Review of first Latex Mattress Purchase (Sleep EZ)

With some help researching what we needed on this forum and the advice over the phone we received from Sleep EZ I made our first online purchase of a mattress and first latex purchase as well, sight unseen. Obviously it was concerning to do this because of the potential of making the wrong choice, but since the local options were poor we “rolled the dice”.

Our Vitals: I’m 6’4 240lbs and my wife is 5’3 130lbs. I am a side and stomach sleeper and she is primarily a side sleeper.
Our Mattress: We purchased the Blended Talalay 13000 series (13") King Mattress with matching foundations. Split all the way up with my side as Extra Firm/Firm/Medium/Medium and Wife as Extra Firm/Firm/Medium/Soft and the traditional wool cover.

-Setup was pretty easy and with both of us working it took about 90 minutes to build both foundations and put the mattress together. No major hiccups in the build process.
-The mattress did not have a strong smell at all (and I’m very sensitive to smells) it had a light rubber smell as we opened the packages that disappeared within 1-2 hours. The pillows however had a stronger rubber smell that took 2-3 days to go away.
-Sleeping on the mattress has been very nice, I wake up without any back pain, I am able to get to sleep quicker, and wake up less in the middle of the night. It transfers some motion through the frame if either of us is jostling around, but I am much less likely to wake up if someone steps out of bed to use the restroom.
-As a side bonus, I expected the free pillows to end up in the closet with all our other extra pillows since we already had pillows we were happy with. However, after giving them a couple days to air out we are both using the free latex pillow as our primary pillow now.

I am more than happy to answer any questions anyone has that is considering a similar purchase.

As a side question as I’ve been researching all the components of the bed to give us a better night sleep I’ve been a little bit stuck on comforters. We’ve slept with just sheets and a quilt, but it really doesn’t give that “cozy” feel you get with a comforter. So a while ago we purchased a down comforter. We love the feel of it as it’s light, but has a nice cozy loft to it, and is very soft. As we both can sleep hot we purchased the Summer/Tropical variant which does not have very much fill. However, we both wake up sweating even if the room is 65-68 degrees, which is what we typically keep the temperature in the summer.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a comforter that has the great soft feel of a down comforter (vs. a quilt or blanket), but breathes a little better and doesn’t sleep so hot??

Thanks!!

thanks for the review. I don’t have a particular recommendation, but you may want to check out this article on comforters.

Hi Adam61,

Thanks for your review. I am curious about how your wife feels about her latex configuration. I am of a similar height and weight and also a side sleeper, currently with 3 - 3" layers Extra Firm, Firm, Medium. I am looking to add a 4th layer, maybe a soft 3" blended talalay. This would be pretty close to what she is sleeping on except that my layers are natural latex. Is it comfortable for her? I think it might be more difficult to get it right when you are lighter and primarily a side sleeper.

I also enjoy down comforters, but my husband is allergic to them, so we use a down alternative… not bad, they are better these days, lighter and softer than they once were.

Thanks,

Diane

My wife prefers a firmer mattress so she found the XFirm/Firm/Med/Soft perfect. I believe they have an X-Soft at Sleep EZ you can request or do 2 Soft’s as top layer if you prefer a softer feel. She’s been very happy with her setup as is, but like I said she prefers a firmer feel.

Thanks for your reply. I thought I liked an extra firm mattress, but xfirm, firm, medium is way too hard!

Hi adam61,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up buying and for your update and feedback about your initial experience as well.

It sounds like the mattress and the split layering is working very well for you.

Most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Bedding isn’t one of my areas of expertise so I don’t have any specific suggestions but there is some information and a few down comforter manufacturers listed in this thread that have some good information on their site and are knowledgeable about down products in general and their own products specifically that should be able to provide you with some good information about which type of down comforter would most likely be suitable for you.

A wool or silk comforter may also be well worth considering because they are both light and good temperature regulators and can be used in a fairly wide range of temperatures. This thread may also be helpful (Budgy’s comments in particular as he is one of the most knowledgeable people I know about bedding products) along with post #3 here which includes a list of some of the manufacturers of wool comforters that I’m aware of that would also be well worth talking with.

jankdc’s link about comforters also has some good information (thanks jankdc :))

Phoenix

Hi…Re: comforters…We just ordered a wool/alpaca comforter ( in summer weight as I tend to sleep warm). It’s from Crescent Moon… We were told very good quality and will not make you sleep too hot as a down comforter will. We have not yet received, so fingers crossed we’ll like it. Quite costly, but at this point we’ve already invested quite a chunk on a new latex mattress as well, so may as well go for it and hope for some sound sleeping!

Hi adam61,

This sounds similar to a configuration my wife and I are trying out with Sleep EZ. However some slight differences.

We went with the 10,000 model with a 3" Talalay wool topper.

My side from Bottom too top Extra Firm Dunlop/Firm Dunlop/Medium Talalay and Medium Talalay in the topper
My wifes side is from Bottom to top Firm Dunlop/Medium Dunlop/Medium Talalay and Soft Talalay in the topper.

Our mattress arrives Monday/Tues depending on the weather. Sounds like you are getting some good sleep and we are looking forward to ours too. Did you by chance get the shredded latex?

Thanks for the update CentralPA

Hi Lisa, I’ve seen, felt, and on a couple occasions nearly bought that crescent moon duvet from tmasc.ca in Canada. It’s an exceptionally nice premium duvet from all accounts. I’ve got a crescent moon dust mite cover, and it’s very well made. I’d be curious your review of the duvet.

Hi …dn, we’ve purchased it from TMASC:)
Should hopefully receive all over the next couple of weeks. Will post feedback following those initial few nights.