Requesting mattress help in south florida

Hello, I stumbled across this site in looking for a review for the Serta iComfort Prodigy. I then read all the articles about mattress and I now realize purchasing that mattress isn’t a good idea. I originally wanted a mattress with memory foam and latex as I have a bulging disc in my lower back. From what I’ve read on here, it seems like a bed with a latex core/support layers would be the best quality, but I’m confused about the comfort layers. I’m 5’7 and 135 pds, and a side/back sleeper, so I guess I’d want an average and softer comfort layers? I’ve tried all latex beds before and they are too “firm” for me, so I guess I would need a comfort layer that has memory foam and latex? But is memory foam even recommended?

I also read that it’s better to buy from local manufacters, and I live in fort lauderdale so I was hoping someone could recommend any.

Sorry for all the questions, I’m just confused lol, but I’m very happy I found this site!

Thanks so much,
Beth

Hi beth819,

At your weight and height … I’d guess you’d be most comfortable with a comfort layer on the softer end of the typical 19 - 24 range. With your side and back sleeping and lighter weight … it’s likely that somewhere in the range of 2-3" would work well. This could be over an innerspring, polyfoam, or latex support core (with either one or multiple layers) depending on your budget or your preferred feel … as long as the pressure relief and alignment is good.

Latex also comes in a very wide range of firmness levels so it could be that the latex you tried would have been soft for someone else that was heavier but was too firm for you because lighter weights generally need softer foam. Of course … adding a little bit of memory foam either on top or under a thinner layer of latex can also be a very good choice which many people like a lot. Good quality memory foam is fine for those who like the feel (it’s very different from latex) and who are also OK with the way it reacts (it’s a warmer foam although some of the newer ones are cooler than they used to be and it also is more movement restricting than the more elastic and 'springy" latex).

Your own personal testing is the best way to know for certain so these are just some guidelines to give you a general idea of where to start.

Post #2 here includes some of the local manufacturers that are near the Ft Lauderdale area. The easiest way to get started and narrow down the list a bit is from home by calling some of them and letting them know a bit about your height and weight and your overall preferences and mattresses you have liked or are considering so they can make some suggestions about which mattresses they carry that would be worth including in your research. I would then pay a visit to the ones that sounded most promising and helpful. Most local manufacturers are very open and helpful on the phone and this can save you a lot of traveling time and help you know what to expect when you visit them.

You have some very good choices around you whether you end up with a latex, memory foam, or a combination with other materials. In most cases half the battle is finding the better outlets that are knowledgeable and open and committed to helping you make your best choices (which is one of the reasons I like local manufacturers). As long as you pay attention to what I call PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Preferences) … then there are many combinations which could work well for you for pressure relief and posture and the difference between them would boil down to which one had the best value and included the preferences and “feel” that were most important to you.

If anything … your biggest challenge may be choosing between some really good choices … all of which would likely be much better in terms of quality and value than most of the major brands (like the iComfort) and the mass market stores that tend to carry them.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix!

I will contact those stores tomorrow and see what they say, but I’m still somewhat confused. Starting with the support core, I thought I read that the innerspring and polyfoam are inferior to latex? I’m not too concerned with the price, as I was just about to buy the icomfort for $2300, and from the article it says there’s no need to go higher than the $1600-$2000 range? If that’s the case then that price range is fine, especially since I wanted to get a full but now I’m thinking I might want a queen. So, putting price aside for the moment, is a latex core the best option? And would that be with one layer or is it better to have multiple layers in the support core?

And for the comfort layer, would a layer of memory foam over a layer of latex be good for me? I do tend to sleep a bit hot, but I’m not really sure I prefer a springier feel or less movement, as I’ve tested both and as long as the pressure relief was there I didn’t really care. I liked the icomfort because it had the feel of memory foam but I didn’t sink in a lot or feel like I couldn’t get out of it, and it felt supportive at the same time. But, I also don’t mind the feel of sinking in a little more or the feel of a regular mattress as long as the pressure relief is there.

So I’m not sure what to get or what to tell the manufacturers that I’m looking for in comfort layers or the core. Also, when I do call/go in, what type of material (latex,memory foam, if that’s what you recommend) am I looking for? I think I read that the talalay is best for the core? Is that the best for a comfort layer too? And what about the memory foam?

Again, I’m sorry for so many questions, but when I go in I want to know exactly what I’m looking for or at least have it narrowed down.

Thanks again!

Hi beth819,

You’re right that latex is the highest quality material and is well worth the higher price IMO (which will depend on the size of the mattress and it’s thickness and ticking etc) so a high quality polyfoam support core (like the icomfort or tempurpedics have) would be more to reduce the price from an all latex mattress but keep the benefits of latex on top. There are also some people who prefer the more bouncy feel of an innerspring so they may choose a good quality pocket coil or offset coil with latex in the comfort layers and this would be a good (and lower cost) choice as well. Nothing “fits” everyone so each person’s choices would depend on their budget and the “pieces” of their “value equation” and preferences that are most important for them. I personally would choose a latex support core (which I have in my own mattress) but each person may have different preferences. With memory foam … a polyfoam support core is by far the most common you will see.

Latex cores can have one or several layers depending on what the design is trying to achieve. Multiple layers can use softer over firmer support layers which means it can contribute a little more to the comfort of the mattress while the deeper firmer layers can add to the firmness or “deep support” with deeper compression. There is no best or worse here because regardless of whether the latex core is a single layer or multiple layers … if it keeps you in alignment in all your sleeping positions then it’s exactly what you need. They are just design differences between different mattresses to accommodate different types of people. Dunlop is often seen in a single layer support core because it gets firmer faster than Talalay so several layers are less necessary for some people but this is only what is often seen … not something that is “better”. The key is that the support system keeps your body in alignment and there are different pathways to that end which work well for different people. Your own testing (with the help of someone who knows mattresses and how different people interact with them) is the best way to know if a particular support core in combination with the comfort layers works well for you.

This would really be up to your own preferences as well because they both feel very different from each other even though they may be equally pressure relieving. My own preference for example is an all latex comfort layer but I also really like the feel of an inch of latex or so over a couple of inches of memory foam over latex underneath as this has a feel and response that is in between latex and memory foam. As long as a comfort layer provides good pressure relief … then the different feels of the materials that do so are a matter of personal preference. While high quality memory foam is a long lasting material … it is not as long lasting as latex so for some this may also be a consideration.

The Prodigy for example has four different types of foam in the comfort layers including two different types of memory foam, slow recovery latex, and some polyfoam which is why it doesn’t feel like pure memory foam although it’s still too thick IMO for most people. The danger with it is that it feels great in a showroom but with the comfort layers so soft and thick there is a risk that many people may end up out of alignment in the morning as your heavier parts sink in too far over the course of the night.

I would tell them that you have tried the Prodigy and that you are attracted to either memory foam, latex, or a combination of the two. I’d also tell them that you’d like to try an all latex mattress with soft latex on top (because you didn’t like firm latex as much). I’d also tell them your height and weight and then just see what they recommend. Your main goal is to make sure that they carry a few latex and/or memory foam options that they think would be suitable for your height, weight, and sleeping positions. They will usually be happy to tell you their thoughts on each and you may find a diversity of opinions on each material. Testing to compare materials is really the best way to know how you like each one though because both can provide great pressure relief.

There is also no “better or worse” in terms of which type of latex you use. 100% natural Dunlop is a great choice but has a different feel from either blended or 100% natural Talalay which are also great choices. Dunlop has a less lively feeling in either the support core or the comfort layer while talalay is more springy but if a particular manufacturer has both available, then your own testing will do more to show you the difference than my words. Talalay can also be made softer than Dunlop and it would probably be fair to say that most people of your height and weight would prefer softer Talalay in the comfort layer than a firmer feeling Dunlop. In the support layers it would be strictly by which feels best for you (both can provide good alignment in a suitable firmness for you) if you are choosing between the two.

One of the benefits of a local manufacturer is that they can help “explain” why you are feeling what you are feeling when you lie on a mattress and this personal experience will do much more to help you know the differences than a description that can’t be “felt”. 100% natural dunlop, blended Talalay and 100% natural Talalay are all excellent choices and while they are different (which means you can choose between different latex “feels” if both are available), one is not “better” than another.

Phoenix

Wow, thanks so much that really helps clear up a lot of my questions. Just out of curiosity, you personally have an all latex core with an all latex comfort layer? And when you said you also like the feel of an inch of latex over a couple of inches of memory foam, over latex underneath- is that all in the comfort layer, or is the “latex underneath” part the support core? Just wanted an idea of what someone’s preference is. I will definitely test out an all latex bed again at one of the local stores since I now know that there are different types of firmness with latex.

Regarding the height of a mattress, I was told the standard height is 10.5? Is there a certain height that a mattress should be, if I were to get either an all latex mattress or latex core combined with different comfort layers? I don’t know if the lower the height= the faster the give or if that doesn’t even matter.

Last question, I didn’t ask about the quilting or ticking. Are there certain types that you recommend or that I should stay away from? Or should I just ask the manufacturer about that? I’m asking you all these questions first because I’m so used to being scammed by salespeople at the brand name stores, so of course my first instinct are that the local manufacturers will try to sell me whatever, and not necessarily the best quality ,etc. I’m sure that’s not the case though.

Would it be ok to post on here what I tested and what the manufacturer recommends to get your opinion before purchasing it? You really should be a personal mattress consultant, people would pay good money to have you go mattress shopping with them! Just an idea :wink:

Thanks again!

Hi beth819,

An example of a combo latex/memory foam mattress layering that I liked is the NXG 575 here which has 3/4" of latex in the quilting over 2" of memory foam and then latex under this with an innerspring underneath all of this. The overall thickness and softness of the mattress wouldn’t have provided the best support for me and I certainly wouldn’t have considered actually buying this mattress but I sure did like the feel of the comfort layers :slight_smile:

“Comfort layers” and “support layers” are really an “approximation” because there is no set place in a mattress that clearly defines or “separates” the part of the mattress that provides pressure relief from the lower parts that provide most of the support because they all interact together and different weights and sleeping positions means that a heavier person that sinks in further will use more of the upper layers for their pressure relief than a lighter person who will “come to rest” in a shallower cradle. In other words … what for a heavier person may be part of their comfort layer may be part of a transition or even support layer for a lighter person who doesn’t sink down as far into a mattress. All the layers interact together but in general the layers or parts of a mattress that are closer to the top affect pressure relief more and the layers that are deeper in the mattress are more responsible for support.

There is really no “standard” mattress height and the thickness of a mattress really depends on the materials that are used, the design of the mattress, and the needs of the person using it. Heavier people may do better with slightly thicker mattresses to prevent “bottoming out” and to allow greater adaptability to different sleeping positions. In general … mattresses today are far thicker than they really need to be … especially those that use multiple layers of lower density soft polyfoam in pillowtop or eurotop constructions and then sell at prices that cater to a false belief that thicker is better.

A typical height for an all latex mattress would be in the range of 8-9" and for those that are heavier or for specific design goals an extra few inches can be valuable as well. More than this is usually overkill. How fast a mattress “gives” has to do with the type of foam used (polyfoam and latex are “instant reacting” while memory foam is slower reacting) than with the thickness of the mattress. With lighter weights … even a 6" layer of a high quality material like latex can work very well for some people.

Like mattress materials and thicknesses … there is no better or worse … only what fits the person’s needs and preferences and how it interacts with the other layers of the mattress. I personally prefer more natural materials because they tend to perform better and are cooler and more breathable but there are also some newer materials that perform very well and have specific purposes that are good choices in some circumstances (like certain mattress materials that tend to help draw heat from the body for those who need it). Some types of ticking are more stretchy than others (such as a knit material vs a woven material), and different types of quilting patterns and construction methods can also change the properties of a mattress (make it softer or firmer). In general though … I think that with materials like softer latex or memory foam in the comfort layers … a ticking that is more stretchy (knitted) and better conforms with the foam underneath it is a better choice.

If you do your shopping at a local factory direct manufacturer rather than a mass market outlet … you will get much better information that is more accurate and helpful. They depend more on their reputation than misleading advertising and because they are local … they are far more accountable for what they say. This is one of the biggest reasons for only shopping with people who are far more knowledgeable than a “typical” salesperson who only knows what the outlet they work for has taught them and tends to know little about the actual materials in a mattress.

Of course … but to give a real opinion I would need to know the actual specs of the mattress. Also bear in mind that the recommendations of a manufacturer who can actually see you lying on a mattress and can give opinions in real time will always be much more accurate than any “theory at a distance” from someone who can’t actually see you lying on a mattress. They would have a much more accurate sense of how your feedback relates to what they can see.

Phoenix

Ok, thanks. I made an appointment for tomorrow afternoon, so I will post the specs after that. I tested the NXG series too and I liked the NXG 600, but I thought if it’s that expensive it probably shouldnt have coils, so I steered away from it.

I’m still curious as to what you don’t like about the iComfort Prodigy. Is it low quality middle layers, or just low quality materials overall? I’m sure the price doesn’t help either.

Thanks again, looking forward to start the process tomorrow :slight_smile:

Hi beth819,

The NXG 600 is a similar idea to the 575 except the combinations on top are a little different (latex in between memory foam instead of memory foam in between latex). I agree with you though that I would never consider purchasing of any of these because the value is poor compared to many other better options.

Post #11 here includes my thoughts on all of the iComfort lineup. In essence … considering the materials and the price … they (like almost all major brand mattresses) are also poor value IMO.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I visited one manufacturer today and he was very helpful with showing me different materials, firmness/softer, etc. At first he showed me a foam core w/latex and I didn’t really like that, and then put memory foam on top but it still wasn’t great. Then he showed me an all latex (talalay) core-- with 3" of 40, 3" of 32, and then 2" of memory foam (4lb). That was ok, but I thought it was a little too soft/didn’t feel supportive enough. So he switched the layer of 32 and put another 3" layer of 40, with the 2" memory foam on top. That was good too, but not sure if it was too firm or if I would get used to it later on. Then he tried both the latex combinations again, the 40 & 40, and the 40 &32, but this time with 1 1/2" of memory foam so I wouldn’t sink as much. From what he said, I was perfectly straight with the two 40 layers, and sunk down just a bit on the 40 & 32. So I wasnt sure if the latter would be too soft/not supportive enough, but the other was a bit to firm so I couldn’t make a decision. He said if I wanted to I could get the 40, 40, and 1 1/2 memory foam, and if it’s too firm after a week or so then he would swap out the 40 for the 32 for me. So I thought that was awesome and would be great. But, I’m still hesitant because my back hurts now and I don’t know if it was from trying so many things or if my back isn’t used to having the correct support, etc.

I’d like to try one or two more places before making a decision in order to compare. I thought I read in one of the articles here that high quality memory foam is 5lbs and over? I tried to go back and look but I can’t seem to find it. Anyway, what are your thoughts? Good, bad, otherwise? Thanks for your input!!

Hi beth819,

A manufacturer who takes the time to have you try and explains all these different layerings to you and to offer you that kind of customization is clearly providing great service and would also have the knowledge to give you much better suggestions than I could at a distance.

If I was to suggest anything though … especially with only 1.5" of memory foam (and I like thinner layers personally but 2" of memory foam is also quite thin compared to most memory foam mattresses) that I would go with the softer 32 middle layer to better act as a transition layer between the very soft memory foam and the very firm (actually Super Firm which is one step past extra firm) 40 ILD latex.

Sometimes when you are testing many mattresses … things seem to blur into each other and the tendency is to not spend enough time on each variation. It makes a big difference when you spend at least 15 minutes on each mattress you are considering or even longer if you find that 15 minutes doesn’t get you into the fully relaxed pre-sleep state where all your muscles "let go). It’s especially important to test the pressure relief fully relaxed on your side and the alignment in all your sleeping positions (sensing any tendency to tighten your back muscles or feeling for any tension or pain). This is when you can best tell how good the pressure relief and alignment really is when your muscles aren’t tense or holding you up at all.

My suspicion is that 1.5" of 4 lb memory foam over 32 ILD latex would be more appropriate for your lighter weight and back/side sleeping. while I normally recommend choosing firmer when two choices seem roughly equal … I’m guessing that the 40 would be so firm and would be so much firmer than an “average” person of your weight and height and sleeping positions would be comfortable with that I think the 32 may be the better choice.

Again … if the recommendations from the local manufacturer who can actually see you are in any way in conflict with mine … then I would always follow their advice becaus they can actually see you on the mattress and get your feedback in “real time” which is always much more accurate that “theory at a distance”.

Because of your lighter weight … 4 lb memory foam will be as durable as 5 lb memory foam would be for someone who was much heavier so because it probably has a softer and less “motion restricting” feel for you than many 5 lbs memory foams would have, I think it would be a perfectly appropriate tradeoff.

Phoenix

Thanks for your input. Do you think 1.5" of memory foam is too thin? I could always go back up to the 2" as well. I asked with the 2" of memory foam if he could put a thin layer of softer latex either on top of it or underneath it, but for some reason he was keen on just using one comfort layer. I could try that at the next place and see if it makes a difference, or to just see some other options as well.

Overall I was very pleased with my experience, but I haven’t found that “perfect” mattress yet which tells me to check out other places before making a decision. But even just this one store was way better than any big company, so I’m happy.

Hi beth819,

There is no right or wrong when it comes to the thickness of a particular layer because it depends completely on how your particular body shape and weight interacts with the mattress and also on the feel you prefer. In general though … I prefer memory foam in thinner layers (3" and under) because this results in less of a “trapped in the mattress” feeling. this too also depends though on the particular type of memory foam that’s being used and on the layers above and below it (which affect the feel of memory foam quite a bit).

With 1.5" or 2" of memory foam …you would feel the layers below it much more than if the memory foam was thicker so this means that the type and specs of the foam below it would become more important. In this case it is latex which is about “as good as it gets” but even here the different firmness levels would make a big difference. In your case you are lighter than average which usually means (but not always because people have different needs and preferences) that softer foams work better (especially for pressure relief) than they would for those who are heavier. For those who are much less curvy (thinner and taller), then firmer foams will often work well because there are less “gaps” in the body shape to fill in.

Overall … you are exactly on the right track and as you know, being able to test mattresses with known layering can lead to much better and higher quality choices than buying a mattress where the ingredients are unknown and you have to take what you are buying on faith alone.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

It just occured to me to ask my cousin, who has the king koil mattress that I like, what the label of her mattress says. It says:

29% latex
2% polyester fiber
68% urethane foam

So I’m assuming that the foam is the core of the bed and the latex is the comfort layer? Or would that be the other way around? Either way, that’s a lot more foam that what I’ve tested so far, so maybe if I go back to the manufacturer and tell him those specs I can try it and see how it feels. What do you think of those materials though? I know it’s all based on preference, but I’d like to get your thoughts as well if that’s ok. Also, her bed is sagging a bit in the middle and of course 1-800-mattress won’t do anything because the sag isn’t deep enough. Is it sagging because the quality of materials is low or something else?

Thanks again!

Just wanted to add something to this post as I just read your previous post. You said that this:

“In your case you are lighter than average which usually means (but not always because people have different needs and preferences) that softer foams work better (especially for pressure relief) than they would for those who are heavier. For those who are much less curvy (thinner and taller), then firmer foams will often work well because there are less “gaps” in the body shape to fill in”

So you’re saying in most cases, because I’m lighter I’d might prefer a softer foam, but then you also said for those who are thinner and taller that firmer foams will often work. Well, I am both of those things haha. Maybe that’s why I can’t decide? Geez, this is so confusing lol.

Hi beth819,

Law labels are a good thing to check when someone is claiming they are selling an “all latex” mattress just to make sure they are telling you the truth. The problem though is that it only tells you part of the story because it says nothing about where the materials are in the mattress or the quality of the materials that are listed. They also show the content by weight which can be very different from thickness. In this case … the latex would represent about 20% of the thickness (it’s about twice as dense as the polyurethane).

Most of the major manufacturers that make a “budget” latex mattress like this would use good quality polyfoam as a base, then the latex would be above this, and then they would add another few inches of low density polyfoam above the latex. The quilting would then have an inch or so of “fluffy” lightweight polyester fiber.

the problem with this is that the polyester fiber and the low density polyfoam used in the upper layers of the mattress develops impressions very quickly and when it does … people believe that the latex was the problem because they don’t even know that they are sleeping on polyfoam and synthetic fibers that will develop impressions very quickly.

This is why it’s so important to know the layers of a mattress instead of just the percentage of materials. Good quality polyfoam used as a support core can make a good “budget” latex mattress and the polyfoam is not normally a durability issue but when a mattress has low density polyfoam and synthetic fibers in the upper layers or the quilting … then this becomes the weak link of the mattress. This is why I normally recommend that a mattress doesn’t have more than an inch of low density polyfoam or synthetic fibers in the top layers of the mattress.

In terms of tall and slim people … your testing and the help of someone who is knowledgeable will tell you what you prefer (as long as you take long enough on each mattress to completely relax as if you were actually going to sleep) as long as you get the pressure relief and alignment you need. The important part is that the materials you use are good enough quality that the properties of the mattress will last over time and are worth the price you are paying. Testing should never be based on a general and subjective feeling of “comfort” but on pressure relief, posture and alignment, and preferences. The more you test for these and the more you stay away from the temptation to test for the more subjective feeling of “comfort” … the more likely it will be that you will be happy with your mattress in the long term rather than just in the showroom.

Phoenix

Thanks for your reply. That’s my problem, with the combinations I tested yesterday I did feel some pressure relief, but when I got up my back still hurt. I know that the latex core with the thin layer of memory foam is great support and durability, etc- but I’m still hesistant because I didn’t “love” anything that I saw. That’s why I thought if I tried to recreate my cousin’s mattress with using high quality materials, it might work. But if a polyfoam core is considered a “budget” mattress, then I’m not sure if I want to do that. I talked to the manufacturer and he said it was the first combination that I tried (polyfoam and latex) and that I thought it was too firm, but that I could test a softer latex (32) instead if I want. I was even thinking of trying that with the 1 1/2 of memory foam. Do you know what the difference is in having a polyfoam core or latex core in terms of “feel”? I’m assuming a latex core is more supportive and longer lasting regardless, right?

I feel really bad that I havent really liked anything yet because he’s been so helpful and nice. Is there any different combinations that you could recommend that I haven’t tried? I know it’s all based on personal preference, but there’s so many different combinations that I’m just confusing myself even more. Maybe it’s the all latex core that I’m not liking or maybe it’s just having one comfort layer. I’m not sure. I know you said I’m doing the right thing, but I’m just frustrated that I havent found “it” yet.

Thanks again,
Beth

Hi beth819,

Just to clarify, a latex comfort layer with a polyfoam support core is a “budget” version when compared to an all latex mattress (polyfoam is less expensive than latex) but this doesn’t mean it’s a low quality choice. Some very expensive (and IMO overpriced) mattresses such as all the Tempurpedic lineup uses polyfoam support cores and they can be very expensive. The difference in “feel” would depend on the person and on the layering that was over the core. In general though polyfoam is not as elastic and supportive and conforming as latex and latex is also “springier” than polyfoam.

Unfortunately, I can’t feel what you feel and now that you know a bit about materials and combinations … your own testing using high quality materials is the best way to discover what works best for you. I would avoid the temptation to overanalyze and trust what your testing for pressure relief, posture, and your preferences are telling you. Sometimes it takes a bit of experimentation to find what is “perfect” for you but you have some very good local choices to help you make it possible.

I would probably suggest paying a visit to a couple of the other manufacturers on the list who have different styles and options and see if the various combinations they may offer is more to your liking. To “approximate” your cousin’s mattress … you would need to know the exact layer by layer description. If you know the model you may be able to find it on the web but the particular model may no longer be available so the description may be difficult to find so I would probably spend my spend some time at a few of the others to see what you feel about them.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I’ve tried searching for the specs of her mattress, but I can’t find anything about it. I know they don’t make it anymore, but I think they didn’t make a lot of them or something because I’ve tried in the past to search and came up with nothing.

Anyway, I went back to the first manufacturer today and I tested a few more combinations. A polyfoam core, I can’t remember if it was 4" or 6", 3" of 32 latex, and 2" of memory foam. For some reason I seemed to like the polyfoam core better and was surprised that I noticed a difference, and then he explained that the foam is denser (is that even a word?) than latex. I was still sinking in too much so I asked to try an inch of 32 latex on top. That felt a lot better, but still wasn’t great so it occured to me that maybe it was the memory foam I wasn’t liking. So I tried the polyfoam core, with 2 3" of 32 latex on top. I was perfectly straight on that and it seemed to provide pressure relief, but it still felt too firm. I asked if he had any softer latex and he said no. So now I’m thinking of calling the other manufacturers and seeing if they at least have a 24 or lower, because maybe the softer latex would give a bit of a memory foam type feel with the added support I’m looking for.

I was also thinking since I liked the polyfoam core better that maybe I’d like a dunlop core as well, since that’s denser and doesn’t move as much. At least I think I’ve narrowed it down some to where I think I prefer all latex comfort layers and not a combination of memory foam like I previously thought.

I was searching the forum for latex mattress posts and I keep seeing the Pure Bliss Latex pop-up. I noticed that it has a really soft comfort layer, like 14 or 19? What are your thoughts on that mattress? I’d still want to buy locally, but maybe if none of the manufacturers here have a softer latex I can go test it out to get an idea of what softer latex would feel like.

Thanks again,
Beth

hi beth819,

I’m guessing the mattress was part of the natural elegance lineup that they had like this. This one includes 10" of latex but the mattress was thicker than that and they tended to leave out the “other” ingredients.

I think he probably meant firmer rather than denser. Latex is much denser (heavier) than polyfoam but polyfoam can be made firmer than latex. this may also indicate that you would prefer Dunlop in a support core (which is denser, gets firmer faster, and is less lively) instead of talalay.

32 ILD is pretty firm for most people as a comfort layer although there are some who enjoy this firmness even on the top layer. 32 is more typical for a transition or support layer though.

I think this is a good idea just so you can know what some softer latex in the comfort layers can feel like. Don’t forget that most of your support comes from the layers below the comfort layers and the upper layers are more about pressure relief.

Pure Latex Bliss is a very high quality line of talalay latex mattresses. They include several models with different types of layering patterns and they also have a very soft 2" or 3" topper (14-15 ILD) that can be added to any of them. They are owned by Latex International which makes most of the talalay latex used in North America. While they are among the better quality talalay latex mattresses and they compete well with other “mass market” offerings … they are much higher priced than similar mattresses sold by many local manufacturers. They use various thicknesses of 19 ILD on top which would give you a good sense of what softer talalay in different thicknesses and different levels of firmness underneath would feel like. If you go to the Pure Latex Bliss website here and put your zip in it will give you the nearest outlet where they are sold which in your case is Mattress X-press.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I visited a couple more manufacturers today and one of them had a Nature’s Rest line that I think is their own brand. I tested a 1"of 19, 2" of 24, and a 7" of 36 with organic cotton on top. Wow, what a difference! I guess my instincts were right in thinking that a softer latex would feel like memory foam and it did. The only thing is I’m not sure if the 19 is too soft. He said he could take the 19 off, and brought out a 2" of 24 to test, but it was put on top of a bed that has a 19 on top of it too, so I couldn’t get a good feel of it. I was also laying directly on it, without a sheet or anything on it. I went to a couple places after that to see if anyone had a 24 that I could try but no one does. Do you think a 19 is too soft? I felt fine and I was straight and my hips sank just a bit, but I’m just worried overtime that it’s gonna be too soft? I can’t tell.

I also tried a mattress that had 2" of 19 and 6" of 32 Dunlop, 5.3lb and i didn’t like that at all. So I guess I do prefer talalay.

I also tried the pure latex bliss at mattress xpress, only problem is the salesman had no clue how many inches or what ILD’s were in any of the models. I liked the 10" Romance, whatever that is, and he also had a 3"inch topper on top of the 12" which was soft and plush but I don’t think I would want it that soft. That might’ve been the 14 topper you mentioned, but I have no clue what was what.

I wish I could try 1" of 24, 2" of 24, and then I guess 36, but I went to all the places on your list. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Just wanted to add, the place with the nature’s rest line, their latex has holes in it, whereas the place I went to the other day didn’t. What’s the difference? Could that be another reason I liked it better? Thanks.

Hi beth819,

Nature’s Rest is made by Spring Air and their newer latex models are very nice and in some places have good value. Softer latex can be very comfortable and the latex you were testing previously was firmer than most would choose (although this is always individual preference).

All Talalay and almost all Dunlop latex has holes or what are called Pincores. They are needed to apply heat into the latex core for curing the foam. There are some types of Dunlop that use a continuous process that are made in thinner layers that don’t have pincores although these are far less common and are usually softer versions of Dunlop.

A 19 ILD talalay latex comfort layer would be a fairly typical choice for someone of your height and weight. It’s much softer (as you know) which makes it more suitable for lower body weights.

The Romance sounds like their name for what Pure Latex Bliss calls the Nature and it has the following specs (top to bottom) …

Latex BLISS uses 450-480 Gram Weight fabric
Latex BLISS Milliken’s Paladin Fire Resistant Barrier
2" Natural Talalay Latex 19 ILD
1" Natural Talalay Latex 28 ILD
6" Natural Talalay Latex 36 ILD
1" Support Stabilization Base

I doubt I would add the topper (14 ILD) to the 12" Passion which is already very soft. It’s likely their name for the Beautiful which has these specs …

Latex BLISS uses 450-480 Gram Weight fabric
Latex BLISS Milliken’s Paladin Fire Resistant Barrier
3" Natural Talalay Latex 19 ILD
2" Natural Talalay Latex 24 ILD
6" Natural Talalay Latex 36 ILD
1" Support Stabilization Base

Phoenix