Replicating a Posh and Lavish Prominence

Stats: 5’6", 250lbs, partner is 5’9", 200 lbs

We’d like to build our own and really liked the feel of P&L Prominence. We were told it was Dunlop on the bottom, zoned coils and the store had added a 3" Talalay topper to their floor model. They had no stats on IDLs.

We simply do not have $5k to spend. Plus, now that we have fallen down this mattress rabbit hole (that is bigger than the hole in our old mattress), we’re excited to build our own so that we might be able to swap layers, if needed, as time goes by and our bones and joints grow older.

My initial thought was a firm Dunlop bottom, zoned coils in the middle and then 3" of Talalay (possibly blended) in a “plush” level.

We have left a few messages at one of the DIY merchants the past 2 days to no avail yet. My thought was to get their opinion on it and buy the components from them.

Any suggestions? Also, I might add that I have VERY wide hips and a big ol’ butt. I’m talking the kind that have their own zip code. It’s hard to find pants that fit properly and mattresses that work and the P&L Prominence was heavenly.

Many thanks, in advance!

Hey Mamabear,

Welcome to TMU and thanks for your question :slight_smile: !

[quote]Stats: 5’6", 250lbs, partner is 5’9", 200 lbs

We’d like to build our own and really liked the feel of P&L Prominence. We were told it was Dunlop on the bottom, zoned coils and the store had added a 3" Talalay topper to their floor model. They had no stats on IDLs.[/quote]

Congrats on your DIY building caper, Mamabear! Posh + Lavish’s Prominence model is a latex and pocket coil mattress available in one firmness: medium plush. I visited P+L’s site and do not see Dunlop latex referenced, but if its on the bottom, it serves to stabilize the pocket coil array. It’s a nice touch but you can achieve the same effect using HD polyfoam, a cost-saving measure that many manufacturers use. Go with one of a 1.8 lbs per cu. ft. density for added durability.

Indeed; the DIY building experience is quite the mattress rabbit hole, lol! You may find Phoenix’s articles, "Different Types and Categories of Mattresses"helpful for getting more conversational with DIY component suppliers, as well as “Mattress Specifications You Need to Know”. To your point, a DIY and zippered cover configuration provides great flexibility for swapping and adjusting layers over time. Be sure and consult our site search using the category “DIY mattress” where you will find many conversations, experiments, and points of view on the subject.

That sounds like a reasonable place to start, given your experience testing the Prominence. Here is an ILD reference guidethat can help you with understanding latex firmness measurements.

Seeking their input and guidance is also a good idea. Are you working with a TMU trusted member? If so, feel free to post questions to them here on the forum. We can also help you reach out to them as well. Your patience is appreciated as many of the businesses in the DIY space are smaller, with few people wearing many hats.

Higher BMI individuals do better with firmer comfort and support layers for their heavier weights, as the larger you are, the deeper a cradle is needed to spread your weight over the surface of the mattress to relieve pressure. For example, someone who is an average weight side sleeper may need 3" of comfort layering while someone who is heavier may need 4". Your preferred sleeping positions play a role as well.

You are welcome, Mamabear! Hope this helps some and let us know how things go :wink: .

Sensei

Thank you, Sensei, so very much, for your thoughtful and very informative reply! I will continue my journey deeper into the rabbit hole with the links you suggested. I very much love learning new things and also being an informed customer. Have an excellent day!
–Mamabear

I was going to private message you about the company we were trying to get in contact with because I didn’t want to mention them here in a public forum, but I don’t see where I can send a private message. I’m not upset with them so I didn’t want it to come across like that by mentioning who they are, publicly.

They are a member here, in fact, I found out about them from Mattress Underground. Now that I know that it is likely a case of them being spread a little thin, I will give them some more time to get back with me.

Thanks, again!

If the member you’re trying to reach participates in the Ask an Expert section of TMU, feel free to post your question in their forum which they monitor.
https://mattressunderground.com/talk-to-the-experts/expert-member-section

Hope that helps,

• Bill

Thank you so much, Bill! I appreciate your advice!
–Mamabear