Review of Arizona Premium Mattress Co / mattresses.net

Update on my earlier post: I did receive the mattress last week, after a wait of 6 weeks. I have no complaint whatsoever about the mattress. It completely fulfills my expectations - and yes, Phoenix, I am back to elation. I am enjoying it immensely and the past few days I have slept very well. I was on travel the week before and stayed at a couple of different Ritz Carltons, and their mattresses did not compare to the comfort or support of this Talalay. I also really enjoy it with the S-Cape.

As far as my review of the service, there really isnā€™t much to change. The experience was frustrating and the responses and explanations were inconsistent and not credible. I said that I would not buy from APMC again; I would modify this to say that I would not absolutely rule it out, though I doubt that I will buy from them again. I really donā€™t think the savings was worth it. Nevertheless the product was good and, if I didnā€™t mind waiting 6 weeks and getting a run-around, and if price mattered more than all other factors and they were 15-20% cheaper than other sellers, then I might consider APMC again. I am replacing a total of 10 beds so now I have 9 to go, and I am going to try somewhere else for the next one. If that works out well then I will go ahead with the remainder from that vender as yet to be determined; otherwise, Iā€™ll keep trying.

Hi Da,

Thanks for the update!

Iā€™m very happy that the mattress ā€œworksā€ for you ā€¦ and elation is much better than disappointment :slight_smile: ā€¦ even if itā€™s still tinged with some disappointment with the wait and communication.

I know that the extra 2 weeks (or 2 1/2 if the original timeline was 3 1/2 weeks) was frustrating and not a great thing to have to deal with but at least you have a great mattress ā€¦ and now that the holiday season is over and any delays that are connected with it are over (what you experienced with them is certainly not their norm) ā€¦ at least you always have a good option to fall back on if you decide to give them another chance.

Thanks again for taking the time to let us know it arrived and how long it ended up taking.

Phoenix

Yupā€“these guys are not fast. I went with the adjustable setup, and based on Kenā€™s last email, it will take about 40 days total to delivery. Kenā€™s been very good at answering questions, so itā€™s not like Iā€™m upset or anything. They just are not particularly fast, and they donā€™t really seem to have a good handle on their production pipeline timing in the first couple weeks after sale.
Though I would like to try the new mattress out, Iā€™m not particularly in a hurry (I did procrastinate four or five years on this mattress, after all)ā€“itā€™s just that I get tasked to leave town on an unplanned work commitments and with my family gone, planning delivery with a 2-6 week delivery window is a bit tricky. I do not want to get stuck on a boat (literally, this time) when the mattress finally hits my doorstep. This will probably not pose an issue for most of your readers, but there you have it. I think having a more definitive time-to-ship from APMC would definitely help their direct sale business out, even if the news is a little more pessimistic than 2-3 weeks. As long as the mattress meets our needs, I think the value proposition is still decent, at any rate. Let you know more when it does get here. Thanks for keeping the site upā€“thereā€™s a tremendous amount of value here for the consumer.

Josh

Hi uiuc_josh,

Thanks for the update.

Their delivery time certainly seems to be longer than their norm and it will be interesting to see how long your mattress ends up taking.

I agree with you that overestimating time frames is much better than underestimating them.

Phoenix

Ken emailed me back when I related that I might have to adjust shipment and tells me heā€™ll ship a little earlier to help me with the travel conflict. Will let you know how this works out. Again, Iā€™m very happy with the level of responsiveness here. Weā€™ll see how it actually goes.

I am happy to hear you refer to Kenā€™s company as one of the ā€œbest of the best.ā€ I need some immediate relief for my back and will be spending more time in bed because I am starting a 24 week course of treatment. I donā€™t have the time or money to buy a new mattress at this time. I am a senior with no car. I see that Kenā€™s company has a 3" Queen Natural Latex Mattress Pad Topper #25 ILD. Latex Mattresses On Sale - Latex Mattress Toppers - Phoenix, AZ Would this carry me through treatment? My other option is waiting till fall and visiting Cost+Mattress in La Verne, CA.

By the way. I am using the Chrome browser. When I visit this forum with Firefox with privacyfix installed, I cannot post here.

Hi beahaven,

I would talk with Ken about this. While itā€™s certainly a good quality topper with great value ā€¦ itā€™s suitability for your needs and preferences would depend on the mattress you were putting it on, your own body type and sleeping positions, and on exactly what changes you were hoping to make.

If your mattress has no sags or soft spots and is just too firm ā€¦ and a 3" 25 ILD Dunlop topper is the most suitable topper for you ā€œin theoryā€, then it would certainly be a great choice, but there is no way for me to know how it would feel for you without a more detailed conversation and information (and this isnā€™t the kind of service I have time to provide) so I would definitely suggest a conversation with Ken would be in order.

You can see some subjective topper guidelines that may give you some sense of how suitable it may be in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

I donā€™t know how privacy fix works but the forum uses fairly standard settings (sometimes I tweak the session times or the cache settings in response to traffic or various other issues) so I would have no idea how to fix any conflict that may arise. That would be outside of my expertise unless someone that was familiar with Joomla (the CMS I use), Kunena (the forums software I use) ā€¦ both of which are open source ā€¦ and knew how they may interact with firefox with privacyfix installed was able to duplicate the error and provide some specific suggestions.

Phoenix

Yep. On week 6 of a promised 4wk wait. I donā€™t doubt that the mattress will be great but it bothers me that there seems to be some bending of the wait time in the sales process.

Hi Tyler,

I know that sometimes Ken gets behind his usual wait times when volumes get heavy. Have you called him to see what he says?

I agree though it would be nice to let people know ahead of time that they may be facing a longer wait or perhaps ā€œerrā€ on the side of longer waits because itā€™s not always possible to be exact.

Phoenix

Ya I spoke with them a few times over the first three weeks and then I just kinda figured it was an issue in their supplier configuration since most people online were saying the time fluctuation was a week link in arizona premium.

You guys are making me nervous. I ordered two weeks ago today and was told it would be 2 - 2.5 weeks (Iā€™m local). When I checked with Ken, I was told it will be delivered on Tuesday. I will check back on Monday but, Iā€™m nervous. We havenā€™t had a bed in over a week (totally our fault - we put our set up for sale thinking it would take a while to sell and it sold the same day). Sleeping on the sofa for the past week has been pretty brutal. Iā€™m praying they have their delivery schedule kinks worked out.

Hi wildflower,

I hope your Tuesday delivery happens right on time as well. Itā€™s certainly no fun having no bed!

Either way ā€¦ I hope you let us know.

Phoenix

UPDATE

Since the time of my last post my order has cleared with a tracking #. The bottom line is their products and prices are solid and I would even say that their customer service is pretty alright. The buyer simply needs to be aware that they are not the best option if youā€™re currently sleeping on the couch or floor and in a rush for a new bed

Hi Tyler,

Thatā€™s great news :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it and have had a chance to sleep on your new mattress!

Phoenix

So Iā€™ve had the mattress (one side firm, one side medium) for about 2 months now. We are very happy with the firm side, but the medium side was surprisingly soft. Both of us (both 5"8", me 180, wife 135) prefer the firm side, but the wife more insistently than I, so Iā€™m on the medium side. I enjoy it OK for side sleeping, but the lack of support bothers me for sitting in bed or stomach/back sleeping (yeah, Iā€™m all over the place), so Iā€™m trading the core on my side (best idea ever, by the way) in for a firm core. It should be here in a day or two, and then a hundred bucks or so to ship the old one back and I think weā€™ll be very happy. I like the consistency of the mattress, and it seems pretty good at isolating motion.
More to follow after I sleep on the firm side consistently for a month or so. After an initial wait in January, Iā€™ve been pretty happy with the customer service from Ken. At this point, Iā€™d recommend.

J

Hi uiuc_josh,

Thanks for the update :slight_smile:

Itā€™s not unusual for people to be surprised at the softness of latex even in the medium range even though others are surprised at its firmness. Itā€™s one of those things that depends on the ā€œspecies of softnessā€ that people are referring to or most sensitive to.

I also think that layer or core exchanges are a great idea ā€¦ and so much better than starting all over again :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to your next report when youā€™ve had the chance to sleep on your new layers for a while.

Phoenix

1 Like

Got my mattress today as promised! Very excited to sleep on it. After 2 weeks of sleeping on the sofa, anything sounds like heaven right about now. Just as a side note - the delivery guy was very, very nice. I canā€™t wait to see if my husband and I can sleep in the same bed comfortably - weā€™ve had years of sleeping on a mattress where I could feel him breathing. Any time heā€™d turn over it felt like an earthquake. Iā€™m a super light sleeper so itā€™s been rough going.

Reading Joshā€™s review, Iā€™m a little concerned that it will be too soft for my husband. We got a 100% natural talalay medium with a 2 inch topper. I begged my husband to go to the showroom with me to try them out but he didnā€™t want to - he travels and says he can sleep on anything but, he does have back issues so, Iā€™m concerned that it might be too softā€¦ weā€™ll seeā€¦

Hi wildflower,

Thatā€™s great news ā€¦ I know it can be exciting when you finally receive a mattress youā€™ve been waiting for :slight_smile:

I would keep in mind too that one personā€™s ā€œsoftā€ is another personā€™s ā€œfirmā€ so only your own experience will tell you which it is for you (and again it also depends on the ā€œtypeā€ of softness that you are most sensitive to).

Iā€™m looking forward to your feedback once youā€™ve slept on it.

Phoenix

So, weā€™ve only slept on it a couple nights and so far so good but, it feels as though the edges are rounded downward. Like if youā€™re laying close to the edge, youā€™d roll off. And at the top, it feels like our heads are lower than the rest of the bed. Iā€™m going to get a level and check but but my husband and I noticed the same feeling - like the bed is not square, that all the edges sort of turn down. I actually vaguely noticed it when I went to the showroom and tried out the bed. I mentioned it to Greg but he brushed it off but, without my saying anything to my husband, he brought up feeling the same thing.

Anyone else notice this?

Hi wildflower,

They probably are to some small degree ā€¦ the cover is meant to be tight (although it will stretch a bit as part of the normal break in period) and will compress the edges more than the center of the mattress.

Thatā€™s not an unusual ā€œfeelingā€ either on a new sleeping surface where your alignment is different from your old mattress and could easily be because your shoulders are sinking in more than you are used to on your old mattress.

All of this is part of the normal adjustment process over the first 30 days or so that goes with any new mattress. You may also need to change your pillow because your old pillow may not ā€œfitā€ your new mattress because the ā€œgapā€ between your head and the mattress may have changed.

Phoenix

1 Like