Restonic Tempagel Mattress Comparison Help?

First of all, I am yet another person that is very happy to have found this forum!! I have been reading through many threads over the past hour and have gained much useful information. Thank you!

My boyfriend and I are looking to upgrade our mattress. The one we have now was purchased about 6 years ago, and has done the job but is not nearly as comfortable as new ones - which we are now in a position to be able to afford.

We looked at the Restonic Tempagel mattresses, and the iComfort and Optimum mattresses. The salesman selling Restonic was very happy to print us off spec sheets for the mattresses we were interested in – at the major retailer we asked if there was any printed information to take home on the iComfort or Optimum and he looked at us confused and pointed again at the sticker on the bed. From what I am understanding, neither of the latter brands are recommended?

A very important feature of a mattress to me is how long it will last. If we are spending a lot of money, I want this mattress to last us a long time!!

Out of these two spec sheets, does one seem more durable?

Tempagel health rest Restorative euro top mattress ($3600)

Comfort layers:
Outlast temperature regulating cover
1 1/2" antimicrobial cool comfort quiltflex foam plus 7/8" soft foam quilted to cover
2" tempagel space foam
2" organic talalay latex

Support foams:
4" firm 1.8lb density support foam
4" extra firm core form

Tempagel health rest Revive mattress ($2600)

Comfort layers:
Outlast temperature regulating cover
2" tempagel space foam
2" ultra breathable and pressure relieving 4lb Thermocule space foam

Support foams:
4" firm 1.8lb density support foam
4" extra firm core form

The Restorative was more comfortable of the two, but it is a ton of money, and is the comfort at the sake of having materials that won’t hold up?? We didn’t mind the Revive which was firmer and a lot less money. The prices above include boxspring, all taxes, and delivery.

Opinions?

Hi twopointrdr,

Just in case you haven’t read yet … the first place I would start your research is post #1 here which is a mattress shopping tutorial and has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best choices.

A mattress is only as good as the quality of the materials and components that are inside it regardless of the brand label that is on the specific mattress so I don’t recommend specific brands. instead I recommend a series of steps that is focused more on the materials inside the mattress than the name of the manufacturer. The “best” brands are the ones that disclose the specifics and quality of all the materials inside the mattress so you can identify any weak links in the mattress and make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

Unfortunately the specs of this mattress are incomplete and don’t include the density of all the memory foam or polyfoam layers or the type and blend of the latex (which is less important because all latex is good quality but if the latex is talalay then it’s not organic and it’s more likely to be blended Talalay latex). You density of the tempagel “space foam” and the 4" extra firm core.

I would also be very cautious about any mattress that used more than about an inch or so of unknown density polyfoam in the quilting or comfort layers and this one uses 1.5" of polyfoam (quiltflex) and another 7/8" of soft foam quilted to the cover (almost 2.5" in total) which is more quilting foam than I would be comfortable with over the memory foam and latex and could be a weak link in this mattress. At the very least I would also want to know the density of both of the quilting layers.

This one is also missing the density of the Tempagel “space foam” and the 4" extra firm core but at least it doesn’t have the 2.5" of softer and lower density or unknown quality quilting foam above the memory foam.

I would want to know the missing specs (the density of any polyfoam or memory foam layers and the type and blend of any latex) before I considered these.

You can read more about the factors that can affect the useful life of a mattress (which is relative to each person) in post #4 here

You have some of the quality specs of these two mattresses but you would need all of them for me to make any meaningful comments or identify any weak links in either of them (although I would be especially cautious with the first one).

Phoenix

Thank you for your comments.

I believe the salesman said that the core is 4lb foam on both mattresses. Which I believe should suffice as I am 125lbs and my partner is 155lbs.

The top foam on the most comfortable mattress is what worries me as well. I will ask if they know the density (which I am curious but doubtful that they will)

I will also ask about the density of the gel foam layer.

Thank you

Hi twopointrdr,

4 lb memory foam would be fine for most people of your weight and while it would still less durable and less costly than a 5 lb version of the same type of memory foam the tradeoff would be worth it to many people because for many people 4 lb foam “feels” better than some higher density memory foams.

I agree that when there are 2" or more of unknown foam in the top layer of a mattress that it could be a more risky purchase because foam softening could have a bigger effect on the loss of comfort or support and on the long term feel and performance of the mattress.

Phoenix