Replacing the comfort layer on an old pocket coil mattress

We’ve recently replaced the bed in our master bedroom with an all-latex mattress. The old mattress is about 18 years old and one of the S brands, pocket coil type. I’m moving it to a spare bedroom where it will get little use other than for occasional guests. There are some indentations where my wife and I slept on it for 18 years, and I’m wondering if that can be resolved by replacing the pillow top on the mattress.

What would be the best approach to replacing the comfort layer on this mattress? Should I try to deconstruct it first, to see what the layers look like on the inside? The mattress is 14" thick and it looks to me like the comfort layer is about 5" thick. If I do go with this approach, I guess I would need to replace the mattress cover? Or is there a way to replace the comfort layers by just pulling back the top of the mattress and then just rolling it back and keeping everything together with a mattress protector?

Hey fug1.

Yeah, might as well have a look. You also want to rule out whether or not the springs are part of the issue. If they are, it doesn’t matter how you rework the comfort layers, your guests will experience dips in the mattress.

Honestly, probably best to get a new encasement that fits the new specs of your mattress. You may opt for less or more material, and a proper encasement will ensure everything stays in place.

I think there are 5 sided zippered protectors (like, to keep bed bugs out, etc.) that you could potentially use instead of a new encasement.

What materials are you thinking for the comfort layers?

NikkiTMU

2 Likes

Is there a good way to determine whether the springs are part of the issue? I assume springs gradually wear out, and without weight on them they probably look fine? Or would I see a dip in the springs?

I have an existing elastic 5-sided protector that seems to be a tight fit, I wonder if that would be sufficient. At least temporarily until I can confirm that the comfort layer is sufficient and I know how thick the overall mattress will be.

I was thinking of latex for the comfort layer. If the existing comfort layer is 5" thick, I could probably replace it with 2" medium and 2" soft latex?

I recall reading that some older mattress have fiberglass in them, and breathing that in after deconstructing the mattress could be hazardous. Is that only the case for very old mattresses, or is there a chance my S-brand mattress might have fiberglass in it?