Review of Arizona Premium Mattress Co / mattresses.net

So weā€™ve now done a full swap, with the original soft topper replaced with a medium 3" topper, and the firm core swapped for a medium core. Both layers are around 30 ild (I think the core is a little below 30 and the topper is talalay and like 31)

Weā€™ve had it for almost 2 weeks, and my wife is already telling me that she is going to start sleeping on the couch in a few days because she hates it so much. She says she just doesnā€™t like foam mattresses and that this one is still too firm. With the cost to send these back being so high, I really donā€™t want to do yet another comfort swap, plus do I really want to have a soft core?

Iā€™m not really sure what to tell her. Sheā€™s convinced that latex mattresses are horrible ("hotel mattresses arenā€™t foam and theyā€™re comfortable, she says) and that I should get a ā€œnormalā€ spring mattress. I got latex because it lasts longer, but I think sheā€™ll kill me if I stay on the latex pathā€¦

Hi scb.

For some people the elasticity of latex is not their favorite ā€œfeelā€ and for others they couldnā€™t imagine sleeping on anything else. Softness and firmness are subjective perceptions and what feels firm for one person is soft for another. Each person can have very different subjective perceptions on the same mattress. Of course the quality and value of your mattress is great but this is only part of what is important in a mattress purchase and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) are just as important.

Latex is a very high quality material but that doesnā€™t mean that itā€™s everyoneā€™s preference and there are many people prefer other materials or mattress designs. If your wife doesnā€™t like the ā€œfeelā€ of latex (which is of what your comments appear to indicate) then it would make more sense to acknowledge that this was an incorrect choice based on your wifeā€™s preferences and testing experience (on the mattress)

It is correct that hotel innerspring products tend to be the most common by far, but I wouldnā€™t spend time attempting to exactly replicate a hotel mattress Overall, hotel mattresses are not a single ā€œtypeā€ of mattress and have a wide variety of different feels to them. They do however tend to be in the general category of what many would call ā€œmedium firmā€ which means that they have a medium plush layer over a firmer support core. This ā€œfeelā€ tends towards the average preference of a wide cross section of the population, including yours from the preferences you described. A more recent trend has seen hotels choose mattresses that are a bit firmer feeling and then relying heavily on various ā€œtop-of-bedā€ products to achieve their overall comfort (such as plush mattress pads and polyfill toppers). These are easier to replace and launder, and offer a more cost-effective solution to add a bit of plushness to a mattress.

From what you describe it seems that a ā€œnormalā€ spring mattress with a suitable comfort layer would better suit the feel she is looking for and I suggest that you discuss this option with Ken as they have pocket coil springs to match a variety of feels. He is talking about this very subject of the ā€œknown feelā€ that people are looking for in his recent Expert article Hybrid Mattress. Feel free to summarize your experience and discuss your options with him. (When you submit your comments at the end of either of his articles this will create a new topic in our forum) With his extensive experience in the mattress industry he is always the first one to recognize if he cannot help a customer and will point you in the right direction.

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding after your discussion with Ken.

Phoenix

latest update: I called Ken, and due to some miscommunication along the line, it turns out that our ā€œMediumā€ topper is actually a #32 ILD topper, so more Firm than Medium. Weā€™re getting a #28 instead.

Hi scb,

Thank you for the update. From what you described so far the medium core with the 32 comfort layer may still be too firm for you and the topper change to 28 ILD may be just the right combination. I hope this is the final twitch to get the combo work for you and that your wife is getting used to the feel of latex as this something that cannot be twitched to get right and it is more a matter of personal preference.

I am very glad that Arizona Premium is working so closely with you to ensure you get the best configuration. I look forward to any further update you may have!

Phoenix

Iā€™m backā€¦

So itā€™s been 52 days by my count since we got our last comfort exchange, and the wife has informed me that the current setup (28ILD code and 28 ILD topper) gives her back pain.

I donā€™t know what to do at this point. Ken told me that they reset their 60 day ā€œclockā€ on each exchange, so technically that would mean I could still do another exchange or return, but at this point I feel bad that I keep on doing exchanges, since itā€™s been going on since September.

Iā€™m guessing that a latex core just isnā€™t for my wife, and that sheā€™d be happier with an innerspring core, so the hybrid pocket coil/latex topper sounds like maybe itā€™s what we need.

But, in order to do that, Iā€™d have to return these latex cores to Ken, see if heā€™d exchange for the combi-zone base, and then swap out our covers since Iā€™d need a cover for an 11-12inch mattress instead of the 10inch cover I currently have. That would leave me with the 28 ild topper, which may be too firm on top of the spring base.

I almost think itā€™d be easier to just return this whole thing and place a new order, though that would cost me moreā€¦

I guess I can call Ken and see what he says. I just feel bad at this point, almost like Iā€™m abusing the return policy.

Hi scb.

Thanks for your update. Sorry to hear that the mattress and long labored adjustments are still not working for your wife, :frowning:

You are very lucky to work closely with a manufacturer that has your best interest at heart and goes out of his way in trying to make sure that things work out and you end up with a product that is a good match. I see why you would be hesitant to take advantage of yet another layer exchange only to find out that it might still be off. It is not that easy to find a mattress that is suitable for two people with very different needs and preferences and I understand why you are looking for an ā€œout of the boxā€ solution at this point.

I agree with you that calling Ken and deferring to his knowledge and best judgment call can help you move forward to a good outcome. He is very knowledgeable, and with his ā€œout of the boxā€ approach, I have no doubt that he will give you his best.

I hope that with his assistance youā€™ll be able to find a good solution, that your wife will be happy with.

Phoenix

[quote=ā€œscbā€ post=76488]Iā€™m backā€¦

So itā€™s been 52 days by my count since we got our last comfort exchange, and the wife has informed me that the current setup (28ILD code and 28 ILD topper) gives her back pain.

I donā€™t know what to do at this point. Ken told me that they reset their 60 day ā€œclockā€ on each exchange, so technically that would mean I could still do another exchange or return, but at this point I feel bad that I keep on doing exchanges, since itā€™s been going on since September.

Iā€™m guessing that a latex core just isnā€™t for my wife, and that sheā€™d be happier with an innerspring core, so the hybrid pocket coil/latex topper sounds like maybe itā€™s what we need.

But, in order to do that, Iā€™d have to return these latex cores to Ken, see if heā€™d exchange for the combi-zone base, and then swap out our covers since Iā€™d need a cover for an 11-12inch mattress instead of the 10inch cover I currently have. That would leave me with the 28 ild topper, which may be too firm on top of the spring base.

I almost think itā€™d be easier to just return this whole thing and place a new order, though that would cost me moreā€¦

I guess I can call Ken and see what he says. I just feel bad at this point, almost like Iā€™m abusing the return policy.[/quote]

I might be able to comment a little on the hybrid option as well as my general consensus on beds in general, which is directed at anyone shopping for a new bed.

After educating myself here and a few other resources, I came to the conclusion to go with the purchase of an ā€œQueen Eco Sleep Hybridā€ mattress with 3" #28 (medium) topper from Arizona Premium along with their natural wool mattress cover and wood foundation.
Iā€™ve had this ensemble for a little over six months now and I can share my thoughts and experience about the process and outcome, for what itā€™s worth.
First, I must say that the reason for wanting to try latex was because of chronic back problems. However, living in a rural area, I would have to purchase anything (other than conventional innerspring bedding) online.

So, there was the wait which I excepted and therefore no surprise. Then when I did receive the package and began to put everything together, it was very quick and easy. The firmness was surprisingly much like the mattress it replaced (which was an older ā€œSealy Posturepedic Plushā€ model with box spring set) but the big difference I found was in the better feel or conformity to my body weight. (190 lbs) The perimeter of the mattress did not have any ā€œroll offā€ due to the coil design so sleeping or sitting on the edge was no different than a conventional inter spring. Over all, this hybrid set has passed the test for PPP and I believe I made a great purchase with comparative little money for quality materials without any regrets.

Now, having said thatā€¦ even though this was a step up in all respects to an overall better bed, it has not helped my back issues and this is where I think some people go wrong in thinking that if I just juggle the right combination of materials it will solve all of their sleep problems. Well, Iā€™ve come to the conclusion that while the ā€œrightā€ bed can be purchased this way and improve oneā€™s sleeping in various degrees; thereā€™s also the misguided premise that thereā€™s a magic bed which exists that can be the solution to stop real physical anatomy problems and then it all becomes unrealistic.

In other words, I did everything right in the research and purchase of a latex bed and I ended up with a quality bed for a good price thus achieving the goal of owning a bed that can help me sleep within the confines of the expectations for the most a bed can achieve for myself in particular.

Hi Smitty.

Thanks for your ā€œreturnā€ and forum contribution. Also belated congratulations on your ā€œunder the hoodā€ mattress purchase. :lol: I am glad that Arizonaā€™s bed is serving you well. You are one of the thousands of people that visit The Mattress Underground each day who quietly do their research and go wisely about their purchase.

You bring up a good point that it would be unrealistic to expect that there would be a ā€œmagic bedā€ that can ā€œsolve all sleep problemsā€ for those that have health-related or postural issues and that each individual has to assess for themselves and learn to discriminate between issues created by an unsuitable mattress and health-related issues. It is true that sometimes it can be difficult to untangle the mixed body messages and feelings as they relate to mattress needs and preferences, but with a bit of experimentation one could get a clearer picture, or at least have an educated guess and then half of the battle is wan.

Thank you for your input and for your TMU loyalty :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Back againā€¦

So after swapping multiple layers and probably driving Ken crazy, we ended up with the hybrid pocket coil and 3" 28 ILD latex topper. The wife has not complained at all and seems very happy. Iā€™m very happy with it, too.

Iā€™d like to publicly state that Ken was extremely professional about this whole thing, and even though we probably drove him crazy, he never acted like it and seemed to genuinely want to make sure were happy in the end. I canā€™t recommend Ken enough after this excellent customer service

Hi scb.

Thanks for taking the time to share. I am glad you are ā€œback againā€ and this time with ā€¦ very good news. Congratulations! :slight_smile:

Yes, I must agree that youā€™ve had quite a journey with finding the best feel and the right comfort for your mattress. (Not an easy task for those of us who are a bit more sensitive.) You certainly chose something using good quality and durable materials.

Itā€™s always nice when forum members return to post about the ā€œprofessionalā€ and helpful treatment theyā€™ve received from our Trusted members (or from other stores). We have our fair share of the 3-Cs (Complain, Condemn, Criticize), so itā€™s nice to have an affirmation that there are more people out there doing the right thing for their customers. As youā€™re aware, Arizona Premium is a site member here and I do think highly of them, their products and their service. I am glad that Ken was so helpful ā€¦ he must be turning into a saint by now. :stuck_out_tongue: :

I look forward to any updates or input you might have.
Phoenix

Hello everyone,

Wanted to post my great experience with Arizona Premium Mattress and Ken. I, like many, went through some ā€œparalysis through analysisā€ of mattress options. My wife and I were upgrading from a cheap, $250 inner spring queen mattress to a king mattress. We first looked at all of the common bed in a box options like Casper. I then came across this forum and learn a lot about latex mattresses. I spent hours comparing all latex options, full latex, bed in a box, etc. In reality, any of these mattresses would be a huge upgrade from our current mattress. One of the first latex mattresses I found was the APM Ultimate Hybrid. I should have saved hours of my life and ordered the mattress as soon as I found it.

Ken was awesome to work with and answered all of my questions promptly. We ordered the Ultimate Hybrid in Cali king medium talalay. My wife is a stomach and side sleeper, and Iā€™m primarily a back sleeper. After a couple of weeks we received our mattress. It was packaged great and was easy to assemble. I am extremely impressed with the quality of materials used. Ken and his company certainly donā€™t cut corners or skimp on quality. We received the mattress before our new bed frame, but couldnā€™t wait and started sleeping on the mattress on the floor. We have loved the mattress from the first night we slept on it. We sleep so much better than before, have dreams almost every night, never wake up, never wake each other up, and more! I feel like we get less sleep now than before, but itā€™s a much better quality of sleep and we feel well rested every day we wake up.

Overall I highly recommend the company and wouldnā€™t change a thing, except I wish I decided on the ultimate hybrid much sooner and saved the time I spent researching!

I agree have had mine for almost 2 months now. The Ultimate Hybrid is an awesome high quality mattress.

Thanks Amelik2 & Pjcruiser for your participation on The Mattress Underground and your support of our trusted member, Arizona Premium Mattress Co. Ken and his team are a great example of the type of select companies that are members of this site.
Happy Holidays!

TMU Admin

Iā€™m going to provide a full post later about my experience with APM including, wait times, customer service and the product itself.

Their product is outstanding and fit my needs perfectly. If you want a warehouse network and fancy showrooms, and money is no object maybe you can find a better bed and a smoother buying process. Maybe you wonā€™t have to wait as long, but for me, Iā€™d rather litterally buy it from the factory and deal with long wait times.
As Americans, we have come to expect everything, everywhere, instantly at our fingertips with one click.

More about my experience later, but I canā€™t see myself sleeping on anything other than APM from now on. Ive been on a mattress quest for 6 monthsā€¦ it didnā€™t take 6 weeks, but if it did, I would wait.

If I were going to buy 9 more especially if they werenā€™t time sensitive and I loved that product I wouldnā€™t think of going through all of that again.

Hi beck5879,

Thanks for sharing your experience with longtime Trusted Member APM. Ken goes above and beyond in assisting consumers to find their ideal sleep solution. Also, glad to see you are aware of the many issues in the supply chain over the last few yearsā€¦it can sometimes make it difficult for businesses to stay on top of orders when raw materials canā€™t be procured in a timely fashion, especially for smaller & family owned manufacturers. good to hear you are willing to wait for a good mattress!

Please let us know your experiences once you have had some time with your new mattress. Wishing you many nights of peaceful, comfortable sleep!

~ Basilio