Researching king mattress for hefty couple

Being a chronic over-researcher, I’ve spent the last month or so researching a new mattress for my girlfriend and I. As a somewhat rotund couple (5’9" and 300lb, and 5’3" and 330lb) I understandably place durability fairly high up on my list of needs. We’re currently using the full-sized version of this mattress and frame which I purchased while single and poorer: https://www.samsclub.com/sams/night-therapy-10-supreme-pillow-top-spring-mattress-bed-frame-set-queen/prod5210392.ip
After 2 years many of the coils in that thing have collapsed and we’re both having trouble sleeping. I’d like to avoid making a similar mistake in material quality this time and the full-size mattress also isn’t cutting it for us as a couple and we’d like to upgrade to a king. Though we still have a somewhat limited budget of $1,000 max, but preferably in the $500-$800 range.

After looking at reviews online I was waffling between these two items from Lucid:
linenspa.com/products/14-inch-memory-foam-mattress-by-lucid
linenspa.com/products/16-inch-natural-latex-and-memory-foam-plush-mattress-by-lucid
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1:linenspa.com/products/14-inch-memory-foam-mattress-by-lucid | Archived Footprint 2: linenspa.com/products/16-inch-natura...sh-mattress-by-lucid

Both of which I should be able to get for 30% off whenever Linen Spa rolls out their next holiday coupon. Of course then I found this website and started looking into your articles on material durability, etc. And started to worry it’d be the Night Therapy bed all over again.

At this point I’m considering stretching our budget up to the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop Latex Mattress or the Brooklyn BME. Both look to use 2lb HD polyfoam support cores and latex comfort layers. I’m just not sure if, in terms of durability, I’d be better off with a 12" mattress overall in the eurotop vs the 10"-11" of the BME or having the extra inch of latex in the comfort layers with the BME. Being able to replace the comfort layer if so desired with the eurotop is a nice perk, but I’m not certain if that alone is worth the extra $99. Especially since I’m more concerned about the polyfoam giving out than the latex, though I may be misguided there.

I’d also be open to any other suggestions of suitable mattresses in our price range. I’m open to local as well, but I think that’s pretty limited in our area (zip code 12768). I know I haven’t spoken much to comfort preferences, but honestly neither one of us is super picky there. I’d like it to be suitable for side-sleeping, and I figure it’s best to avoid super-soft beds given our size. I tend to sleep fairly hot, which is my only strong comfort consideration. Otherwise just about anything should be an upgrade comfort-wise over our current situation.

I really appreciate any assistance or advice you have, and I’m very thankful for the website you’ve put together. It’s been a huge help over looking at Amazon reviewers who have only spent a week or two on the bed or mattress reviewers who are getting who knows what incentives to shill a particular product…

Edit: One last option I forgot to mention. The Dreamfoam Arctic Dreams 10" mattress. I’m aware that this would not be the ideal choice for our weights. However, given that none of the mattresses available in our price range truly seem ideal and money is tighter for us now than it would be in a couple years, I would not be averse to spending much less money and getting the Arctic Dreams as long as I thought it could reasonably last for 2-4 years and be able to look for something in the $1000+ range a few years from now.

Hello Spelaeus,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

A high BMI presents special challenges and generally requires firmer materials (in the support layers especially). This could be firmer latex or innersprings (the type of support component would be a personal preference and in the right design either could be suitable) or even a zoned construction. The same overall guidelines apply with higher weights though that PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) along with using high quality durable materials that will maintain their feel and performance for longer periods of time are the way to make the best choices. Heavier people in general will need firmer and thicker comfort layers and firmer support layers than those who are lighter and because no materials will last as long with much higher weights the quality and durability of the materials and components is even more important than normal. I wouldn’t “rule out” any types of mattress and base your choices on your own personal testing. Post #3 here has more information and suggestions about heavier weights that is worth reading.

Those in a higher BMI range want to be especially prudent in the choice of their components. For those in a higher BMI range, there is more information about selection a mattress in the durability guidelines here. Specifically, if your BMI is 30 or higher:

Higher BMI ranges will need more durable materials and components in a mattress and in a BMI range of 30 or higher I would include any 1.8 lb polyfoam or 4 lb memory foam as a “lower quality/density” material (relative to a higher BMI only) and minimize their use to a total of “about an inch or so or less” in the mattress.

Polyurethane foam: If your mattress is one sided then I would look for 2.0 lb per cubic foot density or higher. If the mattress is two sided then I would use a minimum density of 1.8 lbs per cubic foot or higher.

Memory foam (or gel memory foam): If your mattress is one sided then I would make sure that any memory foam is at least 5 lb per cubic foot. If the mattress is two sided then I would use a minimum density of 4 lbs per cubic foot.

As with any mattress purchase … the best way to know which mattress is most suitable is with personal testing and the guidance of a manufacturer or retailer that has good experience with higher weights because there are too many variables, unknowns, and personal preferences involved to use “theory at a distance” as a way to make a mattress choice (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). Taking some time to read the mattress shopping tutorial will be your first step in making sure you are choosing a product with appropriately durable componentry for your specific needs.

If you’re going to focus online, then consider using the experience and expertise of the members listed in post #21 here who are all very experienced and knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices. There are a wide range of options included in the choices there and I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

Their detailed knowledge of their mattresses and how they fit with different body types, including high BMIs, and sleeping positions along with your feedback from local testing, a customer base of many people that they can use as reference points, and any exchange, return, or any options they have available to customize a mattress after a purchase can help lower the risk of an online purchase.

[quote]After looking at reviews online I was waffling between these two items from Lucid:
linenspa.com/products/14-inch-memory-foam-mattress-by-lucid
linenspa.com/products/16-inch-natura...sh-mattress-by-lucid
Both of which I should be able to get for 30% off whenever Linen Spa rolls out their next holiday coupon. Of course then I found this website and started looking into your articles on material durability, etc. And started to worry it’d be the Night Therapy bed all over again.[/quote]
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1:linenspa.com/products/14-inch-memory-foam-mattress-by-lucid | Archived Footprint 2: linenspa.com/products/16-inch-natura...sh-mattress-by-lucid

I agree with your concerns. You can see some comments about Lucid and other Chinese mattresses that are shipped compressed from overseas in post #6 here. A forum search on Lucid (you can just click the link) will also bring up more comments and feedback about them as well. Lucid mattresses tend to use low quality memory foam (3 lb density or less) which would be a weak link in the mattress in terms of durability and they generally aren’t a mattress that I would consider.

Your thoughts certainly aren’t misguided – these are excellent questions. B) The layers closer to the top of the mattress will go through the most use, so in the case of these two products (which both use very durable latex) the extra 1" of latex on top certainly can provide more durability, and you have the option of choosing a “firm” model with the BME, and the second layer of latex is Dunlop, which tends to be a bit more of a dense latex as compared to a similar ILD of Talalay latex. The ability to remove the top layer in the Dreamfoam mattress is more for customization, and as you stated you aren’t too picky regarding comfort, I wouldn’t necessarily think that this would rate as high on your personal value equation.

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your criteria and the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around Saugerties, NY would be in the Poughkeepsie/New Palz list in post #4 here and in the Schenectady/Albany list in post #4 here. The list for the larger New York City region in post #2 here.

I’m glad you’ve found our site helpful. And very well said! :lol:

You are correct that the Artic Dreams represents an excellent value for the price, and if you’re looking to spend as little as possible it certainly would be something for you to investigate.

I think that your best course of action, after narrowing your choices down to a few, would be a detailed phone conversation with the “finalists” you’ve selected and relate to them your specific situation and ask for their guidance. I think at that point you’ll have a better idea of what will work best for your situation and budget.

I’m looking forward to learning about your progress and what you eventually decide to do.

Phoenix

I’d definitely error on the side of firm considering your size. I would also stay with a thicker mattress. At least a 14". Wouldn’t go any smaller than that. Good luck

itbeatsforyou,

I removed the link in your signature because linking to your own site is against the rules of the forum. It did cause me to look at why you would link to such a questionable site or offer the type of inaccurate or non-specific “advice” you are providing, and as a result of a quick google search I realized that you were linking to your own site…

When you first posted here I thought you were genuinely looking to provide accurate information and advice but now I realize that you are only spamming SEO links to boost the rankings of your own site, and since you continued in this manner it left me no choice but to disable your account.

Anyone who has performed just a bit of research on this site would recognize the inaccuracy and generalization of your “advice”, knowing that mattress thickness is a by-product of design and not in and of itself a particularly meaningful manner of selecting a mattress. I’ve had to delete your other various posts on the site, as they were equally inaccurate and non-contributory.

Phoenix

I know I’ve been silent for a while. Funds were set back for a bit by some vehicle repairs. I think we’re about to pull the trigger on this 12" hybrid mattress from Brooklyn Bedding/Dreamfoam: https://www.wayfair.com/Brooklyn-Bedding-Ultimate-Dreams-12-Firm-Mattress-BBUD12PC-BKBD1016.html

The price is certainly right and while I know the 4lb memory foam layer will be a weak point for us, I’m okay with the mattress having a somewhat truncated lifespan at that pricepoint.

Hi Spelaeus,

Welcome back!

I know you’ve been doing a lot of learning about recommended foams and densities, so as long as you are aware of those factors, as you stated you are, I’m excited for you getting your new mattress and I’ll be interested in learning about your experience with it once you’ve slept on it for a while.

Phoenix