Requesting mattress help in south florida

Hi beth819,

FWIW … most people would feel little if any difference between 3" of 19 and 22 ILD latex in a side by side test. While they may be slightly different in terms of longer term pressure relief, the difference in how they felt would be very difficult to detect in a 3" layer.

This is what I mean by specs getting you confused. the specs of the nature’s rest and the SleepEz are almost the same in functional terms.

If an online mattress or outlet offers features or benefits that is important to you that isn’t offered locally … then I would certainly consider it. If they were the same in terms of features and benefits and the price difference was small … then I would go locally. Whether the zoning was “worth it” would be up to you to say. I can tell you that it is more customized than a single layer mattress and would “fit” you better (because it can be softer where you need it and firmer where you need it rather than all the same and this could make a real difference for those who aren’t happy with how well a single layer mattress works for them) but whether this would be worth it to any person would depend on how good or suitable their other options were and whether they believed the custom fitting was worth the extra price. In other words … this can only be answered by each person themselves and it would be like some people choosing a custom made outfit or shoes while others would never consider it because the outfit or shoes “off the shelf” are just fine. Everyone has different ways of measuring “value”, and different “tradeoffs” that are important to them.

My goal is to give you better options and an explanation of the differences between them … it’s always up to you though to decide which of the options you think would be best for you. what’s “worth it” to one may or may not be to another.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Ok, thanks. Honestly, I think anything that I get is going to be much better than what I have now, so maybe I’ll just go with sleepez then.

Oh, there really is little difference in 3"of 19 and 3" 22? The guy at biscayne said he doesn’t sell the 3"19, 2"24, 6"36, nature’s rest because it’s like a “marshmallow” and it’s “mush” and he won’t sell it anymore because it’s too soft. That’s why I asked him to test a 2"19 because he won’t even sell a 3" that soft. Do you see why I get so confused by these specs? Lol. A few people say its too soft, then other people say it’s fine, etc. That’s the main reason I am so hesistant to buy from him without any kind of return or exchange policy.

Anyway, pretty sure sleepez is the winner here lol.

Hi beth819,

The reason a mattress like this would be “mush” to many people (and many would love it and as a matter of fact it’s the same layering as the PLB “Beautiful”) is because there is 5" of soft latex on the top. While this would still be OK for some people because latex gets firmer faster than other types of foam …for most people the problem with this layering would be that the “soft” latex (anything 24 or less would be considered soft) is too thick. Thickness and softness work together in a mattress.

If you changed the 24 ILD to 28 or 32 it would be a different story. While most people could tell a fairly small difference between 3" of 19 and 3" of 24 … the difference between 19 and 22 in a 3 inch layer would be below detection for most people in a side by side test. Even the natural variation of talalay latex is more than that. They measure each core in 9 places for ILD and average them out and the difference between the firmest and the softest part of the same layer is usually at least 3 ILD and nobody complains about talalay latex feeling “lumpy” or “inconsistent”. Dunlop latex has an even wider range in each layer and for most people this is just fine and not noticeable.

So he is mistaking layering with the softness of a single layer and forgetting that how a mattress interacts with each person is just as important as the firmness/softness of any layer. One person’s “way too soft” is another person’s “way too firm”.

I do understand how easy it is to get confused which is why I was suggesting that once you know the specs of a mattress you lay on and felt good (or at least OK) that you forget about the specs or theory and leave that and any adjustments to the people who know how different spec changes can affect a mattress (or at least the ones who are more knowledgeable and don’t use generalizations that are inaccurate).

Quite frankly … I would also hesitate to make a purchase from a local manufacturer who wasn’t willing to do an adjustment when necessary for a reasonable charge. Everyone can make mistakes or “feel” something in the short term that changes in the longer term … and with no recourse … a mistake would be very costly. I personally think that is a poor business choice and is not the “norm” for a local manufacturer.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking too. With all the other manufacturers I went to, even though I didn’t like what I tested they had some sort of exchange or return policy. So it was unsettling to me that I went down there twice, the second time he didn’t even have what I wanted and still didn’t offer anything, not even a one-time exchange. I was going to go back next week to lay on the mattress one more time, but at this point I feel like he’s the one at a loss because he’d really rather lose a customer/sale over not offering some type of guarantee? I think it’s a poor business choice too and it says to me that it doesn’t really matter to him to have my business or not. Customer service is a big thing with me, if it’s not there I’ll walk out or won’t do business with someone that doesn’t deserve my business. So maybe not buying from him is a blessing in disguise after all.

Hi Phoenix,

Before purchasing, I decided to a do forum search for any sleepez reviews. While I see quite a few layer exchanges where people had a bed that was too firm or soft, I noticed that the majority originally got one with a 2" comfort layer which just reinforces that I guess I should get a 3". I know my experience is going to be different and separate though.The only fear is that my hips will sink down too far, but I guess it’s easier to start with a 3" and then go down to a 2", etc.

Anyway, through reading I realized I didn’t ask about two things, the foundation and the type of talalay. Sean didn’t necessarily recommend a foundation, just said that I would need one since I’m upgrading to a queen and that he has a standard foundation to go with the mattress. Any thoughts on their foundation? I guess I’m also going to need a new frame which he said he doesn’t sell so I’m going to have to buy that locally. Is it ok to just buy a regular frame? Also, I measured my bed now with everything on it and it comes to 24-25"(sheets,pad,mattress,box spring,frame), is my new mattress going to be the same height with everything together?

With the talalay, I thought this whole time I was testing 100% talalay, but now I have no clue if it was that or blended. Do I need to call the local manufacturers to see what I tested and then get that from sleepez? Or is one more commonly used than the other?

Oh yeah, and the cover. At the local places I was testing organic cotton covers. I’m not even sure what sleepez has. Do you recommend any?

I think I had a couple more questions like this but I’m tired and can’t think of it right now lol. Thanks.

Hi beth819,

I normally use the foundation that the manufacturer recommends or sells that would be suitable for a latex mattress. SleepEz sells what’s called a KD foundation which means that it’s shipped in a box UPS and then you put it together. It’s very simple. They are mostly good quality but I have heard a few stories that a lower quality one slips through from the manufacturer in which case of course it would be replaced. They are good value and much less than most slatted wood foundations.

If you want to research foundations more with an eye to possibly saving a little money in exchange for some research time … then Post #13 here and post #4 here (and other posts it links to) have lots more information.

Based on the ILD’s that they were using … the mattresses you were testing were blended talalay which is by far the most common type of talalay sold. Most people couldn’t tell the difference between this and the more expensive 100% natural Talalay. More information about the differences is here and in post #2 here … but unless you have a specific reason for going with the 100% natural … I would choose the blend.

If you decide on a 3" top layer … then make sure that you check to find out about the possibility of a layer exchange to a 2" layer because layer exchanges normally are only between ILD’s in the same thickness. It may also need a different cover if you change the thickness.

I would talk with SleepEz about their different covers because they would certainly know more about them than I would but I do know they carry 3 different covers. Two of them are quilted with wool and one isn’t. I believe that both of the quilted covers use organic cotton but they use different types of wool but I would check with them to confirm this because they may have made some changes since their website descriptions.

The final height of your mattress would be the height of the mattress (10") plus the height of the foundation (the KD is 8") plus the height of the frame which would put it close to what you have now. If you go with a wire grid frame/foundation combination (some of the links in the posts I referred to) … it is 14" and your mattress is 10 which would give you a total of 24".

It seems you’re getting close :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I’m trying to get there! Lol. I will call sleepez to ask about the covers and make sure they can do a 2" layer exchange. I’m not sure what I’m going to do if they can’t.

The foundation on their website is a 9" foundation, not sure if it’s the same one you’re talking about:

Are these typical box springs? I think it looks different than what I have now. It doesn’t even look comfortable or like it’s durable?

I remembered my other question. Is there a real difference between these DIY mattresses and getting one that’s already put together with everything sown in? Picturing it in my head, I’m imagining it to be like sleeping on loose layers of foam with a flimsy cover, etc. Basically like a cheaply made bed which I get this is how they cut costs by having you do it yourself, but the more I think about what I have to do, the whole thing just seems like a huge pain in the you know what, especially for a girl. Oh and I live in a townhouse too. So now I understand why you’d have to pay more for someone else to do it and it be shipped all put together. If my decision was based on convience factor alone, I’d go buy the nature’s rest lol.

hi beth 819,

You’re right. There are several similar versions (many of which are in the posts I referenced). Add an inch to my previous height calculations.

No … box Springs have springs in them and are designed for use with innerspring mattresses. foundations have a non flex base and are meant for use with latex and memory foam mattresses which shouldn’t have a base that flexes and needs to be strong and rigid. I don’t think a high quality manufacturer would be selling them if they didn’t believe they were suitable for use with their mattresses.

Yes … there is areal difference. There are also advantages and disadvantages to buying online compared to buying locally. See more here.

I think your imagination is running overtime and that most people would very much disagree with this on all counts. I invited them to be a member of this site because like the other manufacturers that are members here … they use high quality materials and have some of the best value mattresses in North America. IMO there is a difference between “cheap” and “good value”. There are advantages and disadvantages to every “style” but they are not “flimsy” or “cheaply made” (cotton/wool quilted covers are much more expensive than other cheaper materials and latex is also one of the most expensive mattress materials as you have already seen locally).

If they were shipping you a “finished” mattress … you would be adding several hundred dollars shipping to your costs because they would need to be shipped by truck instead of courier. You also wouldn’t have the chance for any layer exchanges and adjustments if you made a mistake and would have to spend several hundred dollars to ship the whole thing back. It’s done this way so that people that don’t have this kind of quality and value available locally have a way to buy a very high quality and value mattress that would not be available to them at a reasonable cost otherwise and to give people a way to correct any “mistakes” with an online purchase that they haven’t tried, also at a very reasonable cost.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I didn’t mean that their materials are cheap or not high quality, I just meant that in my head I’m thinking putting the finished product together myself will “look” cheap because I have no clue what I’m doing as opposed to getting one put together already, even though that’s probably not the case. Now I have a better understanding of why a finished product is more expensive with the shipping costs and everything. It just seems like I wouldn’t be able to recreate the look of a finished bed in a showroom because it’s hard to picture everything put together until I actually do it. That’s all I meant by it. But I am going to have to think a little more about if I can do it all myself since I am not that strong, have a back problem, and have stairs.

About the covers though, is a cover with wool in it going to sleep hot or is it the opposite? Is it going to change the feel/benefit of the latex or is that more about a mattress pad? I have a standard cotton mattress pad now, so I was planning on just buying the same one but in a queen size from BBB, unless I need something different since it’s latex? Thanks again.

Hi beth819,

Once the mattress is zipped up … they look like a “regular” mattress and not “cheap” at all. The ticking/quilting fits tightly around the latex and most of the look of a mattress comes from the cover which in this case is much higher quality than most of the"mainstream" mattresses. They are also functional with none of the polyfoam (or synthetic fiber) that is used in so many mattress quilting layers which softens and breaks down.

Putting them together is also not difficult at all for two people and can actually be kind of fun. You do need to be a little careful not to pull and tug at the latex to align it (wave it into place instead) but it’s also kind of fun to put your mattress together and know exactly what you are sleeping on. The layers also come compressed in separate boxes so you aren’t carrying a whole mattress up stairs. I think Shawn may have a video that he could send you but if not here is a video from mattresss.net showing him putting together a DIY mattress.

Wool is a great natural fiber that is great for temperature regulation. It is especially helpful for those who sleep hot because it is so breathable and wicks moisture away and holds it in the core of the fiber and gradually releases it. this is also one of the reasons it is so popular as a mattress protector because it will help to “cool down” a mattress (like memory foam) that sleeps too hot.

Some of the pros and cons of different types of quilting are here and of different types of ticking are here.

A recent post that includes information about some of the pros and cons and “tradeoffs” of different types of mattress protectors is post #2 here. A “title search” (choosing the option to search forum titles only) on “Protect” or “cover” will bring up lots more information.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix!

It’s been a while, but I haven’t purchased a new mattress yet so that’s why I didn’t post a follow-up :ohmy: Financially some unexpected things came up, so I am holding off for a few more months until those things are taken care of. Anyway, of course my old mattress with the topper just keeps getting worse, and now a new part of my back is hurting (the middle, upper part), along with my usual disc problem. Wanted to see if there’s a different topper that I can try for now until I can get a new bed. Was going to to go bed bath and beyond and try those, even though I’ve done that a million times already, but I need immediate relief at this point. I also saw this latex topper at walmart, that I thought I saw mentioned here before, but I can’t seem to find it through a search. Are there any memory foam or latex toppers that you recommend that can be returned? Preferably at a store so I don’t have to wait for shipping, but as long as it’s returnable it’s ok. Thanks for your help.

This is the one I saw on Walmart’s site:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Classic-Brands-2-Latex-Foam-Mattress-Topper/15078043?srccode=cii_5784816&cpncode=27-127154211-2&adid=1500000000000029469730&veh=cse

These are two at bed bath that I haven’t tried yet and was thinking of getting for now maybe:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=126606&RN=690&

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=121630&RN=690&

Hi beth819,

If you are looking for memory foam or latex that can be returned without risk then WalMart, Costco, and Sams Club are among the best choices.

The Classic Brands is a firm dunlop latex topper so you want to try something firm, this would be a good option to try. A firmer topper won’t generally work well though if it is on top of a mattress that is too soft (I’m not sure what mattress you currently have) because the topper will generally just “bend” into the contours of the softer foam below it which may still cause alignment issues.

Bed Bath and Beyond has the risk of paying for the shipping if you order online (which is fairly nominal for a topper) but I believe they give a full refund at their stores.

The Duralife contains Omalon along with a fairly thick layer of some polyester fiber. They don’t say the firmness level however it is likely quite soft and also thick. The fiber will tend to compress over time but the Omalon is a high quality polyfoam. How suitable this would be depends on the mattress it is going on but if you already have a few inches of soft foam on top of your mattresss then this would be fairly thick and may carry the risk of letting your heavier parts sink in too deeply (which isn’t great for a bulging disc). This would be more of a “fast response” than memory foam and softer than the latex.

The Therapedic topper doesn’t say the type or density of the memory foam they use but it is also fairly thick (3") and so may have a similar risk depending on the mattress that it is being used on. It would be a slow recovery memory foam feel instead of the faster response of the other two choices.

In general a topper works best if it is “just enough” for your needs in combination with the comfort and quilting layers that are in your mattress. Toppers that are too thick and soft can carry the risk of alignment problems.

The Aerus 5 lb 2.5 inch topper at Sams Club can make a good memory foam choice (Aerus is very breathable) with a low risk if you are looking for memory foam. They also carry an Aerus 4 lb topper with the same thickness which would be a bit softer feeling.

Another good option that was discovered by Coventry who is one of our members, may be the Seven Comforts topper sold on Amazon here. It has great value and you can read her review in this thread.

Edit: see post #52 here first if you are considering ordering this topper.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix,

The mattress I have now is just a standard Sealy posterpedic I think, and I guess it’s too firm which is why I got a topper a long time ago. Either that or I just need a new bed and the topper masked it for the time being. Anyway, I didn’t realize the walmart topper was dunlop. I’d like to try a latex topper, but if that’s the only one out there (?) then yeah that would probably be too firm for me. So that leaves the memory foam options. Do you think the Sam’s club one is better quality than the therapedic one? I’ll try whichever one, but the only thing is I don’t have a Sam’s club card. I guess I sign up for a trial one, but do you know if you even need a card to buy something online? Thanks.

Hi Beth819,

There are some other choices for latex toppers in both Talalay and Dunlop in the full range of firmness levels but of course with an online purchase from the “usual” sources they are usually not returnable.

Some of the manufacturers near you would probably also sell them if you want to test them first but you would need to check on their return policies as well because toppers are usually not returnable.

I also added a link in my last post to the Seven Comforts topper on Amazon that Coventry found and to her review and this may be a good option as well even though it’s an online purchase. At least they have a return policy and it sounds like a very good product and is a great value.

I don’t know the quality of the Therapedic topper because they don’t list the density of the memory foam. It would be a bit like comparing apples to oranges though because they are completely different materials as well although latex would generally be a higher quality/durability material than memory foam. If I was in your shoes and probably only going to use the topper for a limited period of time, then the suitability of the topper would probably be more important to me than the durability/quality anyway. A high quality product that may cause you pain or discomfort or not be what you are looking for wouldn’t be worth it regardless of the quality or value.

You can buy online from Sam’s Club without being a member but you will be charged an extra 10% on the item you are buying.

Phoenix

Ok, thanks. I just bought the therapedic one for today since it’s the only one I could buy in store right now. Although now I have to wait for it to expand lol.

The amazon link in your post is bringing up mattress pads and pillows, is the mattress pad the same thing as the topper? Also, the second link isn’t the review, it’s coming up as the same amazon link.

Hi beth819,

Oops :slight_smile:

I fixed the review link and yes the mattress pad is the topper I was talking about.

I hope you have a chance to let us know how the topper you bought works for you.

Phoenix

Hey Beth,

Here’s the review I did for this forum:https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/review-of-the-seven-comforts-latex-topper

Here’s the direct link to the Seven Comforts topper on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Seven-Comforts-Premium-Latex-Mattress/dp/B004JO11NI/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1340140739&sr=1-2&keywords=seven+comforts+premium+latex

I think people sometimes use the words ‘mattress topper’ and ‘mattress pad’ interchangeably but I don’t know if there’s an official correct definition for either. Phoenix would know more than I on this.

I’ve had my Seven Comforts topper or pad for a little over a week now and my husband and I LOVE it. It fluffed up to over 2 inches thick, there are no empty spots since it’s nicely baffled, and it’s a screaming deal at the Amazon price.

It’s a very soft topper similar to my old feather/down topper but it bounces back to it’s original shape much better after a few nights laying on it. I’ve had it for a week and it fluffs back with just a little shake and I turned it around on my mattress so it would wear evenly.

One reason I purchased it was for more protection for our mattress and for a soft comfort layer for my husband (he’s got like gorilla shoulders) who sleeps on his side often. We both love the feel and the supportive softness it provides. This topper isn’t a support layer but it’s a nice hugging feeling on your sides and legs (laying on your side) without the ‘quicksand’ feel of memory foam.

I can’t comment on their return policy because I’m most likely going to purchase another or 3 for gifts. One thing that should be noted is that it has a strong latex smell. This smell did not bother me or my husband, I found it rather nice actually, but it might bother those with sensitivities to smells.

Edit: see post #52 here first if you are considering ordering this topper.

-Hope this helps!

Thanks for the responses guys! Unfortuantely, that doesn’t come in a full :frowning: Now I really don’t know what to do because I bought the therapedic one and I left it on my bed to expand. When I went back up later, it still didn’t expand much and I noticed there was a bug on it! It looked like a spider, but I’m not sure. I immediately took it off and put it back in the box because I’m returning it. Then, I went to put my old topper on, and saw a tiny crawling bug on that one too! I’m not sure if it was a bed bug or not, but I threw it out in my garage garbage anyway. So now I’m sleeping in my downstairs office because 1) I’m scared that I have bed bugs and 2) I have no topper to put on my bed and my back is going to be in even more pain if I sleep on my bed without a topper.

So, assuming that I don’t have bed bugs I have no idea what to do next. Now I’m scared to buy another memory foam topper from a store because I am worried about bugs. I see that sleepez has a latex topper, and it doesn’t say that it can’t be returned, only pillows and pads, unless it’s considered a pad? Are there any manufacturers on your list that sell toppers that are returnable? If not, do you have any other suggestions? Thanks!

Hi beth819,

Hopefully you don’t have bedbugs but the odds are pretty good that what you saw was something else. Bedbugs are mostly nocturnal and don’t tend to appear in the open (they hide in crevices, seams, and other hiding places). They also look more like a beetle than a spider.

I also wouldn’t worry about buying a new topper having bedbugs (or any bugs for that matter). That would be very unusual unless it was bought from a dealer that was re-covering old materials and I doubt that any of the places you are looking at would be doing that.

Mattress toppers are considered to be personal items and are usually non refundable and to my knowledge the manufacturers on the list are like this as well (although I haven’t checked each one for the return policy on toppers). The big box stores though generally allow for returns without charge and Amazon also allows for returns for products that are either sold by them or fulfilled by them although there is a return shipping charge. For the Amazon products sold directly by the merchant … the return policy varies with the seller. Some other online or local outlets (such as Bed Bath and Beyond) may also allow for returns but each one has their own individual return policy which they usually list on the site.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix,

You put my mind at ease about the bed bugs! While looking at the toppers on amazon, I saw this sponsored link and wanted to know if you ever heard of this store?

http://www.floridaorganicmattress.com/

There’s two locations here so I was thinking of stopping by