Requesting mattress help in south florida

Hi Beth819,

post #4 hereThe better sources of toppers I’m aware of are in .

Several of them sell 19 ILD but 14 would be a little harder to find (although SLAB carries them as you mentioned).

I would start with testing the PLB 14 ILD 2" topper to see how it feels for you (even though 14 ILD is very soft and would be less durable, it may be closer to the Aruba you used to like although I’m not certain). The new PLB line is supposed to be fairly similar in feel to the old and the extra firmness may be because they are so new and not broken in yet. It would still give you a chance to get a good sense of the feel of the topper though.

Toppers are usually non returnable “personal” products or in some cases returnable with fees or shipping costs involved but some testing may give you enough confidence to order one anyway. There is also the possibility of toppers at the big box stores that may give you a way to experiment without risk.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

The only site I’m seeing with 19 ILD from that post is sleep like a bear. There’s one more, foam order that says their soft is 17-25ILD, and I emailed them to see exactly what that means. Is it possible for an ILD to be a range like that, or is it that they don’t know exactly which one it is? All the other sites from what I’m seeing are 22-24 ILD. When you say the big box stores which are you referring to?

I stopped by z mattress tonight and I tried out the topper on top of the new hybrid, celebrate? Do you even know what that is? I know I tried the 2" topper but I don’t know which ILD it is. The woman had no clue, but she said the other store has the nature there and they have different firmeness levels in the topper, so I can go test them out. Is that true or is there only 14ILD and then your choice of 2"or 3’? I just need to know my info before I go back in there lol. Anyway, it definitely felt softer and more cushy, but I’m worried that that might be too soft. So I’m assuming I’d need a 19, but in 1" or 2" I’m not sure. Unless I get something lower than 19 in 1"? I don’t know I’m so confused lol. Thanks.

Also, I took the zippered cover off last night just to see the difference and it is much more comfortable without it. It’s a tiny bit softer but definitely more comfortable. I know I probably shouldnt be sleeping on it without that cover, but I just wanted to see. So hopefully if I get a topper that will solve that problem.

Hi Beth819,

ILD is always in a range (even when it has a single number) but Talalay has a narrower and more consistent range in a single layer than Dunlop. ILD’s are never exact. For example … Latex international measures the firmness in 9 different places in a core and then they are averaged to create the rating. If the average is closest to 19 then that’s the rating. If it’s closest to one of the other numbers then that’s the rating. Sometimes the average of a 19 ILD core will be lower and sometimes higher but everything in the same range are all called 19 ILD. Differences of a few ILD aren’t noticeable. Dunlop has an even wider range of ILD’s across the surface than Talalay and will also vary from the top of a core to the bottom.

I know that Dreamfoam and Matressses.net both sell 19 ILD toppers but I’m not sure of the thicknesses they have available. SleepEz could also order one if they don’t have any in stock. If you call any of the listed merchants they will often have products available that aren’t listed on their site.

The layering of the celebrate is as follows …

3" ActiveFUSION Fast Natural Talalay
2" Natural Talalay Latex
8" Bonded Foam/Latex

Most of the PLB toppers are 14 - 15 ILD and I haven’t heard of any firmer versions but that may not be correct. As far as I know they come in regular Talalay, and Active Fusion fast response Talalay. The merchant should know and if they don’t they should call PLB to find out (they should be chasing down the information they don’t have that you want).

I would probably be a little worried about that as well. At that softness it won’t be as durable either. As far as height … if you want “just a little or “just a touch” more softness then I would go with 1”. If you want something that would be more noticeable with a fair bit more softness … then I would go with 2".

That’s about as 'accurate" as I can get because I can’t really feel what you are feeling … although my sense is 2" if I had to guess.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

So I called all the online stores and there’s only one, select foam, that has a 90 day trial and no restocking fee. It’s $300 for a queen 2" topper, and they said it’s 19ILD. Do you think this is a good price?

I’ve noticed that the back pain ihas gotten worse, especially on the weekends when I sleep more. Two things are going on; the lower back pain that i normally have on the left side, but it’s in an even lower spot now than before this mattress. The other pain is a general soreness on both sides of my back if I end up sleeping on my back for a while. And the interesting part is that the pain goes away after a while, once I’m not in bed anymore. I really hope the topper is the answer, because what would I do if that doesn’t work? I wouldnt even know which other mattresses to try, etc.

Thanks,
Beth

Hi Beth819,

It’s not the lowest price for a 2" queen size Talalay topper but then the ones that are lower may not have a return policy (and a return policy adds to the price of a product).

As I mentioned in some of the previous posts … I would keep in mind that there may be no perfect solution with a disc problem and that to some degree any mattress may cause you discomfort from time to time or to some degree because of the underlying issues involved. In other words the “best possible” support and comfort may not be enough to prevent any discomfort at all and the goal in these cases is usually “best possible”.

I’m hopeful the topper will help with this as well. What may come next (if anything) would depend on your experience with the topper. It seems to me that your base mattress is suitable so rather than trying other mattresses it would be more of an issue of which topper will provide the best possible additional pressure relief you want to add to it. With your unusual circumstances and sensitivity it may take some experimentation to find the right combination but each step will provide additional insights into the best possible combination over the longer term.

Phoenix

For the protector so far I don’t want to go over $120–that already kind of is pushing it.

You said stretch knight cotton is good and less detectable so I was thinking the the jersey one that also has a membrane.

Organic Cotton Jersey by Gotcha Covered

I do want a cotton one without a membrane if that means there’s a higher chance it’ll have even less effect to the feel of the mattress than the membrane one but full on cotton ones (without a membrane) I’ve looked at are SO expensive ($200 or more).

Most of the cotton-knit protectors you recommended are organic which is not a requirement of mine. Do you have any other in mind that have a good reputation and have minimal effect on the feel of the mattress. Again minimal comfort interference is what I really want with some protective and temperature control qualities if possible. From what you’ve mentioned it seems I would want stretch knit or jersey and to be honest I’m not really sure what either of those are technically speaking. I know jersey kind of feels like a t-shirt? And stretch knit is… stretchy…

You know what else I’m really floored by–how much MORE expensive the cotton ones are. This was a shocker to me since they provide the LEAST amount of protection.

Other ones I’m interested in:

Suite Sleep

This one looks really nice and I would probably buy it if it were Amazon and cheaper because Amazon lets you return anything but I couldn’t find it on Amazon. It’s way too expensive though but I like the look of it, it looks like it’ll stretch nicely and not interfere with the feel. Any other ones like this, maybe non-organic, to bring the price down.

Cozy Pure

I think it has to be stretch knit now that I think about it. Jersey does not seem it would be comfortable. My mattress cover now is some kind of stretch knit and I think that’s the best. I love the cover.

I’m talking about my current mattress which is the Signature Sleep 12in Memoir Chinese mattress.
Dreamfoam Aria is on the way. For now looking for stretchknit cotton protector.

Hi EZ4HZ,

[quote]You said stretch knight cotton is good and less detectable so I was thinking the the jersey one that also has a membrane.

Organic Cotton Jersey by Gotcha Covered

I do want a cotton one without a membrane if that means there’s a higher chance it’ll have even less effect to the feel of the mattress than the membrane one but full on cotton ones (without a membrane) I’ve looked at are SO expensive ($200 or more).[/quote]

The protector you linked has a polyurethane backing which is the membrane that makes it waterproof. The cotton jersey would be stretchy and the membrane would have some stretch to it as well but protectors with the membranes aren’t as breathable as a cotton fabric so there are some people that tend to sleep a little warmer with the membrane type of protectors.

[quote]Most of the cotton-knit protectors you recommended are organic which is not a requirement of mine. Do you have any other in mind that have a good reputation and have minimal effect on the feel of the mattress.

You know what else I’m really floored by–how much MORE expensive the cotton ones are. This was a shocker to me since they provide the LEAST amount of protection.[/quote]

Most manufacturers that make a knit cotton protector tend to use organic cotton which is a fairly costly material (thicker fabrics are also more costly than thinner fabrics) because cotton is the most heavily sprayed crop on earth and most people that tend to choose a cotton protector want some assurance that the cotton is pesticide free. The mattress protector post includes all the knit cotton options I’m aware of (although of course the list may not be complete) and there aren’t as many different choices with these types of protectors as there are with the membrane type of protectors which are made by many more companies and are the most popular type of mattress protector.

There has been some good forum feedback on the Cozy Pure protector and the Suite Sleep protector and the European Sleep Designs protector (which off the top of my head may be the least costly at $189 for a king size).

Jersey is one of several types of knit fabrics (vs woven fabrics). They are all “stretchy” but some types of knits are more stretchy than others or stretch well in multiple directions rather than just in a single direction.

Phoenix

Of the Cozy Sleep, Suite Sleep, and European Sleep Design which would affect feel the least you think? Also, I could not find a way to order Sleep Design’s matress…do I have to call?

Hi EZ4HZ,

I think the only way to answer this would be to find someone that has tried all of them which may be difficult (I don’t have any personal experience with any of them).

Yes … you would need to call them.

Phoenix

Phoenix this is the same problem I am facing buying a Mattress Cover that I cannot feel. Right now on our Bed is covered by a Large Mattress Cover over the older Latex Mattress and and Mattress underneath entirely that we are using. It seems to restrict me feeling the Latex Topper properly, always has. And it is fairly New! Maybe 2 months old. Do we need a separate Topper Cover for our New Latex Topper? We have not used it yet! I understand A Soft Stretch cover is important with no polyester on back. Only a cotton?
Is that Correct? And our Latex Topper is still airing out , it has a ink stain running clear down one side , same with the place they glued being a California King. Is that normal?
Whom has the best Latex Covers? I do understand this lady about my lower back has a bad issue to, I got a Softer Topper. Hope I am not sorry. The other Latex Topper Sunk at least 2" in less than 6 years. Had a longer warranty, not worth shipping back. So bought another. Will never buy from them again, yes was a good company we thought. Bought 3 Toppers from them in those 6 years, not this time!
Bunny
Thanks

Hi Bunny1999,

I’m not clear if you are referring to a mattress/topper cover or a mattress protector or a mattress encasement or which type you currently have (see post #6 here). If you are referring to a mattress protector then there is more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors in post #89 here.

Latex can oxidize faster with exposure to air and ozone and ultraviolet light along with other substances that can damage it (see here) and it’s always a good idea for a latex topper to have a dedicated cover to give it the best possible protection and to help maximize it’s useful lifetime. It can also help protect the topper from tearing when you handle it. A mattress protector or sheets would offer “some” protection but it’s a matter of degree. There is more in post #3 here and post #3 here that will give you some sense of the effect of different types of covers on latex.

The choice of fabric would be a preference and a budget choice (polyester is generally a lower cost than cotton). Cotton would be a preference for those who prefer more natural fibers and is also better at absorbing and wicking moisture than polyester and will also be less prone to static charges.

I don’t know what you mean by an “ink stain” (unless someone wrote on the topper with a felt pen) but It shouldn’t harm the topper. California king latex toppers often have a glue seam where they glued the extra length to make the longer size and in some cases can have a glue seam where two narrower sizes were glued together depending on the size of the mold that was used to make the original latex core…

If you have a mattress protector then you can use a topper directly on the mattress and put the protector over the topper.

Again I’m not sure if you are referring to an actual cover but there is no “best” of anything in the mattress world because there are too many individual needs and preferences and criteria involved in any choice you make for any type of mattress or component. If you are looking for a topper cover rather than a protector then there are some sources for topper covers in post #4 here.

Phoenix

Phoenix I was talking about 3" Latex Mattress Topper cover! Sorry for the confusion. I did read your posting too on Topper Covers. Some are heavy looking others look thick, hard to truly see unless it is in front of me without asking your opinion which I trust.

I read this;

1. Not All Organic Cotton Covers Are the Same
    Knitted Covers vs. Woven Covers
    Questions You Should Be AskingIs the organic cotton cover made from woven fabric or knitted fabric?organic cotton latex mattress coverKnitted organic cotton covers are softer, more breathable, more elastic, offer better moisture control, and provide better pressure relief than woven organic cotton covers.
    The 2 primary types of fabric used on mattress covers are woven fabrics and knitted fabrics. They are made differently and have very different material properties.
    Woven Organic Cotton Fabrics
    In woven organic cotton fabrics, the stitches can only stretch in one direction parallel to the weave. Strands are tightly packed together and several criss-cross over one another, offering minimal elasticity or pressure relief. Typical woven materials include denim, tweed and canvas. Woven fabrics do not stretch because their fibers run at 45-degree angles to one another.
    2.Knitted Organic Cotton Fabrics
    Knit fabrics are different from woven fabrics in that the strands of yarn are looped together as opposed to being straight. Knitted fabrics can stretch in any direction because the stitches are in loops and can bend in any direction without stressing the knitted fabric, offering much more “give” and elasticity over woven fabrics.
    Elasticity in a latex mattress cover is crucial because allows the fabric a natural way to be wrinkle resistant and stretchable without becoming permanently distorted, which in turn allows the layers of latex underneath to give optimal pressure relief. This is important as reduction of pressure on the surface of the mattress reduces the constriction of blood flow to the neurological system, providing a deeper undisturbed sleep, thus optimizing regeneration and restoration that comes naturally from sleep itself.
    Knitted mattress covers are softer, more breathable, more elastic, offer better moisture control, and provide better pressure relief than woven covers.

I will look for the knitted , although not a easy find? Maybe…my eyes are not that sharp anymore to detect a thinner knit.
As it said Knitted Covers are Softer, more Breathable, and more elastic.
I guess what I was trying to say is, I want a completely separate Cover for the New Latex Topper.
Oh I did find out these accidently marked the wrong side for cutting, to make it long to be a California King. I asked he was Honest! With a Good Cover we will never see it. Wish they did not occur.

Sorry to keep asking you things , but no one I know has more knowledge then you do! You have helped so so many, I hope you know how much you are sincerely appreciated! You are a Pro, honestly!!!
Bunny

Hi Bunny1990,

I don’t have any personal experience with any of the topper covers that are listed but your best source of guidance about any of them would be the manufacturer or retailer that sells them. They are all knowledgeable about their products.

As the article you posted mentions … a more stretchy knit cover will allow the latex to contour to the shape of your body more effectively. The tradeoff is that a woven cover can be more durable and can also provide better protection for the latex against oxidation from exposure to air (see post #3 here). There are also some people that prefer covers that are quilted with various materials such as wool (see post #6 here).

There are a few vendors that sell knit covers listed in post #4 here.

Phoenix

I am a new owner of a Presto Latex bed (just received the 10" – 4" firm, 2" firm, 2" med, 2" soft in a split King) and I tried putting on my previous mattress protector (cotton/polyester, decent thickness) but I ended up with a drum-effect and took it off the bed as it obviously wasn’t going to work. Instead, I put a sheet under the fitted sheet to help with any sweat/etc. in the near term. I found even the sheets to make the mattress considerably firmer than it was without any layer on the bed.

Since I have this wool/cotton topped mattress – I would like to find a protector that has decent water resistance (I don’t want to damage the fabrics/mattress) but that maintains the feel of the bed and the properties of the wool/cotton cover of the bed (why buy a wool cotton covered mattress to cover it with polyurethane and lose the cooling effect?).

What suggestions do you have? The St. Dormeir sounds like an option, but might not offer enough water resistance…Thoughts?

As an aside, the bed feels a little firm (moreso with sheets on). We tried an 8" Modesto (by nature’s embrace) and it’s my understanding the Presto as configured should be a little softer than the Modesto – anyway, I will need to give it time and break in, but I definitely think the protector (even if thin) can affect the feel and sleep quality.

Lastly, the bed is a beast – almost 200 lbs. We had to unzip and move half the bed layer by layer – latex has no rigidity when it comes to moving it (which I knew, but it’s one thing to actually experience first hand). Although a pain to reassemble, it was at least POSSIBLE to move because of the split king. Otherwise, it would likely be still out on my driveway…

Hi sanndennis,

You’re right, The St-Dormeir Cotton Merino Wool Mattress Protector does not offer much in water resistance but it does absorb moisture and is unique as it can be machine washed and dried. Unfortunately I don’t know of any mattress protector that is water resistant and not made with some kind of synthetic waterproof membrane. Sleeptek makes a wool pad that is quite absorbant, but not completely waterproof. Then Berkeley ergonomics has one made of 100% organic cotton knit, that will absorb moisture and since it’s a knit it will not create a drum effect like you experienced with your mattress protector

Organic Dunlop latex is the most supportive bedding material and takes some getting use to. The mattress will soften up with use and our bodies take a few weeks to get use to a new sleep surface.

I’ve never hear anybody call our latex mattress a “beast” but in your case I understand completely :slight_smile:
The king size is our heaviest beast at over 200 lbs of solid organic Dunlop latex, wool and organic cotton. The Presto has a top-zip cover so that you can re-arrange the loose inner layers to adjust the comfort and support of the mattress. This feature allowed you to disassemble the mattress in order to move it around with more ease than a conventional latex mattress. Thank’s for sharing your experience, I’ll add this feature to our description of the Presto mattress.

Did I answer all your question?
Please let me know if you need any further information.

All the Best!
Mario