Replacement mattress for an adjustable base

Hey all,

First of all, I want to thank those of you who helped me with my last mattress purchase. While that mattress has been great, I think it’s met its end. For me anyway.

Lately I’ve found that that I seem to get better quality sleep on a crappy old spring stiff mattress in the spare bedroom than on my mattress in the master bedroom. When sleeping on my mattress, I wake up having experienced reflux and some back pains. Apparently I’m in need of more support than this mattress is offering.

Btw: I ended up going with the dream foam on Amazon . It was a $699 king if I recall. High density core with talalay latex sub layer and a poly foam comfort layer. I’m not entirely sure of what the density was, but it was supposed to be middle of the road. There was noticeable impression for me almost immediately.

So, after trouble with reflux at night for an extended time, I’ve decided to try an adjustable base for my wife and I in hopes that I could elevate my torso more to help with snoring and reflux. I found an amazing deal on some factory second bases at about 25% of the normal sale price.

I guess what I need help with now is picking a pair of twin xl mattresses for my adjustable bases. I wondered about diy building something by stripping down my existing mattress and using my latex layer w/ a new comfort layer and cutting it in half. (I’m assuming that my latex layer hasn’t formed an impression). That or a decent pair of twin xl mattresses that would be a good value for components used. I like the idea of memory foam as long as it would be cool, but I’m not against latex either.

I realize my questions are very vague. I hope that by bouncing my ideas off of you guys that I can narrow my search with your help. At this point I don’t really know what I need, want or like. I suppose the support I need would be the most important goal at this point

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi rockscreation16,

[quote]First of all, I want to thank those of you who helped me with my last mattress purchase. While that mattress has been great, I think it’s met its end. For me anyway.

Lately I’ve found that that I seem to get better quality sleep on a crappy old spring stiff mattress in the spare bedroom than on my mattress in the master bedroom. When sleeping on my mattress, I wake up having experienced reflux and some back pains. Apparently I’m in need of more support than this mattress is offering.

Btw: I ended up going with the dream foam on Amazon . It was a $699 king if I recall. High density core with talalay latex sub layer and a poly foam comfort layer. I’m not entirely sure of what the density was, but it was supposed to be middle of the road. There was noticeable impression for me almost immediately.[/quote]

Welcome back to the forum and I’m sorry to hear that you aren’t sleeping well on your mattress.

You posted about the mattress you originally purchased in post #21 here and as you mentioned it was the Dreamfoam mattress in a comfort level of 6 which has a latex layer of 24 ILD. While the materials themselves are likely to still be in good condition … it sounds like the mattress just wasn’t a suitable "match for you in terms of PPP.

There is some information about the most common “symptoms” that people may experience on a mattress and the most likely reasons for them in post #2 here but if you are experiencing lower back pains then the most likely (but not the only) cause would be a mattress that is too soft for you. If this is the case then there are some suggestions in post #4 here that may be helpful at least to check if there is something that can help before you consider mattress surgery.

If you do decide to do “mattress surgery” then some of the information in post #2 here may be helpful.

If you are attracted to the idea of designing and building your own mattress out of separate components and a separate cover then the first place to start (and hopefully you’ve read this already since you’ve already purchased your layers) is by reading option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have more realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process. While it can certainly be a rewarding project … the best approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen).

For those who decide to take on the challenge then I would normally suggest either using the specs (if they are available) of a mattress that you have tested and confirmed is a good match for you in terms of PPP as a reference point (the same type and blend of latex in the same thickness and firmness levels and a very similar cover which can also make a significant difference to the feel and performance of a mattress) or use a “bottom up” approach (see post #2 here).

You are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components would be the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing or personal experience … hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I would make sure you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here (which didn’t exist when you were here previously) which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

Since you are considering both memory foam and latex there is more about the pros and cons of each of them and how they compare in post #2 here although as you know they are very different materials that have a very different feel and response.

There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel” that may help with some of the “theory” if you decide on a DIY mattress but this may also be more than you really need to know.

Phoenix

Alright. So, here I am.

I think there might have been a misunderstanding in what I mentioned before.

When I was referring to the base, I meant frame. I bought 2 twin XL adjustable bases-frames for a great price of $500. They were new in the box factory seconds, but I’ve yet to find any imperfections. http://www.samsclub.com/sams/motionessentials-adj-twin-xl-foundation/prod10221236.ip
These bases are normally around $700 a piece.

So, my original plan was to modify my existing mattress from dreamfoam bedding to alleviate some of the sag. From what I can tell the only wear showing on the dreamfoam mattress is the poly foam pillowtop-ish layer. The talalay latex comfort layer is in good shape I’m sure. There’s definitely an impression on the top, and it’s noticeable when lying down.

Anyway, when I picked up the bases I asked if they had any latex mattress seconds. To my surprise they did. There was one plush king latex mattress that was missing a tag. I figured it would at least give me something else to work with. Come to find out, it’s a PranaSleep mattress. It’s this model http://www.pranasleep.com/sub-collection.asp?collectionID=45&sizeID=4
Apparently this mattress costs $6150 when purchased directly from PranaSleep’s website. I only paid this mattress store $100 for it.

I have now performed surgery on it. I found it to be too plush. I removed the pillow top and cut it into 2x-Twin XL mattresses. With the pillow top removed, the feel is much better. The support seems much better as well. After tearing it down to the foam layers, it appears that it’s solid latex in several layers of varying density.

This is what they say about the core layer: Our exclusive and proprietary-formula latex foam rubber – the highest-grade mattress foam available – has more than triple the natural rubber as ordinary Talalay latex, and offers the perfect balance of terra-firma support℠ and pressure-relieving comfort.

This is what they say about the comfort layer: Our proprietary formula of layered densities of the world’s finest latex is designed to offer maximum pressure relief and enhance conformance for deeper, more restorative sleep.

at any rate, this mattress is obviously worth way more than I paid considering what just 10" of good latex would cost me.

I wrapped the foam with a fitted sheet and slept on it last night. My wife said that it was by far the most comfortable mattress she’s experienced, and she said that I didn’t snore at all last night. That’s pretty amazing. Maybe I stumbled onto something good. Do you have any information on this company and their materials? They seem to think highly of it at those prices. Can’t pay too much for zen though right…?

What I need now is a good way to wrap the mattresses to protect the foam.

Do you have a recommendation on a zippered mattress cover in twin XL to protect the foam from tearing, but that will maintain the ventilation from the perforated latex foam?

Hi rockscreation,

[quote]I think there might have been a misunderstanding in what I mentioned before.

When I was referring to the base, I meant frame. I bought 2 twin XL adjustable bases-frames for a great price of $500. They were new in the box factory seconds, but I’ve yet to find any imperfections. www.samsclub.com/sams/motionessentials-a...tion/prod10221236.ip
These bases are normally around $700 a piece.[/quote]

I did understand what you meant. Any mattress that uses materials and components that are flexible enough to conform to the movements of your adjustable bed (which would include most latex, polyfoam, or memory foam mattresses and many pocket coil mattresses as well) would generally work well on an adjustable bed. Elevating the head of the adjustable bed can also be very helpful with acid reflux issues as well. It sounds like the adjustable bed you purchased was a great price and a good value choice. In very general terms … I would use about 12" as a maximum mattress thickness for a mattress that is being used on an adjustable bed because it may not conform as well if it’s thicker than this.

A minimal amount of visible impressions would be normal but if the impressions are more “virtual” and are mostly noticeable when you sleep on the mattress and aren’t visible when you aren’t on the mattress (or are only minimal) then it usually means that the comfort choice you made was on the edge of being too soft for you and that even a relatively small amount of initial foam softening under the heavier parts of your body was enough to put you outside the comfort/support range that is suitable for you (see post #2 here).

If the visible impressions are deeper than 1.5" (you can measure them with a string or a straight edge across the impression) then it’s also possible that the materials in your mattress were defective and you would have a warranty issue as well.

[quote]Anyway, when I picked up the bases I asked if they had any latex mattress seconds. To my surprise they did. There was one plush king latex mattress that was missing a tag. I figured it would at least give me something else to work with. Come to find out, it’s a PranaSleep mattress. It’s this model www.pranasleep.com/sub-collection.asp?collectionID=45&sizeID=4
Apparently this mattress costs $6150 when purchased directly from PranaSleep’s website. I only paid this mattress store $100 for it.

I have now performed surgery on it. I found it to be too plush. I removed the pillow top and cut it into 2x-Twin XL mattresses. With the pillow top removed, the feel is much better. The support seems much better as well. After tearing it down to the foam layers, it appears that it’s solid latex in several layers of varying density.

This is what they say about the core layer: Our exclusive and proprietary-formula latex foam rubber – the highest-grade mattress foam available – has more than triple the natural rubber as ordinary Talalay latex, and offers the perfect balance of terra-firma support℠ and pressure-relieving comfort.

This is what they say about the comfort layer: Our proprietary formula of layered densities of the world’s finest latex is designed to offer maximum pressure relief and enhance conformance for deeper, more restorative sleep.

at any rate, this mattress is obviously worth way more than I paid considering what just 10" of good latex would cost me.

I wrapped the foam with a fitted sheet and slept on it last night. My wife said that it was by far the most comfortable mattress she’s experienced, and she said that I didn’t snore at all last night. That’s pretty amazing. Maybe I stumbled onto something good. Do you have any information on this company and their materials? They seem to think highly of it at those prices. Can’t pay too much for zen though right…?
[/quote]

You can read more about the previous versions (up to version 4) of Pranasleep mattresses in post #3 here and in post #2 here and in post #3 here and in posts #1 and #2 here and a forum search on Prana (you can just click this) will also bring up more information and feedback about them as well.

The old models of Pranasleep used thicker layers of polyfoam in the quilting layers than I would be comfortable with that was a weak link in their mattresses but if you are comfortable with buying a used mattress then just the latex alone in the mattress (which I believe is 7" in the Vinyasa) would probably be well worth the price you paid.

As far as I know Pranasleep uses 100% natural Talalay from Latex International in their mattresses but I don’t know the specific firmness of the individual layers so you would need some trial and error to find the combination of layers that works best for you out of the layers that are available to you.

That’s great news that you slept so well on your layering combination. While I wouldn’t personally consider their mattresses at the prices they normally charge … it’s certainly a great source of latex layers for a DIY project at the prices you paid.

Best of all though you seem to have slept well on the layers you are sleeping on which is great news :slight_smile:

[quote]What I need now is a good way to wrap the mattresses to protect the foam.

Do you have a recommendation on a zippered mattress cover in twin XL to protect the foam from tearing, but that will maintain the ventilation from the perforated latex foam? [/quote]

The component post here includes the better sources for mattress covers I’m aware of and if you are looking for a thinner and more stretchy knit cover instead of a quilted cover then the list in post #4 here may be helpful as well.

Phoenix

I actually ended up getting the mattress new. It was still in the plastic. Looked like it had a tear in the side of the attic where it had been stained in transit.

There appears to be 9.5" of latex from what I can tell. All layers feel like latex. There’s a 6" base layer, then 1.5… And two layers of 1". Sequentially less dense as it moves up.

Hi rockscreation16,

It’s unlikely that the mattress is new and used mattresses are also sold in plastic (it’s easy to bag a used mattress in plastic). If a mattress is missing the law tag (which is actually a legal requirement) then it’s almost certainly either used or a warranty return being sold by a dealer that is working in the shady side of the industry.

If you have the Vinyasa then it would include 7" of latex and the rest is polyfoam. You can see the layering of the Vinyasa Plush here (just click overview) but it now has higher quality/density polyfoam than the previous versions but $100 for 7" of latex is a good price even if the materials are used.

Phoenix