Review of Arizona Premium Mattress Co / mattresses.net

Got my mattress today as promised! Very excited to sleep on it. After 2 weeks of sleeping on the sofa, anything sounds like heaven right about now. Just as a side note - the delivery guy was very, very nice. I canā€™t wait to see if my husband and I can sleep in the same bed comfortably - weā€™ve had years of sleeping on a mattress where I could feel him breathing. Any time heā€™d turn over it felt like an earthquake. Iā€™m a super light sleeper so itā€™s been rough going.

Reading Joshā€™s review, Iā€™m a little concerned that it will be too soft for my husband. We got a 100% natural talalay medium with a 2 inch topper. I begged my husband to go to the showroom with me to try them out but he didnā€™t want to - he travels and says he can sleep on anything but, he does have back issues so, Iā€™m concerned that it might be too softā€¦ weā€™ll seeā€¦

Hi wildflower,

Thatā€™s great news ā€¦ I know it can be exciting when you finally receive a mattress youā€™ve been waiting for :slight_smile:

I would keep in mind too that one personā€™s ā€œsoftā€ is another personā€™s ā€œfirmā€ so only your own experience will tell you which it is for you (and again it also depends on the ā€œtypeā€ of softness that you are most sensitive to).

Iā€™m looking forward to your feedback once youā€™ve slept on it.

Phoenix

So, weā€™ve only slept on it a couple nights and so far so good but, it feels as though the edges are rounded downward. Like if youā€™re laying close to the edge, youā€™d roll off. And at the top, it feels like our heads are lower than the rest of the bed. Iā€™m going to get a level and check but but my husband and I noticed the same feeling - like the bed is not square, that all the edges sort of turn down. I actually vaguely noticed it when I went to the showroom and tried out the bed. I mentioned it to Greg but he brushed it off but, without my saying anything to my husband, he brought up feeling the same thing.

Anyone else notice this?

Hi wildflower,

They probably are to some small degree ā€¦ the cover is meant to be tight (although it will stretch a bit as part of the normal break in period) and will compress the edges more than the center of the mattress.

Thatā€™s not an unusual ā€œfeelingā€ either on a new sleeping surface where your alignment is different from your old mattress and could easily be because your shoulders are sinking in more than you are used to on your old mattress.

All of this is part of the normal adjustment process over the first 30 days or so that goes with any new mattress. You may also need to change your pillow because your old pillow may not ā€œfitā€ your new mattress because the ā€œgapā€ between your head and the mattress may have changed.

Phoenix

1 Like

Oh, we are definitely not giving up on the mattress and are totally prepared for an adjustment period. I guess my concern is that I noticed this exact same sensation when I went to the showroom and laid down on their mattresses there. I mentioned it to Greg and he looked at me like I was nuts. He even unzipped the cover so I could see that the mattress edges arenā€™t rolled down but, I definitely felt the sensation at the showroom and Iā€™m assuming those mattresses are much older and broken in so, Iā€™m concerned if I felt it there, then itā€™s not something unique to a new mattress. I also never said a word to my husband about it but when I asked him the morning after our first night on the mattress what he thought, his first reaction was to say it felt as if the edges pulled down and that he would roll off if he got to close to the edge and that it felt like his head was hanging back lower than the rest of his body. So, he felt the exact same sensation that I felt on the showroom mattress and on the mattress we just got. We will have to see if we can get used to it.

Also, we did change our pillows - we are both using the new pillows that came with the bed.

Hi wildflower,

Latex mattresses donā€™t typically have ā€œedge supportā€ so if you are used to a mattress with firmer edges then this may account for what you are feeling. Again , itā€™s usually a matter of getting used to a different sleeping surface. The edges of a mattress will often feel a little softer because the edges compress a little easier than the parts that have material on each side of them.

The ā€œfeelingā€ of having your head lower could be because you are sinking in to the latex differently from the mattress you are used to (your upper body and shoulders may be sinking in more deeply). It could also be because of the pillow you are using which may not have the best thickness to keep your head and neck in the best alignment for your sleeping positions.

If is just a ā€œsensationā€ that you are not used to ā€¦ then this would be part of your adjustment period. If it is from the pillow then it would be a matter of making sure you are using the most suitable pillow for your needs and preferences. The pillow thread here has more information and links to some good resources about pillows.

Phoenix

Fellow foamheads,
Ok, Iā€™ll try to keep this brief. The product here is unique at itā€™s cost/quality point, but itā€™s starting to become a dubious value proposition when you consider the order fulfillment issues. I was counting on being able to swap out my medium core for a firm core, and this was part of what led me to mail order from APMC. Ken has very good responsiveness by email, and this tends to give me the ā€œwarm and fuzzyā€ that this isnā€™t some fly by night op.
Unfortunately, you have to be able to deliver what you promise. About 5 weeks after ordering my replacement, Iā€™ve now received my second replacement half core. The first was for a Queenā€“understandable since few couples sleep on a full, thatā€™s just a human mistake. Ken was good about getting it picked up and the replacement sent to manufacturing.
I just got a replacement core in the correct size with firm written on it, but itā€™s actually a medium. Itā€™s visually (hole diameters), weight, and firmness (pressure at displacement) identical to the medium itā€™s meant to replace and just as distinguishable from the firm. So thatā€™s the second time Iā€™ve broken the mattress open and packed and unpacked the box after lumping it up the stairs. When youā€™re already working 6-7 days a week, still having this on the honey-do before you go on another month long work trip full up sucks. My life sucking it right now isnā€™t APMCā€™s fault, but a poor product fulfillment process is.
Iā€™ll let you know how Kenā€™s response to this one is-heā€™s been a reasonable guy so far. Latex foam recce photos attached.

J

PS Hmm. Seems to not want to let me use the file attach button. Iā€™ll try another browser than Chrome.
PPS Nope, I guess I donā€™t have permissions to attach. Youā€™ll have to take my word for it.

Hmmm, interesting. I called on Friday to replace our medium with firm and was told Iā€™d have to call back on Monday as the owner is out of town.

I will have to be on the lookout for a similar issue. Iā€™m luck in that we live locally but still, the turn around time is pretty long. I would be quite irritated by fulfillment errors given the amount of time it takes to get the product.

Please keep us posted.

I have to say Iā€™m very surprised by how soft the medium mattress is. Iā€™ve never been a firm mattress person but, the medium is what I would equate to a soft conventional mattress. I wake up with an aching back every morning. Iā€™m praying the firm is better because so far, I donā€™t love this mattress the way I thought I would. I still have that sinking head feeling - like the head of the mattress flows downward like a waterfall. My husband isnā€™t even sleeping in the bed because itā€™s so soft and he doesnā€™t like that the edges roll downward.

Hi uiuc_josh,

Thanks for the feedback.

Your experience is a little unusual because Ken is usually right on the money with the layers and components he supplies but of course everyone can make mistakes and Iā€™m sure heā€™ll do what is necessary to ā€œfixā€ them. While his wait times can sometimes be a little on the longer side (although they seem to be getting shorter) ā€¦ he is certainly a ā€œgood valueā€ proposition as you mentioned unless you have some unfortunate glitches along the way. Keep us posted how things turn out.

All the members here have the permissions to post attachments but the template code has an error which can make the attachment button finicky and it renders differently in different browsers. If you click in the window where the attachment is listed (beside the number) or in various places on the edges of the ā€œadd fileā€ button (make sure it doesnā€™t change color) then the file upload window will come up and you can choose the file to attach. In the worst case ā€¦ you can email me the pictures (at the contact link at the top of the page) and Iā€™ll attach them to your post for you.

Phoenix

Hi wildflower,

It would be very unusual for Ken to make the same mistake twice :slight_smile:

Latex is an unusual material and there are many who are surprised at how soft it can seem in higher ILDā€™s because of its point elasticity (ability to take on the shape of the body and compress independently in each area). Others are surprised at how firm it feels to them because of its compression modulus (it gets firmer faster with deeper compression than other types of foam). It really depends on what you are used to or the ā€œtypeā€ of softness you are most sensitive to (see post #15 here) and the overall layering and design of the mattress.

Phoenix

1 Like

Ahh, there it is. Added photo for reference. Thanks!

J

Since Iā€™m about to exchange my medium for a firm, can you tell me what to look for? I saw the picture and it looks like the one on the right has larger holes than the one on the left. Iā€™m not sure which one is supposed to be the medium and which is supposed to be the firm?

Hi wildflower,

There are many different pincore patterns used to make latex foam and the compounding (air / latex mixture and other factors) will also make a difference in the firmness of the foam so you would need to go by the expertise of the supplier because most consumers wouldnā€™t be able to tell the difference between different types or ILDā€™s of latex based on how it looks unless there was a clear and obvious difference that you could feel.

Phoenix

wildflower,
Yeah, Iā€™d agree with that. At first I wasnā€™t sure it was different; and as Phoenix said, maybe itā€™s a different manufacturing process, but since APMC makes their own, a different manufacture process did seem unlikely. The density was noticeable different, and the acid test was sitting on it. The firm resists quite nicely at about 3-4" of depression on a 6" core to both my wife and I, while the medium compresses almost seemingly through the thickess. I also put my fist into it and ā€œmeasuredā€ the force to achieve about 3" of compression. If only I had a 16 lb mass shot, I could do this pretty scientifically!

Josh

Hi uiuc_josh,

Just to clarify ā€¦ APMC doesnā€™t actually donā€™t make their own but buy latex made by some of the same latex manufacturers as other mattress manufacturers use ā€¦ primarily Latex International (Talalay), Radium (Talalay), Latex Green (Dunlop), and Latexco (Dunlop).

It can also be difficult to identify the relative firmness of a layer using ā€œapproximateā€ methods that use different surface areas of compression or that canā€™t measure the compression force accurately but if the difference is clear or obvious (which it seems to be in your case) then more approximate methods can certainly give you an idea of which of two layers is firmer if you are comparing the same types of latex.

Phoenix

This has been an interesting thread.

I am on the verge of buying a latex mattress from Ken. Wait time doesnā€™t bother me. Comfort of the final product does.

Just concerned about what to expect. Donā€™t like purchasing a mattress online. But I do like a bargain. I talked to Ken and he strongly recommended the medium even though I normally like a firm mattress.

I have tried out the latex mattresses at a few local places and generally prefer medium to firm. But then again I donā€™t spend a night sleeping on them.

I currently sleep on a standard 22 yr old mattress and box spring. Probably Beautyrest or something similar. Itā€™s quite comfortable still. Just need to downsize my bed for the new bedroom. And I donā€™t want a box spring.

I prefer a firmer mattress and Greg strongly suggested the medium and I found it way too soft. I called Ken and he had me take the 2" topper and move it to the bottom so we are sleeping directly on the core and it is better but, I think still too soft. To me, a medium latex mattress is like a softer conventional mattress. With the topper, itā€™s way too soft.

I couldnā€™t tell a huge difference between the medium and firm when I went in to the showroom but they all had the toppers on them (i think?). Anyway, I do think we will end up switching our medium out for a firm. If its too firm, we will still have the topper which really does make it softer.

Hi wildflower,

Thanks for the feedback,

I would tend to give things a little bit of time before making changes. Latex (or any new material) can change in terms of how it feels as you adjust to or get used to a new type of mattress or material. In the case of latex it can feel both softer and more supportive at the same time than people are accustomed to even though your alignment and pressure relief may be good (it gets firmer faster than other materials as you sink in more). Once you have slept on it for a couple of weeks (which is usually the minimum amount of time that would be a good indicator of your longer term experience on the mattress) then I hope you have the chance to share your feedback once again and if you do decide to make an exchange then it would be great to hear how it works for you as well.

Phoenix

How much time do you recommend? We slept on the mattress as it was set up by the delivery guy (medium core with 2" topper for 3 weeks before deciding it was definitely too soft. I called Ken about it and he suggested moving the topper to the bottom of the bed and sleeping directly on the core which weā€™ve been doing for the past 2.5 weeks. It still feels too soft to me. I also still get that sensation of rolling off the mattress. In fact, when my daughter comes and gets in bed with me in the morning and I have to scoot to the middle of the bed, itā€™s so much worse - it feels like Iā€™m really having to struggle to stay in the middle and not roll towards the edge. My husband feels the exact same sensation. We arenā€™t big people - both of average height and weight. So, Iā€™m not sure whatā€™s going on other than maybe itā€™s just too soft?

Hi wildflower,

If you slept on the original configuration for 3 weeks and on the mattress core for 2.5 weeks Iā€™d say that was long enough for you to get a clear sense of how it will feel for you in the longer term.

Itā€™s always amazing to me how different people are in terms of their firmness choices because what you are sleeping on is much firmer than many people (including me) would be comfortable with and for others it is still too soft. Some people even struggle with the firmness of 24 ILD latex or in some cases even softer but thatā€™s what makes all of us unique.

It sounds like it may be time to talk to APMC about an exchange for a firmer core.

Phoenix