Resizing Mattress from King/Queen to Full or Twin Size

Hello,
I am looking to get a full or twin sized bed/mattress for my guest bedroom. Didn’t want to shell out full price for another brand new mattress (just bought a Nest for my main bedroom) so I was looking online and saw some people selling lightly used foam mattresses from Nest and Brooklyn Bedding. They are in King or Queen sizes so I was wondering if anyone has any experience resizing foam mattresses. I found a few videos online showing that resizing the actual foam can be pretty simple.
However, I think mattresses like the Nest or Brooklyn Bedding come in fully sealed covers. Is the foam inside compressed? (As in, if I were to cut open the covers to reduce the size of the foam, would the foam also expand vertically due to the lack of cover holding the foam in?
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this or any recommendations.
Thanks!

Hi s.guo1,

That’s a good question. Usually the compression, if any, is quite minimal in the items you described, and the covers, while relatively snug, float well over the foam on the inside. You would have some sewing to do with replacing the cover.

If you want to avoid a used item but instead want something new but affordable, then post #4 here and the posts it links to also include many of the better lower budget online options I’m aware of.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix!

Hi s.guo1,

You’re welcome!

Phoenix