Replicate a Hyatt Grand Bed II

Am a semi-regular at Hyatt, and their Hyatt Grand Bed II, with the Euro Pillowtop, works great for my lousy back and neck (degenerative disc-back and stenosis-neck). I was ready to look into purchasing the combo, but see on their website that they’ve discontinued the mattress sales.
Question: can anyone advise how I could replicate this mattress and top? I’m desperate!!

Thanks in advance.
Mike J.

Hi MikeJ,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

[quote]Am a semi-regular at Hyatt, and their Hyatt Grand Bed II, with the Euro Pillowtop, works great for my lousy back and neck (degenerative disc-back and stenosis-neck). I was ready to look into purchasing the combo, but see on their website that they’ve discontinued the mattress sales.
Question: can anyone advise how I could replicate this mattress and top? I’m desperate!![/quote]

“Hotel mattresses” tend to be more basic versions of the retails products that many mattress companies offer (which isn’t a good thing). They tend to be firmer products using softer “top-of-bed” materials to create extra plushness. There’s more good information about hotel mattresses in post #3 here.

The Hyatt Grand Bed II is not much different from a “normal” Sealy Posturepedic (being a Eurotop is a method of assembly and not a comfort designation). In most cases … hotel bed purchases are disappointing and like all major brands they contain a lot of polyfoam which is subject to early softening and breakdown. There really isn’t much value there. If you did want to replicate your experience at the hotel … at least for a little while … then you would also need to buy the whole ensemble (or at least the topper or feather bed depending on which one you slept on and probably the triple sheets which will also contribute to the feel of the bed). This would add even more layers that were subject to softening and early breakdown. There are also a lot of unhappy people who have bought this mattress in the past and complain that it feels nothing like what they remember.

Without the specs (and they don’t reveal them … not even the coil count) it’s not possible to approximate the mattress. Quite frankly you could do better “replicating” the mattress just by lying on some of the Sealys in a store and adding a topper or a featherbed, even though this would also be a poor choice. You can see some examples of Sealy Hotel mattresses ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: innroomsupplies.com/v/vspfiles/pdfs/BedsRollAwaysFrames_Website_InnRoomSupplies.pdf here and ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: docstoc.com/docs/85262959/SEALY-MATTRESS-AND-FOUNDATION-SETS-HOTEL-COLLECTION-SEALY-here and here and as you can see they range from plush to firm and have a variety of different types and quality levels. In general though they will be layers of plush foam over a good quality innerspring and cater to a “feel” that the majority of people would enjoy in the short term sleeping environment of a hotel stay. This doesn’t necessarily translate into a mattress that is suitable for longer term use.

What I would suggest though is to start from the beginning and test for the pressure relief, alignment, and overall feel that you need and prefer, and best try to approximate the feel that you prefer while travelling, but doing so using product containing quality materials. The guidelines expressed in the mattress shopping tutorial here are a good place to start. You would more than likely prefer something using higher density and firmer foams, with perhaps softer higher density polyfoam in the upper quilt panel or perhaps a latex topper, for a more durable plush comfort. Something along these lines could provide a feel that is in the range of what you experienced in the hotel, but it would have a longer comfort life.

If you provide me with your zip code, I can see if I am aware of any retailers in your area who might be able to provide quality products or assistance in your search.

Phoenix

Very helpful, Phoenix. Thanks very much for sharing your insight. I live in Roswell, GA., a northern suburb of Atlanta. 30076

Hi MikeJ,

You’re very welcome.

Subject to confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list is completely transparent (see this article ) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your specific criteria and the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Atlanta, GA area are listed in post #2 here .

Phoenix

I had the same questions. I’ve almost read the entire forum of information on choosing a mattress. We have slept on a waterbed for 33 years. It is the bladder only type. I would be in such pain and discomfort after sleeping on standard mattresses. We had to be out of town for a month in China and we stayed in a JWMarriott hotel. I was pretty worried about the bed. But I slept fine for that month. We also had several other extended stays at the Ritz Carlton in Georgia, Hyatt regency in Huntington Beach.

My husband can’t sleep on our water bed anymore and I’m willing to get a new standard bed but these hotel beds re the only ones I’ve ever been comfortable on.

Our water bed doesn’t wear our really and doesn’t get “bugs”. I have allergies to dust and dust mites so this concerns me also.

After reading so very many of the articles I feel like they go around and around. Is there a better wat for me to get information that would help me in replacing a waterbed that last a life time to a standard bed that will last a lifetime?

Thanks,
AnnMarie

Hi Ann-Marie Thompson.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Without personal testing (of specific mattresses and materials and finding out their specifications) and going through the learning curve of becoming familiar enough with different types of materials and layering and how they work in combination with each other to predict how a certain layering may work for you … you would be much better off simply going with the suggestions of a knowledgeable retailer or manufacturer who is familiar with how the different options they offer fits the “averages” of people who may be similar to you.

Unfortunately there is no shortcut to the process of learning about your needs and preferences especially as you are now considering a very different type of system than what you are used to.
Overall, there is no formula that can predict with any certainty what type of material or layering you may do best with that can possibly be more accurate than your own personal experience.

In your testing and research I would make sure to check the specs of each of the components in a system you are considering. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom/hotel or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Whereas I understand that water beds may do well for some people and may have certain advantages such as providing good pressure relief … overtime it can also lead to back issues and pain for some people if the waterbed they are sleeping on doesn’t keep their spine in good alignment in all their sleeping positions over the course of the night. You can read some more information about waterbeds in this article here

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.
Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

I hope this gives you a good start and helps eliminate some of the confusion you are experiencing.

Phoenix

I have spent hours on this website (tutorial, info pages, forum) and have learned so much. I’m glad I found this site and now feel much better informed when it comes time to purchase our “forever mattress.” (We’re retired and have saved to buy a new bed we hope will be pleasing to both of us for the rest of our life.) My question is if anyone knows mattress stores around the Durham, NC area that will have well informed sales staff and not sell the “big name brands.”

Hi thejude.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I am glad that you have found us and that our site is helping with your research and I hope that your research will pay off and you’ll find a very suitable and pleasing bed. If need be we will certainly do our best to assist you along the way.

We discontinued the provision of listings of potential retailers/manufactures in various geographic regions (unless they are a vetted member here of the site.), because of the difficulty in maintaining such lists in a retail landscape that is constantly changing, and most importantly the confusion it was creating with the consumer members who incorrectly assumed that these businesses had indeed gone through the strict qualification process and were approved as members of The Mattress Underground.

Having said that … I’m not sure if you’ve seen this already but post #6 here includes a list of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Raleigh/Durham area, subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article ) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here. There are some good quality options available to you in the area to either test and become familiar or purchase different types of mattresses but where you end up buying from will depend on which of your options (either local or online) you are most comfortable with and are the best match for the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. I have not recently updated this list so you would need to check on each individual one.

Good luck in your testing and I’m looking forward to your feedback and any questions you may have along the way. I or one of our other experts of the site here will do our best to assist you.

Phoenix