterproof) but can affect the mattress a little more.

I’m not sure which type you have but a forum title search on protect and cover will bring up much more information about the different choices here andhow they can affect your mattress. It’'s a good idea to protect more expensive materials from moisture and body oils that all of us give off at night IMO although in this case the mattress would be protected by the latex topper but the topper itself itself wouldn’t be as well protected by just a sheet.

Phoenix

We have been sleeping on the new combo for a few nights and its working out great. I think it actually might be a bit on the soft side. I kind of enjoyed sleeping on top of the mattress and not inside it. I think that getting a mattress protecter that has knit stretchy fabric to allow the latex to conform to our bodies more might help. With the one we have now its like sinking into the plush bed we previouslly had. Are there any mattress protectors that would stretch with the lattex? We might also buy some knit sheets.

Hi bettinamonk,

At least a latex topper is not 'in" the mattress as much as memory foam but with a 3" 19 ILD topper it would certainly be more than with a firmer or thinner latex. Your mattress pad may also be part of what you are feeling as well.

Did you click the two links in my last post? There’s lots of information about mattress protectors in them.

A few sources of jersey knit sheets are in post #3 here.

Phoenix