Replacement for Stearns & Foster Estate Governor's Palace Ultra Firm?

Hello experts,

I used to own a Queen-sized Estate Governor’s Palace Ultra Firm and loved how firm it was for my lower back pain.

Now this line has discontinued and I’m looking for its replacement. I have two questions:

1. What is the equivalent of this model for my next purchase now?

2. My only complaint from it was probably it was too hot to sleep on in the summer- if for the same firmness but with a better cooling system, what is the model I should buy now? Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Hi wangl042!

Welcome to our Mattress Forum :slight_smile:

]I was unable to uncover any details about this mattress (height, if it’s a hybrid, innerspring, or all-foam mattress, etc.). Unfortunately, I’m unable to make any sort of meaningful commentary without knowing the mattress specifications. I did come across this mattress…but it is an “Estate Palace” not an “Estate Governor’s Palace” model. Is this the mattress you currently are looking to replace?

If you’re looking to stay with a Stearns and Foster mattress, you could try to reach out to them directly to ask what they’d consider the equivalent of your current mattress.

It’s always a bit of a frustration when a mattress you’ve been used to is discontinued, especially when it has been offering you great support! Attempting to find something that is exactly the same is often a frustrating and futile exercise especially if you are trying to do this on your own. There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one.
Every individual layer and component in a mattress (including the cover, FR barrier, any quilting material, and of course all foam layers) will affect the feel and response of every other layer and component both above and below it and the mattress “as a whole” so you would need to carefully assess the design and the specs of each mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials in order to determine if that the mattress in its entirety will be a good “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP(Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences)

“Sleeping hot” is a common and complex issue especially for mattresses that use memory foam or polyfoams in the comfort layers. While memory foam has real strengths in the area of pressure relief and movement isolation, it also has some drawbacks because of its very different qualities and structure. It tends to sleep hot for those who are sensitive to this and even the newer generation more breathable memory foams are not as breathable or open-celled as other types of foam. Because of this, it looks to me like you are a candidate of looking into making a shift towards a mattress with higher quality components that is equally supportive and won’t sleep as hot, I’d recommend that you pay a visit to a local shop and test a latex feel to see if you like it. Latex allows for more airflow than any other foams and when changing positions on the mattress the air will be moved in and out like within an accordion. You can learn ahead of your visit about the Latex as a comfort layer as an important part of temperature regulation for those who tend to sleep hot.

Layers that are closer to the top sleeping surface will have the greatest impact upon comfort and sleeping temperature (including any mattress pad, sheets, and linen). I am not sure if you came across some of our posts that discuss temperature regulations issues, but you can read more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here more about tracking mattress temperature regulation issues potential causes ~ Post #2 here (at least to the degree possible for a specific mattress) and the posts it links to that may be helpful.

Before you go too much down the rabbit hole with trying to match the S&F, I’d make sure that you do some reading & research of the mattress shopping tutorial (there is a condensed version of it ) which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps, more importantly, know how and why to avoid the worst ones. Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well he will sleep), durability (how long he will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

When assessing any product, also be sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the mattress durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

If you’re able to find the specs of your current mattress from S&F and share them here, I’d be happy to provide a little more commentary.

Phoenix