Relocation: Transporting a King 9" Sleep Science Mattress

[color=blue]Hello,

My wife and I purchased a 9" latex about 18 months ago and we have really enjoyed it. Coming up shortly we will be relocating from southern CA to the Portland area and are working out the logistics of our pack and move.

Do you have any recommendations as to how to pack, handle and move the mattress? Thankfully on purchase it was delivered upstairs for us but getting it out and into a moving container or truck is what I am trying to wrap my mind around. Undoubtedly the mattress will get folded into a U shape to get downstairs but I am curious if it is OK to use tie downs to keep it in this configuration while in transit (several days) or if that will cause it to split. This particular mattress is has the layers bonded (Costco)

So far my plan is to use a thick plastic mattress cover, get a large 2x4, fold it in half around the wood, and then transport it like a pig en route to a luau. If it can be left like that for some time that should make fitting into the moving container or truck more reasonable but if it must lie flat during transit that will cause us some trouble.

If you could provide any tips for safe packing/transit I’d really appreciate it.

Thank you[/color]

Hey jcope,

Welcome to the TMU Forum :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your question.

[quote]My wife and I purchased a 9" latex about 18 months ago and we have really enjoyed it. Coming up shortly we will be relocating…Do you have any recommendations as to how to pack, handle and move the mattress?.. Undoubtedly the mattress will get folded into a U shape to get downstairs but I am curious if it is OK to use tie downs to keep it in this configuration while in transit (several days) or if that will cause it to split. This particular mattress is has the layers bonded (Costco).

So far my plan is to use a thick plastic mattress cover, get a large 2x4, fold it in half around the wood, and then transport it like a pig en route to a luau. If it can be left like that for some time that should make fitting into the moving container or truck more reasonable but if it must lie flat during transit that will cause us some trouble.[/quote]

Happy to hear that you’re enjoying your latex mattress and congrats on your upcoming move, know this is a busy time for you with lots going on. Just wondering, what size is your latex mattress? Also, what is the mattress brand/vendor? You definitely want to review any product warranty information regarding potential handling that could void your mattress’s warranty. If for example, if it is a king size, the way the layers are bonded could be damaged by transporting it in the manner you propose, possibly voiding any current warranty coverage. I checked Costco’s website, looks like researching warranty info appears to be specific to a Costco membership number and a LiveChat conversation, I’ve added the link here in case that helps. Looking forward to hearing your updates…

Thanks,
Sensei

Thank you for reaching out. This is indeed a king size mattress. I reached out to the manufacturer but have yet to hear back if they have any recs in terms of moving. As much as I want to protect warranty, I am honestly just hoping to get it there in one piece any way shape or form.