Requesting topper assistance

Hoping someone can help me on here. Way back in 2012 I bought a gel memory foam mattress from one of the major old brands (I can’t recall which one), the firmest one they had in the store. It was AMAZING…for about 3 months. After that it had deteriorated into a pretty bad experience and ended up getting rid of it.

Fast forward to several years ago, my partner and I were looking to upgrade and saw a lot of great reviews of sleeponlatex so we tried it out. Now, it turns out we have very different mattress preferences. I (6’1, 200lbs, side sleeper) really loved the first few months of that 2012 cloud of a mattress whereas she (5’7, 160lbs, any random position) likes a really firm one. So when our medium sleeponlatex arrived neither of us really liked it. Long story short, we tried various toppers and settled on her half using 4" of firm sleeponlatex topper and my half using 4" serene foam (2.5lbs, I think).

I thought that was fine, but it’s never been great and the serene foam on my side has since started to wear out, putting me back on the market. I’ve been looking around for higher density memory foams and found a 5lb topper from FoamByMail that seems like maybe is what I want? I don’t really know, but after doing some more searching around here I found old posts saying not to use that site and some newer stuff from this year where it seems like they might be off the bad list. So my questions are:

1. Does this seem like it would work well with the latex base or should I be looking in a different direction?
  2. If I am going the correct route, should I be looking into FBM or somewhere else?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

If no one has any suggestions can anyone at least mention reliable alternatives to FBM with similar high density foam?

Hi Frosty.

Sorry for the delayed reply! Phoenix cautions against using Foam By Mail and suggests reading this post and this post and this topic (about their polyfoam and sources) and this post (presumably from a past employee) before buying anything from Foam by Mail (AKA FBM and Foam Factory) or considering them as a reliable supplier.

Rockymountainmattress and sleepwarehouse have been used successfully by other members in the past searching for 5 lb memory foam toppers.

NikkiTMU

Hey Nikki, thanks for the reply! I will definitely check out those alternatives. I had seen those older posts by Phoenix but I had also seen this one from a couple months ago so wasn’t sure if that was still the guidance or not.

On another note, do you think 4" of high density topper is the right way for me to be going?

Hi Nikki, unfortunately it looks like sleepwarehouse might be dead. Their website URL doesn’t work, their twitter hasn’t been updated since 2015 and their Facebook page since 2018. Rockymountainmattress appears to only sell in-store in Canada and I’m in the US with the only site information I can find being their Facebook page. Do you know of any other online retailers I might try out?

Wondering if you’ve found anything re: toppers??

Rockymountainmattress literally disappeared. No wonder… Despicable business. I got a “5lb topper” from them and less than a year later was like regular bouncy crappy foam. They didn’t even acknowledge me lol. I’m sure I wasn’t the first…
You know? I’m sorry to bring you the news, but really no small American company is going to come with a good product at a good price. They’re all scammers. I bought my 5lb tempurpedic topper in 2019 and still going strong, like the first day, and it was $100 cheaper on sale vs the $400 rockymountainmattress garbage. I wish you guys stop recommending people to get scammed by a small local company that only sells garbage, all of them sell garbage or overpriced mattresses and toppers, no exception. When it comes to anything except for maybe food in some cases, small local companies are ought to scam you, that’s the sad reality.
Just for the sake of having a talking point or pretend to know anything about mattresses, very harmful advices you guys give here many times…

It’s pretty disheartening, not to be able to trust such reviews.

I just purchased a Ghostbed topper, for almost $400 (CAD) and it’s no better thus far than the $150 toppers I’ve tried from Amazon. And it’s not returnable. It smells worse than any other, HOT, and after 3 nights, it’s already sunken in and stays there.

I should have tried a tempurpedic.

Lot of variability with finding toppers. Its difficult lately.
In the past I used to have my regular sources to get the same memory foam topper repeated every few years when the old one wore out. But many stores/ vendors have seemed to be gone. And the foam I liked, Sensus, , appears to no longer be made.
Lately I had trouble finding any low cost, high density ones through my past sources, at least ones labeled as 5lb density… So, I did just buy the official tempurpedic topper instead. Its a bit more pricey than some other random ones you can find on amazon, but not too expensive. It seems to only come in a 3 inch size at the moment.
I got the “supreme” one. there is one other option that has a cooling cover.
here is the link but a variety of major stores carry it too:

I have just had it a few nights, but so far I like it. It has a firm-ish memory foam feel, similar to an older tempurpedic bed we had (although they dont list the specific density anywhere). So far I like it after a few nights - so far so good. With tempurpedic, you know what you get… so somewhat reliable in that aspect