Replacing 8 yr old Latex Mattress

My wife and I purchased a Cal King Wynkoop St Plush from Sleep Nation in Lone Tree, Colorado back in January 2015. I’m a larger guy at 6’3" 265lb and my wife is 5’10" at 130lb and we loved the bed at first. It was very soft and we just melted into it. However, in the past couple years the bed has become much firmer than we wanted. This model is not flippable. However, it looks like SleepUnion (again, looks like the same company as Sleep Nation) has the same mattresses, but at least the new Wynkoop is flippable. However, it’s very expensive.

I’m disappointed that our current mattress appears to be one solid piece. I unzipped the cover today and saw that the bottom appears to be standard yellow foam. There is certainly latex on the top, and through the middle, but again it appears to be one thick piece.

For these reasons, I’m looking at DIYing the bed in several layers. A DIY approach appears to be more than 50% cheaper than the current offering at Sleep Union. But because they never told us what the layers were, I can’t really replicate what we had. With that said, we’re really wanting something that will allow us to melt into the bed and still give us support on the lower back and in the hips to ribs regions like our mattress originally did. I’m OK with replacing the top layer every 5-8 years, but I’m hoping I won’t have to do that.

I am curious about these layers. Do the layers tend to move over time? Like, do they slide sideways and need to be reoriented? I’ve also read that there was a particular brand latex layer that had a glue seam running down the middle of the bed. Do all brands have this?

With all this said, does anyone have any recommendations? Should I just start emailing some companies (Latex Mattress Factory, Arizona Premium Mattresses)? Thank you!

EDIT TO ADD:

I forgot to mention that we have a nice platform now with many firm slats that allow air flow and central support. We also have two twin box frames (metal rod and wood) under the latex mattress. These have fabric covers but allow the mattress to breathe.

Hi joltman, and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

My wife and I purchased a Cal King Wynkoop St Plush from Sleep Nation in Lone Tree, Colorado back in January 2015. I’m a larger guy at 6’3" 265lb and my wife is 5’10" at 130lb and we loved the bed at first. It was very soft and we just melted into it. However, in the past couple years the bed has become much firmer than we wanted

Sorry to hear your 2015 Wynkoop is no longer suiting you. Assuming that was all latex like the current version, with your higher BMI the comfort level may have been too soft…without adequate support you can ‘bottom out’ to lower layers compressing the mattress. The current version has 2 6" layers of organic latex of unknown ILD, with a cotton and wool cover, and as you say it is flippable, but latex is one of the most durable materials you can have in a mattress and such a dramatic change in feel from very soft to too hard is unusual - as you can see in the Mattress Specifications You Need to Know compared to the Mattress Durability Guidelines

Any mattress you and your wife finally choose will be unique to you both, based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s), and any underlying health conditions), and your PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences); thanks for providing you and your wifes’ partial Stats!

For these reasons, I’m looking at DIYing the bed in several layers. A DIY approach appears to be more than 50% cheaper than the current offering at Sleep Union. But because they never told us what the layers were, I can’t really replicate what we had. With that said, we’re really wanting something that will allow us to melt into the bed and still give us support on the lower back and in the hips to ribs regions like our mattress originally did
I am curious about these layers. Do the layers tend to move over time? Like, do they slide sideways and need to be reoriented? I’ve also read that there was a particular brand latex layer that had a glue seam running down the middle of the bed. Do all brands have this?

It is not usual for layers to ‘move around’ if they are properly constructed and inside a good-fitting cover. The glue seam issue is not common, for ease of shipping sometimes latex is cut in half but there should not be a noticeable seam.

I forgot to mention that we have a nice platform now with many firm slats that allow air flow and central support. We also have two twin box frames (metal rod and wood) under the latex mattress. These have fabric covers but allow the mattress to breathe.
A DIY can be the most rewarding way to customize a mattress, allowing you and your wife to have your own comfort and support layers, if needed. It can require some trial and error drilling down to get the components right, but also allows you to interchange layers - like a plush comfort layer with firmer support layers under - until you get it right. You want a softer top layer, but still need to make sure you have adequate support to avoid any aches, pains or even misalignment. Also keep in mind Talalay latex and Dunlop latex have very different feels - Talalay is considered ‘bouncier’( think of the difference between angel food cake and pound cake). I would also make sure that you check with any manufacturer you are considering to make sure your slatted base is compatible and does not damage the mattress or void any warranty of exchange policies just in case you need to avail yourself of these.

Several of the Trusted Members of the site specialize in DIY, like DIY Mattress, DIY Natural Bedding, and Latex Mattress Factory, among others; these all have plenty of experience in assisting consumers with their DIY projects; they have been vetted for quality, great customer communication and generous exchange and return policies. You can email or call any of them and by providing them with both of your Stats and PPP they can help you begin your DIY project and assist you in finding your next great mattress that will provide many years of comfortable sleeping!

~ Basilio

@Basilio thank you so much for the recommendations. I’ve already emailed Arizona Premium Mattress and Latex Mattress Factory. I will email the others you mentioned as well.

LMF has recommended individual sleeping layers for my wife and I. they said that the plush latex was probably too soft for me. It was so comfortable though! But I’m inclined to agree with them (and you!). Due to the Cal King requirement, LMF is saying that they will need to glue 4" on to the layers we purchase. That seems fine to me. Also, I will ask them about the bed platform we have now and hope they agree that it’s adequate. I was thinking of reusing the base boxes as well as they give a nice height to the bed. If I have more questions, I’ll post here.

Thank you for your quick response on a weekend!

Jim

Hi joltman,

Glad I could help! Yes, though you might want an extra soft comfort layer, being a bigger size means you need to consider support as well…you will be in good hands with the manufacturers you have contacted. Also you and your wife can consider a California split king if your comfort and support preferences are very different. Hope to hear how the project progresses!

~ Basilio

During our fist purchase back in 2015, we were told that we needed to buy something similar to this. We were told that we needed this to ensure that no body oils got onto the mattress, otherwise our warranty would be void. It’s thin, but is water proof. I’m sure this has added to extra warmth. But my question to the forum is, do we need some sort of protector again? Do we need to keep using this, or do we not need it at all? Or maybe a quilted wool topper? We were going to be getting a zip cover for the DIY mattress, but do we need this as well? Thanks!

Hi joltman,

I would check with the DIY manufacturer you choose, as the warranty is for that specific latex. In general, you don’t want the latex to touch your skin as alkaline sand minerals in your perspiration and skin oils can cause damage to the latex, and you also need to avoid moisture , as this could lead to mold. Any fitted zippered case will allow air flow through the mattress. A waterproof mattress protector would keep moisture away from the latex, and if you prefer, a wool or cotton topper provides an extra layer of breathability between your skin and the protector, keeping you from sleeping ‘hot’.

~ Basilio