Restonic Tempagel Mattress Comparison Help?

Hi twopointrdr,

Just in case you haven’t read yet … the first place I would start your research is post #1 here which is a mattress shopping tutorial and has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best choices.

A mattress is only as good as the quality of the materials and components that are inside it regardless of the brand label that is on the specific mattress so I don’t recommend specific brands. instead I recommend a series of steps that is focused more on the materials inside the mattress than the name of the manufacturer. The “best” brands are the ones that disclose the specifics and quality of all the materials inside the mattress so you can identify any weak links in the mattress and make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

Unfortunately the specs of this mattress are incomplete and don’t include the density of all the memory foam or polyfoam layers or the type and blend of the latex (which is less important because all latex is good quality but if the latex is talalay then it’s not organic and it’s more likely to be blended Talalay latex). You density of the tempagel “space foam” and the 4" extra firm core.

I would also be very cautious about any mattress that used more than about an inch or so of unknown density polyfoam in the quilting or comfort layers and this one uses 1.5" of polyfoam (quiltflex) and another 7/8" of soft foam quilted to the cover (almost 2.5" in total) which is more quilting foam than I would be comfortable with over the memory foam and latex and could be a weak link in this mattress. At the very least I would also want to know the density of both of the quilting layers.

This one is also missing the density of the Tempagel “space foam” and the 4" extra firm core but at least it doesn’t have the 2.5" of softer and lower density or unknown quality quilting foam above the memory foam.

I would want to know the missing specs (the density of any polyfoam or memory foam layers and the type and blend of any latex) before I considered these.

You can read more about the factors that can affect the useful life of a mattress (which is relative to each person) in post #4 here

You have some of the quality specs of these two mattresses but you would need all of them for me to make any meaningful comments or identify any weak links in either of them (although I would be especially cautious with the first one).

Phoenix