Requesting Feedback on a Combination

May I ask for your advice on what you think about my planned latex combination?

I was thinking firm Dunlop 3" on the bottom, Dunlop 3" medium for the middle, and 3" medium talalay for the top -

Stats:
200 to 210 pounds; however, I would like to get down to 180 pounds sometime next year.
6’0 ft
60/40 back/side sleeper
Full sized mattress

In your experience, what have people in my weight/height category gravitated towards?

Context:
Hoping to avoid sagging (currently have a memory foam that sags), and don’t necessarily like the stuck feeling or being “in” the mattress. I have never tried a latex mattress before but I imagine I would like the “on top” of the mattress feeling; however, I am concerned that side sleeping might hurt if the medium talalay is too firm…

Any advice would be appreciated and thank you

The Dunlop core is very firm. Not sure what the middle ILD would be to make it comfortable for a side sleeper. The Talalay on top will need to be much thicker than 3" At 200 lbs you will go right through the talalay and into the firm dunlop core.

You didn’t say anything about your body type so if you are more curvy at your BMI I’d stay away from dunlop due to it’s lack of conformity (talaly works better in that regard).

I’d suggest something like this to start:
Comfort layer - 2" or 3" Talalay 22ILD (you could use 3" Talalay 28ILD if you prefer a firm feel)
Support layer - 3" Talalay 32ILD
Support layer - 3" Talalay 36ILD
Support layer - 3" Talalay 44ILD (optional if you need more conforming due to your body build)

Hello CuriousCat and thanks for the inquiry, and thanks to everyone else for your input! I’m always glad to see other members give their input! My two cents is that 3" of medium Talalay over 3" of medium Dunlop over 3" of firm Dunlop is what we would recommend based on your height, weight, and sleeping preferences. Whether this combination or one of the other recommendations turns out to be your perfect setup is not a question I can answer in advance. However, please keep in mind that our initial recommendations have a 90% success rate (we only have a 10% layer exchange rate and a 3%-4% return rate) so there’s a 90% chance that the above recommendation works perfectly for you. Nonetheless, that’s not a guarantee by any means, so just do the best you can to pick a configuration that you think would be best, and please let us know if you have any comfort issues because we can use your feedback to figure out what changes need to be made to get the mattress dialed in for your specific needs and preferences.

Hi CuriousCat,

I’m 5’9" a little under 200 lbs myself and also hope to get back down to the 180 lbs range next year. :slight_smile: I ordered my talalay through LMF about a month ago. My sleeping style is a bit different from yours however, I sleep probably 90%+ on my side and only 10% or less on my back. I’ve been trying the 3" medium talalay for the comfort layer the past week instead of 3" soft talalay. I was worried it might be too firm as well and cause too much pressure being a side sleeper. While it is firmer, I have not had any pain or pressure issues from it so far. Of course it could be very different for you. It just sounds like based on your preferences, you would probably be safer with medium talalay on top as opposed to going with soft where your going to sink in more. If you do end up lossing a lot of weight next year and you find the medium talalay on top ends up being too firm for you, you could always add like a 2" soft talalay topper to soften it up more.

Thank you bb10773261, Mattrebuild and Latex Mattress Factory for the replies and information, that really helped -

Latex Mattress Factory - Would your recommendation change any if I did lose weight to 180 pounds? That is my goal over the next 6 months to lose a little weight, so maybe I should just assume that weight when figuring the combination out!

Hi PK, that is great information! It is difficult for me sometimes to read reviews because the weight isn’t similar to mine or weight isn’t mentioned.

Definitely makes me feel better about a medium on the top, especially since as a side sleeper predominantly, you would find out really quickly if it was an issue.
Then it is settled, medium for the top!

If you drop down to 180 pounds, we would recommend soft for the top layer. A good middle ground in the meantime might be to arrange the layers as soft/firm/medium.

Hi CuriousCat,

Even with similar body weight there is still no guarantee that two people will have the same experience. Everyones body types, preferences, and needs are so different - so what works good for one person may not for another - even if their weight and/or height were very close to each other. Plus being shorter than you my BMI would be higher than yours. So it’s really hard to say for certain how you would like the medium talalay on top. I do know if you lose a bunch of weight you’ll want to have soft talalay on top though, medium will most likely be too hard for you then.

With that said, just to clarify I’ve been using the medium talalay on top the past week because I was sinking in too much in my pelvis area with 3" soft talalay on top and wasn’t getting enough support from the 3" medium talalay beneath it, so I was getting some lower back pain. The setup I have now seems to be working pretty good for my needs in terms of pressure relief and support.

It sounds like LMF came up with a good possible solution for your situation. Best thing you can do is listen to their advice if you’re going through them. :slight_smile: They have a lot of experience and knowledge doing this for so many years and seeing what has worked and what hasn’t worked the best for a very wide range of people. If for some reason you do need to make an adjustment at all you can always first try rearranging the layers in your mattress and if that doesn’t work theres always LMF 30 day layer exchange for $45 so you have that option available also if needed to try something else.

I wish you the best on this journey! Let us know what you eventually decide to go with. I would really love to hear what your experience is like with your first latex mattress.