Restava vs. Christeli

Hi SoCAlSleeping,

I’m not sure of the specifics of what you were asking but most customer service staff wouldn’t have some of the more technical information beyond what would normally be asked by their customers (such as foam densities) and if a question was more complex or technical than that then it’s not unusual that they would need to ask the factory.

It’s also not unusual that the specs on a website are more simplified or rounded and not exact to the level of accuracy of the actual factory specs so relatively small variations wouldn’t be any cause of concern to me. If a manufacturers website becomes too technical then they would lose sales since most of their customers would become overwhelmed and simply pass them by. There is always a balance between providing enough information for a customer to make an informed choice and not so much that it would cost them sales or confuse or overwhelm the majority of customers.

The factory specs that you linked are a little confusing because they don’t include the proprietary names that Restava uses and they include the more technical factory descriptions and “code” so as you mentioned they are difficult to “translate” or “match” but here’s my “best guess” (and the order may not be correct).

FR5.4 This would be the fire retardant barrier that is required to pass the fire retardant regulations.

1" Blue Gel + 1" Blue Gel: This would likely be the 2" layer of Cool-Comfort Gel.

1 x .9375" Adaptaflex: This would likely be the 1" of “cool logic” gentle gel

1 x 2.68" Adaptaflex: This would likely be the 3" of cool comfort gel

5.75" 15030 Crushed: This would likely be the 6" polyfoam posturetouch layer that is listed as 2.5 lb polyfoam but the factory specs seem to indicate that this is 1.5 lb density.

5.75" T931232+3GV+1GV B-1.81232: This would likely be the foam used in the edge management system. It appears to be 1.2 lb density.

1 x .9375" FE 12032 + 1 x 1.875" FE 12032: These would likely be the bottom 3" of firmer posturetouch polyfoam but they appear to indicate 1.2 lb density.

You can see a description of the Adaptaflex foam here which is not a gel memory foam although the layers that mention it may be using G-flex which is the gel version of their Adaptaflex foam.

Manufacturers that use proprietary names for their materials are common and even “the norm” in the industry. It’s not meant to mislead as much as differentiate one manufacturer from another that uses the same material in a highly competitive industry that requires some degree of marketing to succeed or to keep their suppliers private (also for competitive reasons). While it certainly adds to the confusion … knowing the type and density of the foam and the more “basic” information can “bypass” proprietary naming conventions.

The layer thicknesses are “close enough” so these also wouldn’t be a concern to me but the foam densities and some of the other possible discrepancies would be more of a concern since they don’t appear to match the website descriptions.

I’ll ask them about some of the possible differences between the factory specs on the tag that you linked and the specs on their site when I have the chance to talk with them because I’m just as curious as you are.

Phoenix

So the touted 2.5 foam density is actually 1.2? That’s disappointing. The 2.5 foam density was why I was seriously looking at Restava. Boo hiss. That puts Christeli as my number one choice. Is there any chance their stated foam density is incorrect?

Hi wwwangels,

This was a “translation” of the tag that came with SoCalSleeeping’s mattress but it’s quite possible that the tag is also incorrect so I wouldn’t jump to any conclusions until I’ve had a chance to clarify the specs. It doesn’t seem likely or logical that they would include information about the specs that were so different from their website descriptions unless there was some mistake involved … it just wouldn’t make sense.

I don’t know how to answer this because I suppose “in theory” anything is possible but I have no reason to believe that their stated foam densities are incorrect.

Phoenix

So I decided to give myself the weekend off from thinking about mattress options. I almost ordered the Restava Ivory on Friday and this morning I am feeling a bit relieved that I did not.

The information related uncovered related to possible density inconsistencies has given me pause. I will certainly wait for Phoenix or someone else to confirm. I do hope that it is just a misunderstanding becuase that is a bit disconcerting if not.

I guess overall I am just in a bit of a waiting pattern.

I am leaning towards Christeli now…though I wish there was a firm model in the $900 - $1000 range. The Astoria is medium-firm at around $800 and the Danieli is medium-firm at around $1300. Both great…I would like the edge support and 8lb comfort layer, but just not sure that I can swallow $1,300 right now.

Hope the rest of you are progressing it your search.

[quote=“Phoenix” post=38197]Hi SoCAlSleeping,

I’m not sure of the specifics of what you were asking but most customer service staff wouldn’t have some of the more technical information beyond what would normally be asked by their customers (such as foam densities) and if a question was more complex or technical than that then it’s not unusual that they would need to ask the factory.

It’s also not unusual that the specs on a website are more simplified or rounded and not exact to the level of accuracy of the actual factory specs so relatively small variations wouldn’t be any cause of concern to me. If a manufacturers website becomes too technical then they would lose sales since most of their customers would become overwhelmed and simply pass them by. There is always a balance between providing enough information for a customer to make an informed choice and not so much that it would cost them sales or confuse or overwhelm the majority of customers.

[/quote]

I agree. My annoyance was more about the lack of responsiveness, especially when following up. It just contrasts with other retailers who have CS that can answer easily, or quickly find someone that does. I sent my fifth follow-up since 5/29 today.

Regardless, I was pleased with every other aspect of the purchase process and CS.

In terms of the construction and materials, I gave them the benefit of the doubt. But you potentially noticing the lower densities on the poly-foam makes me doubt that. Like you, I had seen the G-Flex, and I had also seen this: Breeze which has “Adaptaflex” noted as being available in “500” and “600”. This made me think that they have options above the 2 and 4 lb densities on the main PDF, but this still would not be gel. In the end I just assumed (maybe incorrectly) that they might have a custom mix? Or that the G-flex (which implies that is uses Adaptaflex) was used with a higher density version not on the sheet? Either way it causes doubt with the names on the tag…

Also, your translation of the top layers:

[quote]1 x .9375" Adaptaflex: This would likely be the 1" of “cool logic” gentle gel on top

1" Blue Gel + 1" Blue Gel: This would likely be the 2" layer of Cool-Comfort Gel.

1 x 2.68" Adaptaflex: This would likely be the 3" of cool comfort gel[/quote]

Does not match their picture which shows (from top to bottom):

2" Cool-Comfort GEL™
1" Cool-Logic™ Gentle-Gel™
3" Cool-Comfort GEL™

I assume that they do not just arbitrarily use their proprietary names, and when they say “Cool-Comfort GEL”, that it it is the same material as anywhere else they say “Cool-Comfort GEL”, with only minor changes like density. The tag implies the “Adaptaflex” are the same materials, not the “blue gel”.That why I mentioned it before, I can’t find a way to make their tag add up to the advertised specs if I assume they are consistent.

Also, I noticed another possible error today. Their edge management system seems to only be 5.75 inches tall on the tab. On their advertised picture they show it as 9" and surrounding all the poly-foam layers. So maybe that is another mistake?

Anyway, I find this pretty interesting. I was actually down to these two companies, but went with Restava because of this sites recommendation, the discount, and partially to help support it for all the great help you provide (and continue to provide).

I appreciate you going out of your way to dig deeper into this.

Also, the warranty card that came with it is through “Restonic”, so are they the manufacturer/factory?

Hi SoCalSleeping,

That was me misreading the order of materials on their and changing the description to match the site. It makes much more sense with the 2" of the gel on top because that’s the layer that has the FR layer as well which would also be on top. It matches the tag much better that way.

Restonic is a licensee group made up of independent factories across the country that produce the Restonic mattresses. Most of them also make other mattresses besides Restonic and Restava is a brand made by one of the Licensees.

Phoenix

Hi tarpon21,

I talked to them this morning and they confirmed that the Ivory is “matched” to the Contour Rhapsody Luxe … not the Cloud Luxe.

Phoenix

Did you happen to question them at all regarding the inconsistenices relating to the foam densities?

Just curious about that…was really close to ordering the Ivory until that came about…

Hi tennisbanker,

No … I talked to their customer service department so they wouldn’t be the ones to talk with about the tag with the factory specs (I’ll need to talk with someone a little “higher up” that is in production). I’ve sent an email and will add any clarifications as soon as I’ve talked with them.

They are reviewing the comparisons on their site to make sure they are all accurate (and to make sure that their customer service staff are giving accurate information) because there may have been some mistakes as a result of their recent site changes (for example if you currently click on the Delano it brings up a description of the Pearl).

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. I appreciate your efforts!

Great thank u for the follow up, Phoenix. Makes me breathe a little easier knowing it is a medium-firm feel like the rhapsody. Just curious, did you speak to a lady named Judy or to the actual factory? I only ask bc it was a sales lady who had told me it compared to the cloud luxe, although she seemed a little confused.

However, I am still on the fence due to tennis’ point about the discrepancies in the foam densities. Did u happen to have a chance to get some more info on that as we’ll? Regardless, I appreciate all your time and help.

Tennis: it’s funny to me we are in the same boat with similar concerns and price point. I’m also looking more into the Astoria as long as foam density is as described, it’s a medium firm and similar price as ivory.

Everyone’s communication on here is so great and much appreciated.

Tarpon

Edit: just read your latest update Phoenix. Ty!

Hi tarpon,

I believe it was Judy I spoke with (I didn’t ask) and I talked to her a second time and she had confirmed the information I posted.

Not yet (see my last post prior to this one … I see after I posted this that you’ve just read it :)) but I’ll post here when I find out any more information.

Phoenix

Bump for tennis/Phoenix for any updates this week? Still on the fence, just wondering if u guys found out anything new.

Thanks

Hi tarpon21,

I haven’t received a call back yet so I sent another email earlier today to Sophie (who is my contact there) asking again for either her or someone at the factory to call me.

Phoenix

Sorry guys. I have had such a crazy few days at work that I have just kind of taken a few days away from the search.

I will get back into my research soon.

Right now I am leaning Christeli…but if Restava can give me some confidence back…they are not completely out of it.

Hope you two are well.

BRandon

Hi tennisbanker and tarpon21,

I heard back from Sophie and the person I would need to talk with about the information on the tag will be out of town this week so it seems that I won’t be able to find out any further information until next week.

Phoenix

Hey guys, hope all is well.

Thank you for the update Phoenix and I can wait another week, it may be worth it. I’e come this far lol. But yes, please keep me posted next week what you find out regarding the densities and your final thoughts based on your expertise.

Tennis, I’m with you bro. Both are great beds and I also remain on the fence. I think it might be worth waiting until Phoenix speaks to the right person, but you can’t really go wrong with either. Let me know what you decided and keep in touch.

Talk to you guys soon.

Tarpon

Hi Phoenix,

I know you are busy, but any update on if you were able to discuss the specs of the Restava with the correct person?

Many thanks.

Hi tarpon21,

The last reply I received from Sophie earlier this week asked me to send her the tag and a link to the thread (which I did the same day) and that “worst case” she would be able to review it with the people who would know and get back to me by Friday.

Phoenix