Replacing 25 year-old mattress and we are 25 years older if you know what I mean!

Hi,
My husband and I are in the market for a new mattress and most likely adjustable bed so that he can elevate his head (sleep apnea, back problems). After getting discouraged by the prices of sleepnumber bed solutions, I stumbled upon your website (thank goodness - what an education you have provided me!) and I think am interested in a latex hybrid mattress with the ability to split and adjust.
I’m assuming what makes the sleep number bed individually adjustable is an air mattress, which you seem to not be a big fan of.
A colleague told me to look at Costco at their beds which sell for about $2500 for mattress and adjustable bed base.
What are your thoughts about SleepScience 10" or the 11" Black Diamond?
Am I deluding myself about paying less than $5000.00 for this bed?
Thanks for any insights.

Hi ecollins,

I’m glad you found us :slight_smile:

The first place I would start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

I would also treat the purchase of a mattress and an adjustable bed as two separate purchases. A mattress choice will be much more of an individual choice while the purchase of an adjustable bed which all have similar features and options available will be more of a “price vs features” purchase. There is more about buying an adjustable bed in post #3 here and the adjustable bed thread it links to which includes some sources that you can use as a “value reference”.

If you are looking at an adjustable bed then it’s also important that you confirm that any mattress you purchase will work well on it but other than this is won’t affect which mattress is best for you.

Yes … the air bladder is primarily a support system not a comfort layer and air is either fully compressed or not compressed at all and has no “progressive resistance” that can adapt to changing conditions or sleeping positions (outside of manual adjustments) unlike other types of support systems or components. There is more about the pros and cons or airbeds in this article.

You can see some of my thoughts about buying from Costco in post #4 here.

You can read about one of the conversations I had with Sleep Science in post #2 here.

My thoughts about the 11" Black Diamond are in post #4 here and the posts it links to.

My thoughts about the Sleep Science Emma (Costco’s 10" mattress) are in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

Phoenix